1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

ikobo <<< increased popularity

Discussion in 'General Business' started by SoniaJr, Jan 7, 2005.

1. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Ive gotta say Ive just used iKobo very recently for the very first time and am very displeased, not so much with their service but their false advertising. On the homepage of iKobo it states "iKobo sends the person receiving the money a Free i-Kard (Visa Debit Card)." This is completely untrue. The only way to withdraw funds is to have an i-kard sent out to you (which I thought was free) but just discovered it costs $5 USD to have one sent out. Now knowing this, it was hardly worth my while even going ahead with the transaction.

dcristo, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  2. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    Look at it from this point of view: perhaps $5 is for postage, not for the card. That doesn't mean I'm trying to defend them.

subseo, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  3. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Thats a valid point. When you associate something as being free, usually you would assume shipping costs are covered? I made that wrong assumption.

dcristo, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  4. SoniaJr

SoniaJr Peon

Best Answers:
    If you check their website you will find that it is exactly as ArticleFactory said: the ikard is free but you must pay 4.95$ for it's delivery. I am not defending them either.

SoniaJr, Feb 21, 2005 IP
  5. Doughty

Doughty Peon

Best Answers:
    I think people just feel too boring when reading company’s ‘terms and conditions’ or some other information. I am talking not about just one company, I am saying about all the companies in general.
    So to my mind it’s better to spend sometime for reading the website, and make sure you learned everything about the company than feel sorry after a while.

Doughty, Feb 21, 2005 IP
  6. daemeh

daemeh Peon

Best Answers:
    Perhaps you're right Doughty, anyway, regarding this ikard discussion. At the time I got it it was completely free, I mean I received some money into my account and then the card was shipped and I got it without paying anything. It's true, recently that has changed, and now you have to pay that $5 fee. Anyway, I don't think it's a hidden fee, or false advertising or whatever, since the delivery prices are clearly stated here

daemeh, Feb 21, 2005 IP
  7. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Theres no way thats a shipping fee. Saying the card is free is false no matter what they have on the page you posted. What if the shipping was 69.95 ? Would you consider that card to be free.

Call it like it is. There is a $5 charge for the card

yfs1, Feb 21, 2005 IP
  8. SoniaJr

SoniaJr Peon

Best Answers:
    The card is free but the shipment isn't. It's so simple. When ikobo started it's business, their customers had to pay both for the ikard and shipment. But in time, ikobo lowered their shipment fees and also made the ikard free of charge. That's why we can safely call it as FREE. Anyway, I don't think this is the main topic here but I have to admit this has been fun. :D

SoniaJr, Feb 21, 2005 IP
  9. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Oh I see, I just didn't understand (sarcasm)

The truth is the cost to ship the card is around 50cent...The original poster is correct, it isn't free. Why are you being so defensive?

yfs1, Feb 21, 2005 IP
  10. SoniaJr

SoniaJr Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not being defensive and I surely don't understand your sarcasm. I just explained why ikobo said their ikard is free. On the other hand, they should have explained that the shipment isn't free but I don't consider their message as incorrect because they published their shipment fees on their webpage.
    BTW: try sending a package to Romania for example. I am sure it will take more than 50 cents to do that.

SoniaJr, Feb 21, 2005 IP
  11. daemeh

daemeh Peon

Best Answers:
    OK, I think we've discussed it enough. Let's leave it at this: you have to pay something in order to have the ikard in your hands, be that something either shipping fees or the ikard itself I don't know (although I think 50cents for delivering it is way too cheap).
    Anyway, I for one don't consider $5 to be such a great financial effort, in order to get something quite useful (IMHO), then again, that's just me! :p

daemeh, Feb 21, 2005 IP
  12. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    Daemeh, I second your opinion.

Moreover, I think if there is someone more enterpreneurial, here is something to try: affiliates seem to be getting $10 for everyone they will refer to IKobo, so just find out someone who is an affiliate and get him to pay you $5-10 if you sign using her/his referral link. Though, I am not sure whether this is allowed - read the IKobo rules on your own if you want to.

PS. I have put up one affiliate link on my web but no one signed up seemingly so I can't tell you whether those $10 are for real :)

subseo, Feb 23, 2005 IP
  13. anusha

anusha Active Member

Best Answers:
    anusha, Feb 25, 2005 IP
  14. daemeh

daemeh Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, they're for real. I received about $20 for referring 2 friends of mine so I suppose it's safe to say it works. Don't think what you're suggesting is allowed, but who knows, it wouldn't hurt asking them. ;)

daemeh, Feb 25, 2005 IP
  15. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Its more the point of being mislead, then the dollar value.

dcristo, Feb 25, 2005 IP
    yfs1 likes this.
  16. daemeh

daemeh Peon

Best Answers:
    In understand, but as I've said I don't consider this misleading... the fees are there after all. Anyway, maybe this just me since I got mine for free back in the days when it was free. It seems ikobo has their phases, in one phase the ikard costs (about 2 years ago or more), after that it's free (up until half a month ago or something), and now the shipment costs. I suppose the next phase is to make it free again... or not. :D

daemeh, Feb 25, 2005 IP
  17. SoniaJr

SoniaJr Peon

Best Answers:
    That's what I already said. ikobo is changing their fees structure according to their sales plans (I guess) so, I wouldn't be surprised to see a free shipping in the near future. Anything is possible. I already have the ikard so it won't matter much for me :(

SoniaJr, Feb 25, 2005 IP
  18. daemeh

daemeh Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I suppose it won't matter all that much to us since we already have our ikards. Anyway, we can't know any of this for sure and we should concern ourselves with other more important matters such as good advertising for our stores and so on. Can't wait for ikobo's new improvements which should happen sometime in the next month.

daemeh, Feb 26, 2005 IP
  19. SoniaJr

SoniaJr Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems that you know more than most of us. What new improvements are you talking about ? Don't be shy, what did you find out about ikobo ?

SoniaJr, Mar 1, 2005 IP
  20. daemeh

daemeh Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, first of all I want to say that I am by no means trying to keep this thread alive for whatever reasons since I've got none!
    That being said, ikobo promised a while ago the introduction of recurring billing, also supposedly a site makeover and of course, as we all hope, fixing of the MC problem. That's about all I know, but it's no secret, you can read this in their monthly newsletter and also by speaking with someone from livehelp.

daemeh, Mar 2, 2005 IP