1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

IIS vs. Apache

Discussion in 'Apache' started by Help Desk, Mar 16, 2005.

1. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Could not have been me Bling, I don't play that game and my votes don't count anyway :p

Don't sweat the small stuff man :eek:

anthonycea, Mar 28, 2005 IP
  2. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    That's pretty much expected when you put words like Linux and Microsoft or IIS and Apache in one sentence :)

J.D.

J.D., Mar 28, 2005 IP
  3. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's funny that people are offended by this. MS is taking lessons from Apache though. They are aiming for low-cost hosting like you see with Linux and PHP. I think MS finally realizes that these "small-time" web developers grow up and become "big-time" sooner than later.

Help Desk, Mar 29, 2005 IP
  4. davedx

davedx Peon

Best Answers:
    I found the inverse to be true... of course, it really depends on the intelligence and civility of the participants :D

ThinkBling, what are the advantages of running .NET code as stored procs? Improved connectivity is what springs to mind immediately here, but I don't really know, never had need to use stored procs... even though I spent about a year doing db coding at one point :confused:

davedx, Mar 29, 2005 IP
  5. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    I find that most vocal are those who know only one OS :) Mac folks used to really brutal in debates in the before-OS-X days.

J.D.

J.D., Mar 29, 2005 IP
  6. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't see how stored procedures improves connectivity. I also find that shifting much code into stored procedures makes the code much less flexible as it isn't possible to create SQL statements on the fly (effectively, you replaces your high-level language, e.g. Java/C#/C++/etc, with somewhat primitive SP language).

J.D.

J.D., Mar 29, 2005 IP
  7. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    IIS6 was a rewrite.New installations will se the difference right away, but if you upgraded from IIS5, the server will be configured in IIS5 compatibility mode, which is somewhat less optimal from the performance and security point of view.

J.D.

J.D., Mar 29, 2005 IP
  8. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Why is it so surprising to you guys that many hate M$, a convicted monopolist that locks out software companies and robs users by charging excessive fees :confused:

You can talk to kids in college studying computer science and most of them hate Microsoft.

Ask Josh our 13 year old coding star here at DP, he hates M$, there must be a reason that our brightest young people do not like Microsoft.

Sergey hated them too when he was young and set up Linux servers for friends and you see where he is today.

Hate and questioning the status quo is good.

anthonycea, Mar 29, 2005 IP
  9. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    Anthony, these are two different things - the company and its software. We are discussing the software here - how fast, how flexible, how reliable, etc, it is, not the company.

J.D.

J.D., Mar 29, 2005 IP
  10. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    OK JD, I do understand that, but I was responding to Blings question and I quote it below.

Originally Posted by ThinkBling
    It's funny that people are offended by this.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

anthonycea, Mar 29, 2005 IP
  11. redking

redking Member

Best Answers:
    There are alot of dumb nubs here on Digital Point. I dunno why they would give you a bad rep mark for posting a honest, thoughtful question. Too many OS zealots.

redking, Mar 29, 2005 IP