1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I'm a coder. How is CMS for me?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by weaver01, Feb 14, 2012.

Hello everyone,

A long time ago I heard that the best way to create websites is to learn HTML and CSS and to code your websites from the ground up. I'm into coding the front end of a website and doing graphic design so that I can fully customize my pages although admittedly I am not so good at the scripting languages yet although I hope to get there eventually. I always thought Wordpress was for non-DIY types so I overlooked it but quite recently I found out that Wordpress, Joomla, and Drupal are used for the content management of a site and that Drupal is good for bulletin board systems.

So apparently I don't know everything about CMS and I suspect that there are some things that a CMS might be able to do better than I probably ever will. What I wanted to know is, for someone who's comfortable with the design process, how can I integrate my coding skills into it? Also, do people who are good at PHP use CMS for their sites? I've got the impression from what I've seen that CMS isn't just like Dreamweaver in a WYSIWYG context (although from what I understand Dreamweaver is good for organizing code and other stuff) and that it is something beneficial to everyone.

weaver01, Feb 14, 2012 IP
  2. jolamar

jolamar Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try not to think of Wordpress as a system that is similar to Dreamweaver. Think of Wordpress as a tool that will allow you to build (or download) themes and then easily add content to pages or posts (not much difference between the two). Being familiar with HTML/CSS and PHP is good for developing themes for wordpress (and most open-source CMS systems) See here for Wordpress Theme Development codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Development

--
    Lil Josh
    liljosh.com
    web developer

jolamar, Feb 17, 2012 IP
  3. greencap

greencap Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is easy to use even for someone who doesn't know anything about coding.

Integrating your coding skills in CMS? Yes, learn how to develope plugins for wordpress for doing different things.

greencap, Feb 23, 2012 IP
  4. cat-ger

cat-ger Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I' not a coder but have some CSS, HTML and PHP "Read-Skills" and "copy&Paste-Skills", it wasn't actually very hard to understand Joomla Template coding for me as no-coder, so i think it won't be a problem for you at all. CMS is good for never having to go into code after all is set up. Just write you articles

cat-ger, Feb 28, 2012 IP