1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Illustrator or Corel Draw?

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by toxictaz, Sep 15, 2011.

1. myrocky

myrocky Peon

Best Answers:
    i think they are both creative to use.. .but i still prefer using adobe illustrator.. .since, post printing shops in my area are atoned to AI and i guess that is the advantage over it.. .

myrocky, Oct 6, 2011 IP
  2. apolnest

apolnest Peon

Best Answers:
    I have used the Illustrator and Corel Draw before. Sometimes I make something in Corel Draw and export to Illustrator or vice versa before tweaking it for the final product. But I think it depends upon the artist and the project he/she will be doing.

apolnest, Oct 8, 2011 IP
  3. TR765

TR765 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Like comparing apples to oranges!

TR765, Oct 8, 2011 IP
  4. myrocky

myrocky Peon

Best Answers:
    i really think that it depends on the location where youre at.. .if i may say so.. .like here in my community, most printing shops, if not all uses AI.. .so it would really be practical that i am using AI instead of Corel.. .although both of them are great in producing quality vector/graphic arts.. .

myrocky, Oct 9, 2011 IP
  5. Brown Crow

Brown Crow Peon

Best Answers:
    How is that a problem? With Corel you can export to .ai as well as publish to PDF... I just downloaded the
    trial version of Corel, and although I think it is unfamiliar at first when you're used to Illustrator, I would
    probably consider Corel if I was going to invest in a proprietary vector program. Illustrator alone costs $599,
    exactly the same amount as CorelDraw Premium suite X5, that in reality is the equivalent of the entire
    Adobe Creative suite (which costs 1899$). So when it comes to bang for the buck, you get far more value
    for your money by choosing Corel.

Alternatively you could just use Inkscape, which is free and open source :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
    Brown Crow, Oct 9, 2011 IP
  6. logoonlinepros

logoonlinepros Member

Best Answers:
    Being a designer i must suggest you Illustrator for because, this is more advanced graphic and having useful features. I have just stared to use Illustrator and i got very excellent results.

logoonlinepros, Oct 10, 2011 IP
  7. VIP Minisites

VIP Minisites Peon

Best Answers:
    Illustrator is the best :)

VIP Minisites, Oct 11, 2011 IP
  8. scarrott22

scarrott22 Peon

Best Answers:
    "this is more advanced graphic and having useful features"

I still haven't been told one single feature that Illustrator has, that Corel doesn't have, with the exception of closer integration with Photoshop (though you can actually set Corel up to integrate fully in about 10 mins, there are instructions online). I've just read another few posts saying that Illustrator is more advanced, or Illustrator has more features. HOW??? Could someone enlighten me? I gave a list of a handful of the advantages Corel has. I've used both over the last 10 years (90% Corel mind) and am yet to find out what these magical advantages Illy has are!

I'm not trying to start an argument, just people often post the tangible advantages of Corel on these forums, and the response is just 'illy is industry standard' or 'illy is better' or 'illy rules', but never any reason. It worries me how easily brainwashed people seem to be into parting with 3 times the cash!

Incidentally, any printer worth their salt (and my company is printing and graphic design) should be printing from PDFs anyway, not illustrator files where you are likely to have endless problems with fonts.

scarrott22, Oct 11, 2011 IP
  9. KaricS

KaricS Peon

Best Answers:
    Illustrator is better in my opinion because for any reason if you wanted, you can transfer it to other Adobe Products.

KaricS, Oct 11, 2011 IP
  10. trudent

trudent Peon

Best Answers:
    I would also suggest illustrator as it is the industry standard.

trudent, Oct 12, 2011 IP
  11. konoozi

konoozi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Sounds like my position when I started working here. I can't help you on a website link, but I can share my experience. I was on a crappy PC with Corel Draw 9 and a copy of Photoshop 4.0 LE. (We now have a G3 iMac with the Adobe Suite that came with PS 7, AI 10, and ID 2).

Corel Draw in my experience was horrible. It frequently had some sort of program error that sent me back to the drawing board too many times, the interface is horrible, screen redraw was bad (this is even on a 2Ghz XP machine these days). Perhaps I'm biased because I love Illustrator so much, but I find it's interface far more intuitive and I'm a lot more creative with it than I ever was with Draw (it felt more like a chore).

The ONLY thing I liked about Corel Draw was it's ability for multiple pages, and the Corel TRACE program (why oh why can't they sell this software seperately? Or at least update Adobe Streamline to use OS X natively...).

The single best argument (as you said) is that Corel Draw just isn't all that compatible with the print world. Almost any graphics place has Quark, Photoshop, Illustrator, (and InDesign is finally starting to make the rounds), but when I had Corel Draw, it was difficult to find a place around here that dealt with it. Heck, Corel is even phasing out their Mac software (if they haven't already). Of course, you can export files and such into EPS, but I sometimes had conversion problems when opened by Illustrator on the other end. Not to mention multiple page output in seperate files isn't always fun. The Adobe Suite is standard, and you'll know that 85% (or higher) of the places will deal with it.

I'll warn you on one thing about Illustrator 10...that program had 'some' problems too, primarily with printing (or refusing to print). Not always, but every now and then it would give me such an issue. I have been using Illustrator CS at home for about six months and have found that they've corrected a lot of the problems I was previously having with output. Of course, the CS suite or standalones might not be within your work's budget.

konoozi, Oct 12, 2011 IP
  12. shadel

shadel Peon

Best Answers:
    i'm using Corel Draw but so many bro suggest Illustrator, i think i will take a look at that

shadel, Oct 12, 2011 IP
  13. blazinblue

blazinblue Peon

Best Answers:
    illustrator is better for me, complicated but once you get used to it , you will love it

blazinblue, Oct 13, 2011 IP
  14. fuma1986

fuma1986 Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Illustrator

fuma1986, Oct 14, 2011 IP
  15. Alxkyotr

Alxkyotr Peon

Best Answers:
    I like using Illustrator for several reasons, I was used to experienced Photoshop and his explanations and courses are intensive :p

Alxkyotr, Oct 14, 2011 IP
  16. dennis.thakkar

dennis.thakkar Peon

Best Answers:
    yhee illastratur is fat better than corel draw

dennis.thakkar, Oct 16, 2011 IP
  17. DavidWincent

DavidWincent Peon

Best Answers:
    Illustrator is always preferred over Corel draw. It has advanced graphic features. A professional will always go for Illustrator.

DavidWincent, Oct 18, 2011 IP
  18. etat solaires

etat solaires Peon

Best Answers:
    all returned to the person wearing the software, because the design is not only the software that determines the ability, creativity of the people who contribute more. I use Corel, though many of my friends who suggest using adobe, once again back to the people who use it:eek:

etat solaires, Oct 27, 2011 IP
  19. WHeaven

WHeaven Member

Best Answers:
    Illustrator for me. Generally, I looooove Adobe products.. :)

WHeaven, Oct 28, 2011 IP
  20. web4infinity

web4infinity Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Corel for vectorizing. It's much more easier to drag the points and play with the Bezier curves.
    What I don't like about it are the keyboard shortcuts. I'm used with those from Adobe.

web4infinity, Oct 29, 2011 IP