1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

IE woes - Relative positioned float

Discussion in 'CSS' started by robert_neville, Apr 24, 2005.

I created a simple template with common tags. It serves as a quick reference guide for my web development efforts. The web page renders great in Firefox, yet becomes a mess in IE. The HTML and CSS code validates on the server. You may view the template at the following link.

http://neville.f2o.org/Template_noXML.html

These tests relate to FireFox 1.0 and IE 6.0 on XP. Let me know if you encounter further deviations with your browser or OS platform.

Top Button
    Firefox renders quick link to the top of the page as a relative float position at the bottom of the page. My top button moves as you scroll down the page. IE renders this div element at the bottom of the page; partially falling off the left side of the page. In addition, another mystery box appears at the top of the page within the MainContent container. Please let me know if you realize why this scenario occurs.

http://neville.f2o.org/IE_top.html

robert_neville, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  2. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    You need to have a minimum width for the right hand div (It doesn't currently fit in an 800x600 browser window)...

Also, position:relative; is not required when you're using floats. float: left/right is all you need in this instance.

SEbasic, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  3. robert_neville

robert_neville Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your response.

> It doesn't currently fit in an 800x600 browser window
    What browser are you talking about? It has a minimum and maximum width to ensure that content stays on the MainContent container. Unfortunately, IE does not support minimum or maximum width.

> Also, position:relative; is not required when you're using floats.
    Many people recommend using position: relative to hack IE bugs. I still have difficulty knowing when its relevant.

Maybe, I am missing something here. Let me know if you clarify your suggestions further.

robert_neville, Apr 27, 2005 IP