1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

If I could do college again...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rhinoplayer, Jul 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    ...I would have learned more programming. Instead I spent the last 8 years having the life sucked out of me in financial consulting and making other people money! Fortunately, now my brother and I have taken over the family business making control devices (think microwave oven keypad) and laser cutting anything/everything in site. My name is Mike, married, live in Chicago, love Boxers, and 1 year ago I couldn't even tell you what SEO stood for (now I'm obsessed although I still don't think I'm doing a good job at it!).

I've been reading the posts on here for a couple of weeks and my eyes and ears are wide open. I have definitely utilized much of the info.

I built our site (www.ryanscreenprinting.com) which has generated a bunch of new business for us since I took it over 8 months ago and with my new knowledge I hope to take it a lot further.

Look fwd to reading / posting more!

rhinoplayer, Jul 24, 2004 IP
  2. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    I'm more of a briefs man myself, but each to his own. :D

Will.Spencer, Jul 24, 2004 IP
  3. North Carolina SEO

North Carolina SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Welcome to the forum. Yes, there is a lot of great information here.

North Carolina SEO, Jul 24, 2004 IP
  4. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Hi Mike,

It's never too late, I wished I'd spent more time doing programming too AND graphics but I don't regret one little bit the experiences and insights gained from seeing other industries. Diversity is good, though "jack of all trades and master of none" as some might say :)

Lever, Jul 25, 2004 IP
  5. hdpt00

hdpt00 Peon

Best Answers:
    Welcome, I'm sure you'll learn some great things here. Don't be afraid to get a google API and check out the keyword tracking, stalk your competition and your own efforts at SEO. Best tool around.

Have fun!

hdpt00, Jul 25, 2004 IP
  6. Joel Naten

Joel Naten Guest

Best Answers:
    There's other things besides programming. It seems to me the lawyers, and people with good business sense make out the best. Or to put it another way, the suits figure out how to rip off the people doing the hard work.

Joel Naten, Jul 25, 2004 IP
  7. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Welcome! :)

schlottke, Jul 25, 2004 IP
  8. 4kids

4kids Peon

Best Answers:
    Wearing a suit is hard work ... :p

4kids, Aug 2, 2004 IP
  9. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I was curious about your business, it sounds really cool, so I visited your web site. At first, I couldn't figure out why your images took so long to download and why they look distorted. Then I opened one by itself in a new window, Holy Huge Images Batman, now I know why. You've done a very nice job presenting your sales and company information, but the photos are not in any way optimized for the web. The photo (http://www.ryanscreenprinting.com/images/Spectrometer.jpg) is over 170k and is 1797px wide.

If you resize your images in Photoshop or some similar graphics program and not in your web pages, you'll find your site will download incredibly faster and folks on dialup connections won't get frustrated and leave before the first image downloads.

Now I'm just trying to think of something I can have a set of cool membrane switches made up for the cab of my show truck to make it look more 'techno'.

You're doing good and it looks like you've got a great business going, stick around and you'll be Kick A webmaster & seo guru before you know it. :)

mopacfan, Aug 2, 2004 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.