1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

IE6 major issue.

Discussion in 'CSS' started by iblob, Feb 9, 2007.

Im trying to get a full css layout working with a script. Everything works perfectly in IE7, Firefox, and Opera. But in IE6 it looks like junk.

If you go to http://www.johnwhancock.com/demo/phpasbasic/ and compare it to IE7 or Firefox you will see how it is messed up.

The header is larger then it should be. The main content is messed up, if you refresh a few times looking at the main content, twards the bottom of it, that section is not always messed up the same way. Refresh and you will see what I mean.

If someone could help me out with this ASAP it would be greatly appreciated! Im out of ideas with this.

So you know, making a seperate stylesheet for IE6 is out of the question. I need this site to be simple to edit and not have to worry about changing two stylesheets for one thing.

iblob, Feb 9, 2007 IP
  2. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You're not ready to debug yet. Without a complete and proper DTD, IE does not follow the same rules as modern browsers.

You are using a character set that appears to be the proprietary windows-1252, but your server does not include that char-set in its response header, nor is it declared in a meta element. It could be in an xml declaration, but having one would screw IE6 up. windows-1252 includes character entity values that are illegal in all standard char-sets.

Your html includes 300+ errors and another 200 or so warnings. Browsers have to guess at how to treat invalid markup. Usually they guess pretty much as you meant, but why take the chance. There's no telling what any fix might do mixed with the guesswork.

Check your editor, making the character set a standard one and add the http-equiv meta tag. Then correct your html errors. At that point debugging can have a base to work from.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Feb 9, 2007 IP
  3. iblob

iblob Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok I went through and corrected the errors. w3c now says it is a valid page. Now what? Nothing has changed.

iblob, Feb 9, 2007 IP
  4. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Your Club stylesheet also contain errors:
    CSS Errors

Try fixing those up and see how IE handles it. If there's still no change, feel free to post here, and we'll see what we can cook up for you.

Dan Schulz, Feb 9, 2007 IP
  5. iblob

iblob Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually those errors were a result of a css hack I was trying in order to get it to work in IE6. I forgot they were there. They didnt work so I took them out now.. So any other ideas?

iblob, Feb 9, 2007 IP
  6. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Very good. I quite clearly can see that for some reason, #wrapper is not enclosing the left column or anything below the left column. (changing the #wrapper background color makes it obvious)

The trouble is, I cannot see why. The element has hasLayout, so it should enclose its float children. The {clear: both;} on the bottom nav should also cause the left column to be enclosed. I am having trouble scoping out the structure of the page. That's an issue with just about every general purpose template. :shrug:

Perhaps if I come back to it later. In the meantime, that's something for you to look for.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Feb 9, 2007 IP
  7. Dan_A

Dan_A Peon

Best Answers:
    Try to float #content right and set padding to 10px 0;

Dan_A, Feb 10, 2007 IP
  8. iblob

iblob Peon

Best Answers:
    OH, didnt realize it was dropping below again. That wasnt the origonal problem but is because IE is screwing up the widths. Thanks for posting the float right thing. Got that fixed now..

Still need help with the weird issues for the rest of the site that i mentioned eariler.

--

kk5st, not sure what you mean.

iblob, Feb 10, 2007 IP
  9. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The #wrapper element wasn't fully wrapping the left col and the stuff below. It was obvious if the #wrapper background color was changed. It's fixed now so perhaps Dan's thing or something else you changed did it.

For me, the header is the same in Firefox and IE.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Feb 10, 2007 IP
  10. iblob

iblob Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you viewing it in IE6? Cause thats the one that its messed up on.

In IE the header has a larger height then it is supposed to, and lwering the height pixels doesnt help.

Also twards the bottom of the main page a lot of times the text within the tips box some of it is shown below the box when there shouldnt be anything like that. And the bottom horizontal navigation's background color seems to expand higher then it should, its at a different size on different refreshes. And the category boxes on the main page, sometimes it will show a double of the view more link under the box and push the other boxes further down.

iblob, Feb 10, 2007 IP
  11. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, in IE6

For me, headers are the same in FF and IE.

What you describe at the bottom is what I saw the first time, but don't see now.

The other, I haven't seen.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Feb 10, 2007 IP
  12. iblob

iblob Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I just tested it in another computer and its still showing messed up for me and the headers are not the same. Not sure how your able to see it correctly.. But thanks for trying.

Could anyone else try and help with this? Under the tips box where the text seems to show up twice I looked in the source and in the source it doesnt show up, and everything is normal. So somehow it is doubling text up without actually doubling it. =/

iblob, Feb 10, 2007 IP
  13. iblob

iblob Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok well I was reading up on some css stuff trying to figure out how to fix this and i came accross something that i havent really heard of before, "hasLayout"

Does anyone know anything about this? Sounds like it might solve my problem, but I dont really get it. OR what code to use for it.

Could someone help explain this in a nice short sentence/paragraph? And tell me if it might help or not and what i need to do?

iblob, Feb 10, 2007 IP
  14. iblob

iblob Peon

Best Answers:
    I got it to work!!

Its almost hilarious on what the problem was.

iblob, Feb 10, 2007 IP
  15. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Ingo Chao has authored On having Layout. It describes the concept better than MSFT does.

'Grats on finding the other bug. I've seen a description that involves comments, but can't find it now. Can you post your source?

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Feb 10, 2007 IP
  16. iblob

iblob Peon

Best Answers:
    Heres my source:
    positioniseverything.net/explorer/dup-characters.html

iblob, Feb 12, 2007 IP
  17. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers: