1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Iframe and cookie question. Not cookie stuffing

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by LikeButta, Oct 1, 2006.

I'm using PPC ads for a campaign. I personally don't think the merchants landing page is optimal. I believe I can increase my conversion rate by tailoring the landing page to the visitor based on the keywords. I'm creating a landing page which has my marketing for the merchant at the top and an iframe below that loading my affiliate link to thier ad with the caption "see below for more details".

Before I roll it out I want to make sure I get credit for any conversions. To test I cleared my cookies and loaded the affiliate link normally and received 4 cookies. I cleared the cookies and loaded my custom landing page and received only 3 cookies.

The cookies I receive are:
    apmebf[2].txt, emjcd[2].txt and s1.srtk[1].txt

The cookie I am missing is
    <merchant name>[2].txt

When the affiliate link is loaded in the browser normally, the address bar changes to a path on the merchant site with the query string '?src=cj&pcode=cj&cpath=aff&rsrc=aff'. I believe this process may be held up in the iframe or for some reason IE security isn't letting this one third party cookie through.

Does anyone know what cookies are required for proper tracking? I have a partial solution involving loading the affiliate link in partially hidden new window and closing that immediately after load. However, this is worthless for anyone with a popup blocker which is a significant amount of people.

Any help is appreciated.

LikeButta, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  2. LikeButta

LikeButta Peon

Best Answers:
    Obvious stuff only comes to me once I post a question to a public forum :mad: Don't know why I'm fighting this when my affiliate has content links to set up on landing pages.

I am new to affiliates so I have an excuse. :rolleyes:

Anyways, my question still stands though for future circumstances. Does an iframe typically break the tracking or perhaps in this case? Or does it typically work, and the missing cookie likely was unnecessary?

LikeButta, Oct 1, 2006 IP
  3. ask2gaurav

ask2gaurav Peon

Best Answers:
    Some browsers allow third party cookies and in some browsers, like Internet Explorer, it depends on the privacy settings of the browser. In IE6 (Internet Explorer 6) with the default privacy setting of ‘Medium’, third party cookies will be deleted.

As it turns out, there is a simple solution. If you supply a ‘compact privacy policy’ with your page, then IE will treat the cookies with respect and let them through.

ASP.Net code
    HttpContext.Current.Response.AddHeader("p3p", "CP=\""IDC DSP COR ADM DEVi TAIi PSA PSD IVAi IVDi CONi HIS OUR IND CNT\""")

PhP code
    header('P3P:CP="IDC DSP COR ADM DEVi TAIi PSA PSD IVAi IVDi CONi HIS OUR IND CNT"');

For more information on this, please visit this url:
    http://viralpatel.net/blogs/2008/12/how-to-set-third-party-cookies-with-iframe.html

ask2gaurav, Dec 23, 2008 IP
  4. pslotman

pslotman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i think iframe cookie is not working

pslotman, Jan 26, 2009 IP