1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

IE issue with CSS Drop Down Menus

Discussion in 'CSS' started by NewComputer, Apr 29, 2005.

I have been looking for a good solution for a pure css drop down. This is hard to find as IE is always being difficult, but today I came across a unique error. If I visit the following page in IE http://www.tanfa.co.uk/css/examples/menu/hs7.asp
    Everything works fine,

If I use the code (even copy it directly to a file) it will not function. There is no activity...

Any ideas?

NewComputer, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  2. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    I have your solution...

It has to do with the mime type that your server is using to transmit the .htc file.
    text/x-component

I have a similar menu system at www.bkweddings.com.

Mine is based in part on the one in Eric Meyer's Book "More on CSS" - which is a pretty good guide that shows a lot of the cross-browser pitfalls you will run into.

nevetS, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  3. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    BTW - running apache all you need to do is add the following line to your mime.types file:

text/x-component                htc

Code (markup):
    It's located in your apache conf directory.

You can also do something via .htaccess I believe. Not sure what the IIS solution to adding mime types is, although I think all you have to do is add the type to your windows installation. (easy if it is your server, unlikely to happen if you are using a hosting service)

nevetS, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  4. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    IE javascript fix worked.

I could never get the Mime to take. Thanks Nevet

NewComputer, Apr 30, 2005 IP
  5. iShopHQ

iShopHQ Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm using a pure css vertical with fold out on a few of my sites. Seems to work OK in IE 6 and FireFox. Haven't checked other browsers. It does use a onmouseover event to fire a JS that makes the sub menu's visible. SE friendly though, becasue all the links are hard coded and on the page. Google seems to be following the links and indexing the site fine.

There's a horizontal version of this menu out there as well.

www.DiscountsHQ.com

iShopHQ, May 2, 2005 IP