1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

IF you buy a link, or run a Pay only directory..Uh Oh!

Discussion in 'Directories' started by LinkGuru, Aug 2, 2007.

1. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Im glad that you said that...;)

You know why...
    Because its partially the truth :eek:

If a webmaster is smart enough he doesnt have to spend thousands..
    and sooner or later it will get to the top by itself or sooner with just a few
    quality links pointing to it...

EX: 33zq Directory Seo Link Directory

This site was built a few months ago and is part of the network, link building
    was really minimal and i did nothing but do the keywords and its naturally
    starting to show up in a few places i targeted...

Now i have a question...

Why doesnt google ban yahoo or business.com for "paid links"?

Maybe thier scared that the backlash would be to great
    and it may cost them Millions if not billions for that mistake..

PS...
    If google would have paid its editors DMOZ then you wouldnt have the
    all the drama and scandals thats unfolded about PAYING for inclusion to a free directory

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Aug 6, 2007 IP
  2. Velocity

Velocity Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think so. I believe that link is completely ignored by search engines.

Velocity, Aug 6, 2007 IP
  3. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    Wont let the opportunity pass, will he. How about this one? Would you give this hitchhiker www.tinyheartsfoundation.org a ride in your shiny new metallic SUV? If this guy asked for a network wide link on your directories would he get it?

workshop, Aug 6, 2007 IP
  4. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    lol

how do you know if my SUV is shiny or dull?

Have you been peeking..:p

Thiers to many people here that would frown due to jelousy and
    envy
    so its not in my best interest to show anyone my "pride and joy"
    as im a car enthusiest and have been since i was 16...

As for a charity site...
    Submit it and if its truelly legit then i wont charge for it and refund the fee
    in most cases as ive done it in the past...

I think that many think that since i own so many directories that i must make millions daily..
    Not hardly... Someday soon i hope to make back my investment till then its back to work

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Aug 6, 2007 IP
  5. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sure and that is true since we are looking for a perfect world since time in memorial which is paradise. There is no such thing as perfect and there will be not until the end of time but what really happens here now is betterment. The directory industry is just a small part of it whether you chose free or paid is up to your distinction of taste and there is nothing wrong with it. But people still choose to go and buy goods at JC Penney while they can go at the Sunday Market to pick up the same shirt. It all boils down to what your choices are and I choose to buy my Tux at Kohl's rather than 2 hand shop in the corner. The good thing in life is we enjoy the benefits of hard work and you go to a bar for refreshment and order a club soda for the amount $5 while you can drink it for a buck inside your home chatting to your pet dog. In the streets of uptown New York they pay some good big bucks to stay at the Waldorf Astoria to give them pleasure while some could manage it cheaper at the 24 Inn with the trailer drivers at the Bronx. Fashion designers still wait for advertisements with a cool fat budget at a long list in Vanity Fair just to get that week of pride to be glanced upon by these super models, actors and actresses. And Donald Trump will continue building his empire for a high fee while he can manage and offer housing at a low cost price for people in the hood. Vacation in the Carribean is still being bought at an amazing $3k for 1 person but some stick it to the local beach with crowds. As for paradise every person is still looking forward to be included in that place. We are just one part of that pie and most of us are working towards it as best as we could. The G7 has and been building the empire of perfection for the last 3 decades hoping to find that perfection and until then they are still looking for the right market.

I still don't know the answer to that but people still pay for that Golden Seat at ringside in a Boxing Championship at Las Vegas. Families still dine at Hollywood Boulevard or maybe I might be eating a steak at Outback rather than at the Golden Corral or best cook it at my own inside my kitchen.
    The republicans has always been shouting family values yet they failed in the House and Senate for the majority. My cleaning company has always been shining that wood floor to perfection for my clients in the past 3 years of its operation and still doing so and we never stop learning for the betterment just to make our clients happy and so far we get more happy clients than last year and the year prior and to this date we just learned that we could also do static floors in a static environment, is an amazing feeling that we really could learn and grow more.

popotalk, Aug 6, 2007 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  6. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    You are quick on your feet. And I hope that you are as good when the time comes to side step our friends from Google. But to put this in perspective "tinyhearts" are not going to tender the sort of fee you command in your directories.

They just submit and after having been around the block a few times I suspect its a scam. There is a hell of a lot of injustice in this world that I can do nothing about but despite that I approved two out of three submissions from them on the off chance they are ligitimate. I do what I can and I believe that its just as immoral to fleece webmasters by conning them into believing that PR is anything more than window dressing and the sales hype we all know it is. :)

workshop, Aug 6, 2007 IP
  7. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Hello...

Popo...

I dont feel that its right that you can have lobster and steak while i eat hot dogs and soy burgers... Have YOU no shame!
    I think that you should drop to my level and eat soy burgers because i cant afford to have your standards...

For those that claim that they cant afford something.. I say to them its time to move on to something that you can afford...

Do you think Google would give a flying xxxx that you cant afford that $2 dollar plus keyword on adwords? pffft you wouldnt even get a reply...

My suggestion is that webmasters whom cant afford a review fee to bypass what they want and cant have
    and get what they want where they are happy with thier investment... Nothing More Nothing Less

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Aug 6, 2007 IP
  8. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Dude as I have stated I run an offline business too. I dont really give a rats behind about the fees my company is charging for a 5 room carpet cleaning. In my line of business people have a choice whether to get my services or not and that is the great value of democracy that we live in. There are ads in the street that says 5 room carpet cleaning for $69.95 embedded just right there in the stop light but people still knows what quality service has to offer to that mere bait and switch that is killing the industry. We pay for gasoline for that trip from point A to point B and it doesnt come cheap. We invested in machineries knowing that it is more likely to bring that almost perfect cleaning that our clients is expecting. We pay for the landlines to talk to them to provide them with that custom service satisfaction as much as possible. Now tell me if Google has decided to suddenly interfere with my management just because he said so that I am doing wrong then we really need to sit down and point to me detail by details where I'm mismanaging my daily life.
    Welcome to my world I also am looking for answers at the Bait and Switch method in my offline industry and a continued fight against it.
    Sure and we pray fervently that one day all injustice would be eliminated, famine has been answered with bread. Thats good on your part and its a wonderful feeling that is great towards betterment.
    Yes and that salesman knocking on your door selling a product would loose a way of feeding himself and his family. May it be Page Rank or whatsoever it brings us to the conclusion that in my country there are people not eating 3 times a day and they are looking for jobs. They wipe car windows in the streets to gain 0.10 cents for a living. If you believe you are being conned by the plumber who just fix the pipe leak in your kitchen just because you hired a quality company then its up to your perception. Next time hire your neighbor to fix it up for you which does not guarantees or warantee the work and the just installed pvc pipe.

@malcolm1
    I eat happy meals too but I need to go back because I am missing 3 french fries. :D

popotalk, Aug 6, 2007 IP
  9. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    True. Its the same thing as everybody else does. If the bread is being given for free then everyone could stop selling their goods but until then business as usual and as Judge Joe Brown says buyers beware.

Thanks ;)

popotalk, Aug 6, 2007 IP
  10. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Hello...

Personally i believe that their are to many directories on the web and
    Part of the reason is that its the FREE scripts weeeeee
    Now everybody owns one and everyone is an editor because its Free

So now you have someone that doesnt even know the english language
    accepting sites and offering services that may get done or may not..

If the script makers where to charge just $5 dollars and abolish FREE then
    i can just about gaureentee that the crap directories would stop being built.

Though i know that will never happen due to competition

Let me tell you that ive tried my hardest to separate myself from the pack many times
    and adding mods that others didnt have so that i can offer more then the next guy then
    someone turns around and offers it FREE or adds it to thier scripts for FREE and manages
    to de-stabalize the industry as now you have Joe-blow with all the same tools i have...
    So much for being unique and different. :rolleyes:

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Aug 6, 2007 IP
    popotalk likes this.
  11. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The problem is not on free scripts malcolm the problem is with individuals and their intentions with their foresight to long term and running a legit business. This does not apply to directories alone. It applies to all those majority in the net whether their intention is true. As our friend has given us an example of a charity organization we dont really know if they run a special price for their service or they are a true legit organization and most of us who has the capability of checking them would certainly do so. One I would give them a call in my spare of ANY time just to make sure they are true. Two I would search their accomplishments and look for it. Three I would surely add them in its years of service and existence. Even the SEO has problems of their own because of that small guy behind who does SEO for an amount way lesser than his competition. Everyone has a problem in his field and that is Business.
    English is not my native tongue and i am sure a lot out there are not. But there are quite better peeps that do this more than the average english native speakers.
    Nobody can stop this. Not even Larry Page. The best thing he could is just sit back, relax and people will just distinguish themselves what are legit and not naturally.
    That is good and its betterment and i admire that in you. There is nothing wrong with so much directories and its like running a business with satellite offices everywhere.
    We have already experienced that situation and so much for that. The best thing to do now is to work towards betterment of ourselves individually. We were so excited to jump in the new fashion craze but same as the fashion trend it ways down and move on. The original Levis Jeans still stand out strong without just minor modifications. In the end they will still find you with or without these and that I understand now because they like your product that you offer. ;)

popotalk, Aug 6, 2007 IP
  12. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Hello...

Well what im saying is that I submit my nuclear energy site
    to the wrong catagory (by mistake) and "Singcora" from the republic on Congo
    has no idea what i am other then to look at the pretty pictures and make and
    estimated Guess of where it belongs (if he doesnt just click the approve link)

Now what good does it stand to have someone who cant even read the english
    description as an editor?

Why not do a directory in his own launguge?

PS... se ablar 2 idiomas porque mis padres eran argentinos
    (so lets not pull the race card as its not about that)

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Aug 6, 2007 IP
  13. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And that is how you will get the experience of tasting a Good Burger from a Rotten one which you paid for and that experience will lead you to be more careful on choosing which store you will go and spend your dollar on a good decent meal. ;)

popotalk, Aug 6, 2007 IP
  14. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    That only applies if we are talkng about Levis. Lets look at it another way however. If I am buying an imitation Rolex I will walk away a happy man after paying the going rate for an imitation Rolex watch. However if I am conned into paying three times the cost of the original I start getting a little tense and its not only in our industry where this sort of thing happens. Google for 'bangkok gem scam' and you will see what I mean.

Does it really work this way? Does a PR 5 link get you more mileage and closer to #1 than a PR0 link?

I accept that Dmoz carries more weight than the rest of us because it is an Authority Site but how much weight do they really carry. Secondly things get a bit blurred when we start to migrate from this ambiguous concept of Authority Sites to sites making a lot of noise

"insert smoke and mirrors"

and claiming to be "quality sites". I use the free directories and they work very well for me short term.

workshop, Aug 6, 2007 IP
  15. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    heheheh me too thats why im wearing it as we speak and you cant tell the
    difference and it costs me 50 bucks an works like a charm :D
    I cant and WONT spend my money for the real thing when i can have the exact same thing for less... ;)
    But then again i feel im a smart shopper as i always look for a deal...

I believe this to be correct because google has given a certain value to this catagory which is better then zero...
    BUT i noticed something the other day... when i created the catagory "Courior" for a UPS type submission i noticed that it got indexed super fast
    and is a really strong catagory being that its unique...

Well i agree as i use free directories also though only half will survive the 6 months as by then its been changed and i lost out on any links i submitted.
    ( I have a service that submits mine to all new directories) But i still manage to also submit to the paid reviews cause i know most will be around for a while

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Aug 6, 2007 IP
  16. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Dude, I understand what your going thru. The fact is whatever your desire and needs is up to your budget on that certain time and space. Lindsay Lohan is still drinking a Vodka and Orange at $35 a shot and would not stop her from buying it. I guess and its a personal choice in life whether you like free or paid but that is where your choice is gonna be.

Did I say this ? :confused:
    I dont know until my directory gets listed in there then I will let you know. But if your gonna ask about my company Maryland Floor Cleaners I have it in there at 123. :p
    When your an athlete its nice to have that medal hanging around your neck doesn't it, but when your a goon its not nice to have a rope hanging around it.
    Put it this way, a V6 engine has lot more power than a scooter.
    Sure why not, even natives in the US or everywhere does it. The politicians at Capitol Hill does it. Does anybody gives a damn ? Look dude as far as I know I am trying my best and same as you I suppose you have yours and I have mine. Watch Triple H performs in Summer Slam.
    Good for you and many of us here will continue to do what's best for us.

And lastly since i am going out for work. Life isn't fair. Indeed its not because I have been asking that same question since i was in Grade School when I still was in my country. I should have had a sandwich to bite when at times I had bananas for lunch or most of the time I want that soda to drink to taste it since I cant afford to buy it. When I grew up and migrated to the US I had the experience of earning some bucks by working and had the chance of eating Mcdonalds but I was looking now at the guy who eat Lobsters. Finally I had the chance of affording to buy a Lobster and now I still say that Life is not fair when Larry Page has some billion in his accounts while I have just surviving to pay my mortgages, monthly credit card bills, my children textbooks. But still I am working hard for this and will not stop me of anything. Just Human here.

popotalk, Aug 6, 2007 IP
  17. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    I am not so sure. Most people I have spoken to who have been in this business for awhile hold the view that there is zero or at best almost no relationship between PR and a sites position in the search engines rankings. Whereas certain sites, certain types of sites and even different domains can and do have varying levels of importance when link builing.

Once we have got that out of the way I think we can agree that a quality directory needs:
    a webmaster​
    quality content rather than quantity​
    to be viable ​
    to be run and viewed as a long term investment​

Is there anything else? Lets forget about eye candy. Lets forget about PR and SUV's and lets play ball in the real world

workshop, Aug 6, 2007 IP
  18. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. Commercial sites need to get link juice from somewhere.

bogart, Aug 7, 2007 IP
  19. workshop

workshop Guest

Best Answers:
    All sites need links but you dont gain anything other than possibly time by buying. Rather use the free directories if you are starting out.

workshop, Aug 7, 2007 IP