1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

IE is dead.

Discussion in 'Bing' started by animationgeek, Apr 4, 2011.

1. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    When I got into web development, seven years ago, IE had 95% market share.
    All browsers release schedules have been advanced but IE's schedule is at least 3x slower than everyone elses. Of course, when you are years behind in development in the first place, being 3x slower at updating means you fall farther behind. IE will always be the worst, most backwards browser on the planet.

drhowarddrfine, May 12, 2011 IP
  2. Bart Simpson

Bart Simpson Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes on thediscussioncafe.com we don't support IE either. FireFox or Google Chrome is so far the best browsers.

Bart Simpson, May 12, 2011 IP
  3. rahulparekh

rahulparekh Member

Best Answers:
    In an ideal world, yes. But the general user doesn't really know or care for developers or what they use. They're happy surfing facebook and tweeting.

The fact is IE is used a lot. It's market share has declined massively but it's still a very big number. So, it's incorrect to say IE is dead. I hope it dies, but it's certainly not dead. Especially with IE9 getting a fair few positive reviews.

rahulparekh, May 12, 2011 IP
  4. mygold

mygold Peon

Best Answers:
    Definitely misconception, IE is not dead yet lol.

mygold, May 13, 2011 IP
    pupul likes this.
  5. bobharley2011

bobharley2011 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I wouldn't believe that it will be dead because Microsoft got a lot of ideas to make sure that their own browser will still be alive and kicking. Although, I prefer using Google Chrome and Firefox. Safari and Opera isn't that bad either.

bobharley2011, May 13, 2011 IP
  6. omicreon

omicreon Peon

Best Answers:
    It can be like that in the beginning, like when Nintendo came with their NES, they dominated the market, but now we have three major competitors: Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo, just like with browsers we also will have three now: Chrome, IE and Firefox. I doubt that IE will die, that would be like if Nintendo would suddenly die. IE is installed in almost all computers you buy from electronics stores. I've actually never seen other browsers been installed, but it can happen in the future.

Okay, in what way is it worse than other browsers? I noticed your link about it being a virus magnet, but isn't it more likely that it's just the most malware targeted browser because it's the most used browser?

omicreon, May 13, 2011 IP
  7. Ella_J._Fitzgerald

Ella_J._Fitzgerald Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't use Internet Explorer, but I have heard some of my friends still utilize Internet Explorer indeed. The reason that Internet Explorer has become so unpopular is because of the corporate image with Microsoft that browser has. It does not feel like a browser that is subject to the will of the customers, unlike FireFox 4.0 RC that lets normal people give advice directly to the programmers about any issues or recommendations they might have had. Microsoft must modernize Internet Explorer's image rather than leaving it as it is, a seemingly unchanging and barely improved browser from its 4.0 or 5.0 versions.

Ella_J._Fitzgerald, May 13, 2011 IP
  8. fokerss

fokerss Active Member

Best Answers:
    IE will not dead it is the first of internet browser.

fokerss, May 13, 2011 IP
  9. Digital_shubhi

Digital_shubhi Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The main reason its still in use coz Windows OS always have IE in them and the one who doesn't know about Internet much uses it only.
    Only later they realize that there are other better browsers.

Digital_shubhi, May 13, 2011 IP
  10. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Look at the link above it. And that only compares IE9 to FF4. IE8 is 13 years behind all other browsers in javascript and DOM support. And that's not even talking about CSS and other things.
    IE is more integrated into Windows than other browsers. Once you find a way in, the rest is a cake walk.

drhowarddrfine, May 13, 2011 IP
  11. newlogo

newlogo Peon

Best Answers:
    ys most people are used firefox, so ie is dead

newlogo, May 14, 2011 IP
  12. NeVerTrYFoRME

NeVerTrYFoRME Peon

Best Answers:
    I think this is for your particular site's stats. You can't claim that every site has the same stats as the attached.

For my sites, IE is yet the most used browser that I can see in my Google Analytics.

NeVerTrYFoRME, May 14, 2011 IP
  13. rahulparekh

rahulparekh Member

Best Answers:
    Overall IE has about 20-30% of share in the market according to various sources on the web. It's hardly dead!

rahulparekh, May 14, 2011 IP
  14. gameutopia

gameutopia Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I am not too happy with firefox 4x. I have been a huge fan of the addons in the past but it has become a huge memory hog. I hate internet explorer and I do not want anymore google (chrome) in my life, but honestly if firefox don't get it together internet explorer and chrome is looking more appealing.

gameutopia, May 14, 2011 IP
  15. temi

temi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    IE is very much alive, MS is actually agressively promoting it, I saw (for the first time) advert posters of IE allover London. IE has also been improved quite significantly in recent years

temi, May 14, 2011 IP
  16. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Absolutely false! In fact, one of the features of FF4 is its REDUCED memory usage! On the 20 boxes I'm "tech support" for, ALL have had memory reductions of 50% or more.

If YOU are having such issues, then the problem is with an add-on you found somewhere or your system itself and NOT Firefox.

drhowarddrfine, May 14, 2011 IP
  17. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sure the OP means IE is dead in the water, as in, it is dying and no one will be using it much longer. That is probably true to some extent though it will take a long time.
    But it is still a crappy browser unworthy of the modern web.

drhowarddrfine, May 14, 2011 IP
  18. Matix

Matix Peon

Best Answers:
    I find it stupid that you block it, even if it doesn't display properly don't block it. Some Corporate users can't replace their browser you know.

Matix, May 14, 2011 IP
  19. taniajames

taniajames Peon

Best Answers:
    i was using IE long times ago but now i am using google chrome or fire fox.

taniajames, May 14, 2011 IP
  20. RamCity

RamCity Peon

Best Answers:
    I have seen how noobs are saying IE is DEAD or Crap.

RamCity, May 16, 2011 IP