1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

If my forum is set for registered members only to be able to read the forum topics

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by ly2, Apr 29, 2006.

what will happen if the users find a thread in the serps and click on it? Will they be able to see the posts or will it take them to the signup page on my forum?

ly2, Apr 29, 2006 IP
  2. WebFreedom

WebFreedom Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know this for a fact, but I would think they would be directed to your signup page - anything else would seem to defeat the purpose of having a private forum. ;) You may want to test with another forum you know of that's private (and listed in the SEs), as this would probably be a good indicator of what will happen with your forum.

HTH,
    Sam

WebFreedom, Apr 29, 2006 IP
  3. gtzpower

gtzpower Peon

Best Answers:
    Assuming that your forum's posts will even show up in the SERPs, the users will get what ever you get when you try to view a thread without being logged in. However, the crawlers will get this same thing (since they are not logged in) thus these pages will never be indexed in the first place (unless they were indexed at a point when login was not required)

gtzpower, Apr 30, 2006 IP
  4. vlasta

vlasta Peon

Best Answers:
    what's the point of having member only access and simultaneously relying on search engines to bring traffic?

vlasta, Apr 30, 2006 IP
  5. bluesync

bluesync Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed, I would think it takes them to registration as well. Although, you have to do LOADS of modding your Forum to have Search Engines even look at it at all, not to mention index it.

bluesync, Apr 30, 2006 IP