1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.
  2. Better Analytics for WordPress Get It Free

If at all Google could employ one full time employee, Directories would be cleaner...

Discussion in 'Directories' started by samdar, May 4, 2012.

New PR update rolled out yesterday. We still see paid link selling websites who camouflage themselves as directories are still enjoying rich PR. Directories who purchase links, bump up Page Rank and cheat thousands of webmasters are still standing strong.

If at all, Google could employ one full time employee who runs through popular directory lists and do justice, the whole industry would be much cleaner.

Unfortunately for whatever reasons Google never responds neither employs justice for everyone. Do you agree with me? Then, pour on your comments here.

samdar, May 4, 2012 IP
  2. chinasa

chinasa Peon

Best Answers:
    Google can't see everything buddy, atleast some sites with paid links were penalized even though it wasn't all of them.

chinasa, May 4, 2012 IP
  3. jhnrang

jhnrang Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google could also employ --people using old domains which got natural quality back-links because of their previous role............ abusing those domains/domain age/backlinks/PR for directory purpose ... isn't????

I think you don't want me to name them. :rolleyes:

One name immediately come into my mind......... whaaaaaaaaaaaaTTTTTTTTT????????????

Ohhhh

SMSWe.............................:(

Last edited: May 4, 2012
    jhnrang, May 4, 2012 IP
  4. indyonline

indyonline Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This is funny to me. While he is complaining about this, he see's nothing wrong with buying and selling expired/dropped domains... Your funny guy...
    Google really needs to "do justice", as he put it, on people selling the dropped and expired domains like he is doing. I would say that needs done before attacking directories...

indyonline, May 4, 2012 IP
  5. jhnrang

Best Answers:
    Thats what I was trying to point out and the funniest thing thing of this thread!!! Lol.....

Back in early 2007 ..we...... the original directory owners (98% don't attend this forum now) ... we used to call them QBC (Quick Buck Crew) ... buy high PR domain...install the script... sell few links when the cost is over ....sell the domain.

jhnrang, May 4, 2012 IP
  6. indyonline

Best Answers:
    lol ya, there are some funny people here lol

7. jhnrang

Best Answers:
    @ OP
    Come on maaan..
    If you are serious about directories (as you are branding them) ...... show us some gutts to respect you

build & develop a brand new directory from scratch, promote it and show us the results!!!!!!
    As you see... we are just not fly-byes depending on re-purposed domains

Will we ever get a Chrish, a Peter, a Rob or a Jeff(many others but names not mentioning) ???

jhnrang, May 4, 2012 IP
  8. samdar

samdar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, when some one do not understand what they are writing, what do we call them? I get a very good 'english' word for that, but don't want to use it here. So, what's your problem here? So, you are claiming that you are not a flyby trader and you are a traditional directory owner who has built some great directories? Isn't it. Oh yeah, let's analyze what sort of great directories you own.

Here is that one on your signature:
    http://www.dbestdir.com/index.php?list=latest

WTF..... Do you know what is a web directory? Or do you have any idea what are the best practices to follow? Looks like you are old and traditional in creating a directory from scratch, but you are still a kid and have quite a lot to learn ! Let me show you what are the mistakes you have done. You can take this positively if you are open minded.

1) Keywords in your titles. Bill Pay from Bank of America, Carpet cleaning Toronto, Clever Bug Printing, Joint Pain Relief. Can I ask WTF are they? Don't you know you are not supposed to give out your titles in keywords. Go ahead and watch this video from Matt Cutts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pu1YWcIh04) before you are banned for selling links and hiding yourself as directory... Ahem Best directory lol :)
    2) Coming to your description. WTF !!! CLICK HERE. Internet is driven by unique content. Content is very important for any web directory. What you have allowed in your directory is nothing but garbage. Junky content and sales pitch that is used elsewhere in the internet.
    3) Our Network Sitewide links - So WTF is this. You are violating Google Webmaster Guidelines. You are not supposed to throw links like this that are aimed at manipulating search rank or page rank.

All in all what you are show casing as Best Web Directory is not even close to a directory in my opinion.

A directory is something that reviews quality websites and indexes them just like a search engine does. Search engine uses automated algorithm, while a directory uses pair of eyes. Without proper editing, allowing keywords on titles, using duplicate contents can not even be called as directories.

With all these short comings you have started an array of agitation / lamenting on using re-purposed domains. Re-purposed domains are not only used in directories, they are used elsewhere. Unless and until these domains are not used in bad faith, they are ok in every one's eyes. If you are not ok, then buckle your mouth and mind your business ! You have lot of learnings to do as a directory owner. So better spend your time and start a new journey learning good editing techniques, finding good websites, filling your directories with decent good content. Hope this answers you.

samdar, May 4, 2012 IP
  9. samdar

samdar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you have any idea what it called to be 'Aftermarket domaining industry'. It's a multi-million dollar industry. Read the Wikipedia entry here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_aftermarket

Also visit large sites like sedo.com, Buydomains.com and try to understand what it is. Aftermarket domaining has nothing to do with directories. Looks like you are confused by hearing too many things. Aftermarketing domaining is legally legit and it does not violates any search guidelines. Think of it like buying a real estate land. If some one else has used a piece of land for hotel purposes, can you buy that real estate land and build a house on it? Are there any rules that can prohibit you from doing that? Does it mean that a land that was used for hotel should be only used for hotels again? Did you get it. The same concept applies for aftermarket domaining.

Hope this clears you as well.

Through this thread, what I was trying to say is, Google still doesn't catch people who buy paid links and bump up their Page Rank. You guys filled this space with your filthy complaints. Better luck next time ;)

samdar, May 4, 2012 IP
  10. indyonline

Best Answers:
    lmao! Yes, I know what domaining is... Been in the web design game for a while... Don't need YOU teaching me... lol
    Domaining is BS if you ask me. Especially people that buy expired and dropped domains and sell them for that value based on the PR knowing it will drop to nothing after the next time Google cache's the site. It's a big ass scam and you are a part of it as we have pointed out. and yes, your thread was about directories, pretty stupid in my opinion and based on the fact that nobody is discussing it with you means I'm not the only one who thinks so... However, you're complaining about something, what you consider a BS service, when you are a part of one that is even more BS and is a scam that people get away with every day. You
    're not buying new domains and selling them based on the quality of the name, you are buying dropped/expired domains, make people THINK they have value and sell them based off of links they have that will slowly, if not have already, dissipate.

I know you thought long and hard to try an defend yourself ( i hope it gave you a headache) and make an attempt to insult us BUT I guarantee more people here and all over the internet think your scam is more bull shit than people having and using directories.

I'm heading out the door and don't have any more time to waste on you or I would love to go into way more detail and make you look even dumber than you already do...

11. indyonline

Best Answers:
    lmfao! Just noticed how much of a hypocrite you are...
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2392443
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2375562
    and here is a thread where you thank people for posting these list you are talking shit about http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2373846
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2332348
    Weird how much YOU are into directories but now you want Google to do something about them. I bet you have an issue with Google or a problem with your directory so now you are here talking shit....

12. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Most people have enough common sense to figure out that joesgaragedoorrepairs.com (just an example) has absolutely nothing to do with a directory. These dropped/auctioned domains have been around for years, and most people can easily spot them with their own eyes just by looking at the domain name.

Although very few people are "fooled" by dropped/auctioned domains, the solution to weeding them out of the system would not require Google to hire anyone. All Google has to do is stop displaying PR to end users. If nothing else, update the stale PR stats more often. However, PR is a marketing tool for Google and keeps webmasters like yourself talking about Google. It's good for Google when people talk about their products, metrics, etc. Considering the PR that is displayed in the toolbar is a minimum of 2-4 weeks old, it is an out of date metric that Google does not mind sharing with webmasters as it is free advertising for them and offers a great ROI. It's a smart strategy on their part.

If you believe having high PR is a path to wealth, you are wrong. Quality is what matters most in the long run. While the green bar may go up or down, it is you that controls the content within your directory. Focus on that, while continually making efforts to improve your own standards, and you may find success.

snowbird, May 4, 2012 IP
  13. samdar

samdar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You must be ignorant to say this. Open your eyes man! See what's happening in the aftermarket industry and try to understand the business model behind the scenario. If you are right, why large corporates are investing millions of dollars in such a model? What's wrong in buying / acquiring a domain for its PR or backlinks. If that's wrong in your opinion, why do SEO? Why create backlinks and try to increase your PR or Search rank artificially? Is any one stopping you from doing that? No, I see some good piece of traditional SEO done for your site on your signature. In that case you have no rights to say what is wrong and what is not. Let's understand the humble fact, that you are not GOD of directories or GOD of domaining!

The fact that you come and claim that aftermarket domaining in itself is scam shows your inexperience in your industry. Better wake up! It's better late than never :)

Looks like you are having handy enough time to analyze my previous posts. I appreciate it! I don't know what's your problem here. You say aftermarket domaining is shit. Then you say I am a funny person. Then you lament that my services in aftermarket industry has to be slammed. Then you pick my thread that was made sticky by DP mods and say that I am a hypocrite. Can you add points to prove what you are saying? Or have you drunk when you wrote these replies last night?? :)

All your lamenting are vain unless and until you have substantial data points to prove. Let's level off and understand the fact that internet is growing fast and you should learn fast or you'll disappear !

samdar, May 5, 2012 IP
  14. samdar

samdar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Bill, I completely agree with you. I was trying to say the same facts. A guy claims to be a traditional directory owner and claims to do great things. Eg: Starting a directory from scratch on original domain et al., People get obsessed that they are veteran directory owners if they start a directory from scratch and have been maintaining it for years together. But when looked into their listings / they dont live upto expectation. Filled with contents that are crap and having a good domain name doesn't solve the purpose, right?

And the other guy sells domains, but still calls the whole aftermarket industry to be scam! Funny enough for the day :)

Last edited: May 5, 2012
    samdar, May 5, 2012 IP
  15. jhnrang

Best Answers:
    OK ... OP
    Your directory on re-purposed (if you understand the term) is doing this????

http://www.smsweb.org/index.php?list=latest

Lenslocker - Camera and Lens Hire, Family History Gifts - Ancestry, Family Tree, Dulay Chauffers - London Airport Transfer Onlines

SO long.... for a self-proclaimed/righteous directory expert....claiming to follow Google but breaking them for self. :rolleyes:

Build a directory from scratch on a new domain ( seen most directories on re-purposed domains get de-indexed by Google during last few weeks:( ), make it successful and then come to give few tips -----not by doing a QBC act.

Besides ----on my directory ... the trend has been since 2006 (when it was created) ... and the 3 sitewide links are to my own directories (check archive.org for how long they have been there and the general pattern of listings on my directories). And I can always use my sites to drive traffic. I also don't want to change the accepted general pattern of my directories for allowing them to use keywords as thats how Google accepted me for so long.
    I am not selling PR.... (as my directories have nominal PR only) ... so no need to hide like you who is using high PR domain (we used call them QBC) for directory purpose. Moreover, I'm not a hypocrite as indyonline pointed out.

jhnrang, May 5, 2012 IP
  16. indyonline

Best Answers:
    You are so damn ignorant. trying to change shit around. I know what is going on in the "industry".... I know what the "business model" is you are speaking of. it's but dropped/expired domains make people think they have value, and sell them. It's a FN SACM! and no, no million dollar companies are buying expired/dropped domains as you suggest...

Since you don't know and only read the parts of my post that you wanted, It's a scam, you already know this, buying domains with PR, the PR drops but you don't tell people that...

has nothing to do with SEO and if you base your SEO on dropped and expired domains I feel sorry for you..(not really)

lol my sig is rented, those are not my sites ...

I didn't claim to be so stop making shit up, use some facts in your attempt to insult me....

Ya, it shows I have more experience then the people that buy from you.... Buying dropped /expired domains and selling them for there PR is a scam. I know you will not admit it because it is how you make your money (lol @ u ) but it is.Like I said before, you are not creating names that sound good and buying them before companies do so you can sell them for a profit, you're buying dropped/expired ones that the PR has not dropped yet and sell them before they do claiming the have value. Many people here know this is BS and many don't and that's why your in biz ding this, selling to n00bies that don't know any better or people that just buy them to build sites on them for link selling that you are complaining about...

lol, that's funny... Like you are special or something...? lmao...

Yup... I said you are a hypocrite because you are talking about directories being garbage and Google needs to have somebody delete sites from directory list that you take part in creating... did you forget...? even funnier, I bet you feal real special over that sticky post too huh? lol @ U

I think you need to learn fast because the buying and selling of dropped/expired domains will not last much longer and you will have to move on to a new scam. People are realizing that it's better to just buy a fresh domain for many reasons. Like them potentially being banned from Google, SE's or Adsense and that could be a reason why it's dropped... Look how you are making your money, you are the one that is going to have to "change fast" before all the n00bs realize that the crap you sell is worthless....
    -----

None of this hides the fact that your original post is FN stupid and you look like an idiot for posting it...
    -

Have a nice day =)

indyonline, May 5, 2012 IP
  17. indyonline

Best Answers:
    Don't start lying...I never claimed to be a directory pro and no I don't sell domains so try again and quit lying to TRY and make yourself look better.

indyonline, May 5, 2012 IP
  18. samdar

samdar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Guess I am just wasting time talking to a self proclaimed Mogul. Let me give some facts to make you realize what your stupidity are.

Snap names, eNom, Godaddy and Network Solution make quite a lot on expired domains. Why would they want to auction it out and make millions? My Godaddy executive shows me stats that a good chunk of their revenue comes from aftermarket domain sales and PR domains are hot. Understood what I am talking about? If you are not interested in buying such domains, why not buckle your mouth and shut up? A professional guy will never call other folks who are involved in such a model as scam. If you think it's scam it's just that you are ignorant or blunt or too much aged to accept the fact :)

It's so funny... Involving your nose in some other's business, having a lot of time to dig around year old post and coming up with your own version of analogy is so stupid and childish in my opinion. So what biz are you doing? Farming? Go on with that... Do good amount of seeding and level the land - Just as you might need to level your brain :)

Oh really? Such a profound visionary you are! Lucky me, you don't know the model behind this. If you look at my revenue numbers you would just sit out your summer !

I didnt say Google has to hire someone to delete sites from directory list. Either you have a reading problem or you are too hurry to not read things properly. Go and read on again. I was mentioning sites that buy links, bump up their PR and sell links on that directory in the format of listing.

Again here comes your version of visionary thoughts. Expired domaining model has lived for more than 10 years ever from the origination of the concept of PR. It will still live even after you and me pass on. Shouting here 1000 times that the model is dying and preaching your version of "thoughts" is so funny and it shows how ignorant, in-experience or old you are :) because my customer base keeps increasing month on month.

Oh really? Finally you are accepting that you are nothing! Without any experience / without any knowledge I appreciate your guts in debating and trying to prove / sell / preach your own concept. It doesn't work that way. At least not up in here! #Epic Fail.

samdar, May 5, 2012 IP
  19. ketset

ketset Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought Google was a One-Man Band - only joking! Google needs directories to remain because Adsense revenue is high on those sites

ketset, May 5, 2012 IP
  20. samdar

samdar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are so funny too.. Building a directory from scratch, but not editing is BS. That's what you are doing. Accepted general pattern of allowing keywords? Who accepted it? Don't you know that you are helping manipulate search results? Go, watch the Matt Cutts video again where he specifically talks about that. Then you have such a bad description policy. If you accept whatever descriptions that are being submitted, what is the editorial value add that you are offering? Yes, I may have had created a directory on a re-purposed domain, but I do follow good practices and put in a lot of efforts of editorials. The long keywords that you call is good and gives a detailed one stop understanding for the end user to know what the website is all about. It way better than "Toronto plumbers", "Cheap Hotels" type of titles.

I am not an expert, but I can certainly say that you have lot of things to change in your directory. I don't want or I don't mind if you change or not because I don't poke my nose in other's business. All I will do is say my thought and leave it to you. Without following all such practices, you shouldn't be involved in such a discussion in first place ! Anyways, good luck.

samdar, May 5, 2012 IP