1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

If I want to learn programming now, what language should I learn?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by drewcored, Feb 25, 2018.

Programming language that's the most in demand right now?
    SEMrush
    Anyone?

drewcored, Feb 25, 2018 IP
    SEMrush
  2. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Doesn't it all depend on what you are looking to build?

Programming Languages are similar to tools. Both a Hammer and Screw Driver are tools but are used differently depending on the task needed. Someone building mobile apps for Android would most likely use Java while someone building a mobile app for the iPhone most likely would use Objective-C... and if you were building a web site you most likely would use neither. The question is what are you looking to build?

For Web Development I still prefer PHP. But you can't go wrong with Python, Node.js, etc.
    For Windows Application programming I would use C# or Java....but these are just my preferences.

NetStar, Mar 4, 2018 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    By in demand do you mean by employers? by freelance customers?

1. Do you want to work for a tech firm and have the advantages of a stable income, peer support and career progression?
    2. Or do you want to work from home and have flexibility, a higher hourly rate and no workplace politics?

Depending on your answer you'll need different skills. If you answered #1 I'd start by going through your local professional job ads and seeing what skills are requested most often. If you know somebody who knows somebody in IT in your city then talk to that person about what trends they're seeing, what qualifications or work experience employers expect.

sarahk, Mar 4, 2018 IP
  4. hooperman

hooperman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    sarahk is right. See what the jobs sites are looking for. Compare the results for "php jobs paris" with ".net jobs paris" etc. to see which is more in demand. Also, searching for something like "php jobs paris" will give you popular supporting technologies like laravel, vue, mysql etc.

hooperman, Mar 5, 2018 IP
  5. ridem

ridem Member

Best Answers:
    I think Python is a very good language to start programming due to it's simple syntax.

And it's not just for beginning to learn to program, you can actually get very good paying jobs with Python.

ridem, Mar 5, 2018 IP
  6. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    It doesn't matter what is in demand, will you be in demand? OP, you should take it up as a hobby. Don't dream that you can just make it happen in a few short months. You can't be a proficient programmer without years of experience, no matter what language it is. Learning the fundamentals is one thing, being a skilled programmer is a completely different story.

qwikad.com, Mar 5, 2018 IP
  7. drewcored

drewcored Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you guys for the response.

I do have a backgorund in programming (php and MySql). I've created some website before but it's been like a decade already and I'm out of the loop on what's in demand and what's obsolete already. I still know the basics though.

My job now is online marketing but I have lots of free time and I want to get back on coding.

To those who are asking what's the reason why I want to code again. Basically I do have lots of idea in my mind, I want to create some web applications and i want to monetize it. If I could use it to earn some extra cash for freelancing that would be good also.

It's like, If I'm going to just use it for my hobby why not learn a programming language that's also in demand now? It's like hitting two birds in one stone kind of thing.

Is php still good or in demand now?

drewcored, Mar 5, 2018 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Now I'm confused

are you wanting to upskill so you can get a new job?
    or
    are you wanting to find out the best way to create your web apps and obtain those skills?

because the answers could be really, really different.

sarahk, Mar 5, 2018 IP
  9. hooperman

hooperman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As a very rough and ready (and possibly worthess) measure, when I search on my favourite jobs website uk-wide, there are twice as many .net jobs as php jobs (java having similar numbers to .net). It's been like this for a while now, so I don't see any changing trends.

Laravel is a popular PHP framework, if you want to get into those.

hooperman, Mar 6, 2018 IP
  10. MGadAllah

MGadAllah Member

Best Answers:
    Just a little bit of advise. No matter which language you will learn, you should learn well 3 main things: 1) programming concepts. 2) problem solving. 3) object oriented programming.
    Good luck

MGadAllah, Mar 19, 2018 IP
  11. VPSNest

VPSNest Peon

Best Answers:
    So you want to make web app, and you already have knowledge about it, you should just refresh that knowledge and learn whats knew in recent PHP, as it is still used widely, Python also has interesting frameworks for web development and Ruby as well, Javascript with its Nodejs framework is cool too, as for the page's dynamism you don't need to look anywhere, just Javascript, but as i said, if you already know php, just update your knowledge about it

VPSNest, Mar 31, 2018 IP
  12. YYDevelop

YYDevelop Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hey that is depend on what you are looking to do.
    Python is really popular now days. I have started with learning HTML & CSS. From there i learned Javascript, jquery and ajax and then PHP.
    If you are looking into web programming you should learn php as well. Most website nowadays are built in wordpress and in order to be able to work with that well you should know PHP.

YYDevelop, Apr 12, 2018 IP
  13. Seo Doncaster

Seo Doncaster Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends what you want to develop:

websites - html, css, javascript
    applications - c++/java

I like Python for both of above. C++ is hard, but once you learn it you can basically pick up any other language.

Seo Doncaster, Apr 23, 2018 IP
  14. Haley777

Haley777 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with other members that Python can be a good choice. Its popularity increased greatly over the last few years. It is loved by programmers because of less code lines and it is appreciated by many global companies. It has to be noted, the demand for Python developers has also raised that led to the growth of their wages. In my opinion, this is an important point. By the way, there is an article I've recently read - https://diceus.com/python-developer-salary/. It explains how the Python programmer salaries vary in different corners of the world. I shared this information in the hope it will be useful and interesting for someone!

Haley777, Apr 23, 2018 IP
  15. worldintercom

worldintercom Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It depends of what do you want to programming:
    -Backend
    -Frontend
    -Games
    - etc..
    Also at this moment there are a lot amount Frameworks for development.

For example: Backend (Java, C#), Frontend (JS, JQuery, Angular, React/Redux)...

worldintercom, Apr 30, 2018 IP
  16. cyphix

cyphix Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think this may be worth a read: https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018/

Specifically the popular languages and what people like working with the most and what they hate etc....... but as others have said, it depends why you are wanting to learn it; do some research on some of the languages after checking out that survey and see what you like the sound of and pick one that sounds best for something you are wanting to build.

cyphix, May 10, 2018 IP
  17. Chester.ben

Chester.ben Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i recommend Python

Chester.ben, May 14, 2018 IP