1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

IE 8 is more powerful than firefox?

Discussion in 'Bing' started by tonis, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown03

Unknown03 Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO Just because Internet Explorer is FINALLY compliant with todays web standards in version 8 DOES NOT make it THE MOST POWERFUL BROWSER EVER

Unknown03, May 27, 2009 IP
  2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    IE8 is NOT compliant with todays standards and is 11 years behind EVERY other browser in modern standards and practices. It does not do XHTML served as XHTML, it fails at current DOM standards, it does not do SVG; Microsoft promised strong HTML5 support in IE8 but failed to deliver so cannot support canvas or RDFa; it's Javascript is poorly implemented and much more. Meanwhile all other browsers are current on all those and have been so for years!

IE8 is a pitiful example of how a browser should work. IE8 continues to hold back the web from moving forward.

drhowarddrfine, May 27, 2009 IP
  3. ricarde88

ricarde88 Peon

Best Answers:
    Firefox loads fast and is really topnotch on safety.

ricarde88, May 27, 2009 IP
  4. ishan001

ishan001 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ha Ha! Biggest Joke of century for me! IE is not better than any browser!

It did not pass Acid 3 test which Firefox 3, Opera 10 and almost all major browsers have passed! It is slow and with Opera 10 "Turbo" release, it seems more slow!

ishan001, May 27, 2009 IP
  5. cybersale4you

cybersale4you Peon

Best Answers:
    ive read people say ff3 is buggy and slow, but its only if you got a slow pc.

i run ff3 with at least 15 addons. ie can never do what firefox can.
    well okay most times firefox eats up ram, but still its very fast.
    if there are outstanding features in ie8, then they will be in firefox later too.

firefox is first choise of browser. but if you want to be safe, use opera.

cybersale4you, May 27, 2009 IP
  6. Angadude

Angadude Peon

Best Answers:
    As a programmer, I cannot help hating Microsoft. I used to use Windows, then I saw Ubuntu. I used to use IE, and then I saw Firefox. I thought Facebook's AJAX chat was great, but then it lagged on me, crashed both IE and FF, and then I saw how Google used AJAX.

I have, recently, being doing a lot of JavaScript. Let alone design glitches that I faced (I'm not a W3C fan) on IE, I spent at least 20 hours on trying to get some heavy JavaScript to work on IE. IE just doesn't support some of the JavaScript my codes or my code snippets use. It has bugs nobody can explain.

When something is made by a limited amount of people, their inefficiencies creep in to the code. That's exactly why Open Source is always more secure.

PS> And oh yeah, MS Sucks.

Angadude, May 27, 2009 IP
  7. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow. Talk about circular logic. That's like saying banks are unsafe because they needs locks and vaults to protect their money.

The list I gave you is right out of IT 101. This goes for ANY BROWSER - Firefox or Safari. You have no scenario that would successfully corrupt the OS of such a protected computer. I accept your gracious concession to my argument.

Give it up, Howard. Not only do you have no case, but you've proven that you can't even protect a home computer.

Corwin, May 27, 2009 IP
  8. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Howard, howard, howard. I thought YOU were an authoritative person! Just what did you do with those 46 years of experience, anyway?

You CLAIM to have 46 years of experience with computers. And your counter-argument to me is - search the web????

C'mon, Howard! Dazzle me with your 46 years of technical knowledge! Don't tell me to search the web then run cowering with your tail beneath your legs! Tell me something technical!

I gave you the configuration for a properly configured computer! One that is as safe as a bank vault!

(sigh) O.K., Howie, let's try something. You've said that IE is unstable? OK, compare how you configure your home computer against my list. Tell me what YOU do to configure your computer.

Draw upon your 46 years of experience. C'mon, Howie, dazzle me!

Because, so far, you've demonstrated a sad lack of any technical understanding of computer security. You have failed.

Corwin, May 27, 2009 IP
  9. Angadude

Angadude Peon

Best Answers:
    @Corwin:
    Are you trying to say IE is secure? Sorry to break your bubble, but if you have ever done some serious reading up on application integrity, or online exploitation, you'll know of scripts that have databases of browser/OS combination vulns. These scripts are implemented with something as inconspicuous as a iFRAME, and have caused more damage than you could imagine. Keyloggers silently installed, RATS, Botnetting, and what not. And, IE having maximal security flaws, is known, and not without reason, to be the most exploitable browser online.

Also, really, if you think Windows Updates secure your PC, think again. Windows has a long history of pretending to be secure. In more recent times, an example would be the UAC System in Vista.

Angadude, May 27, 2009 IP
  10. Traffic-Bug

Traffic-Bug Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, Ie8 is more powerful than all the other browsers .

Traffic-Bug, May 27, 2009 IP
  11. efragoso

efragoso Peon

Best Answers:
    i've tried i.e.8 and it just works ! . But i will not change firefox.

efragoso, May 27, 2009 IP
  12. Natcoweb.com

Natcoweb.com Banned

Best Answers:
    I've switched from IE to Firefox for security and functionality reasons. Now using FF 3.0.10.

Natcoweb.com, May 28, 2009 IP
  13. subagio

subagio Peon

Best Answers:
    my experience, firefox is still better than IE
    it more faster, reliable and very usefull

subagio, May 28, 2009 IP
  14. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    @Corwin,
    I've supplied you with data but you choose to ignore it. You agree with me that IE is insecure because you state it needs all that protection and locks. Yet you continue to claim IE is safe despite all the general knowledge known, proven and verifiable with any simple search on Google. You want to say all browsers are as unsafe as IE but the data shows that's not true. Yet you want me to do more than what I already did by supplying an authoritative source which states IE has more vulnerabilities than all other browsers combined!

corwin, you have to prove your statement with more than words and I will not do it for you. I have shown proof that IE is by far the least secure browser of them all. It is now your job to prove that IE is as secure as any other browser and you can't do like most Windows users do and use Microsoft as their source.

drhowarddrfine, May 28, 2009 IP
  15. blazinrachel

blazinrachel Peon

Best Answers:
    haven't tried it yet. i'm so excited to use it. for all the great things i have read on it. does it has ad ons too? firefox ad ons are really a big help for me.

blazinrachel, May 28, 2009 IP
  16. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm saying that:
    1. A properly configured computer is completely secure, and
    2. No browser by anyone is secure if the computer is not configured properly.

For example - a keylogger can ONLY be installed IF you are logged in as an Administrator AND you set IE to Low or No Security.

Late last year, I went to my cousin's house for Christmas. He asked me to look at this son's computer, which was running sluggish. Although Firefox was the default browser, they ran as Admin and there was no firewall or antivirus. Sooo.... the computer was a complete mess. This 2GHz 2G RAM computer took six minutes to boot.

I physically disconnected from the internet and ran Spybot from my handy USB key and it found a busy cocktail party of spyware and malware. After, I ran Trend's disinfectant program from my USB key it removed five bots (which caused the slow boot) but only four viruses (I expected more).

I then enabled Windows firewall, went onlline, and installed the free McAfee antivirus his ISP offered. I then set his daily login to a Windows XP Limited User Account (LUA). The computer has been completely problem-free since then.

In my professional experience, 80% of computer vulnerabilities that I have personally witnessed are the result of having no firewall and not using a LUA for the daily login (it's probably closer to 95% but I'm giving a conservative estimate here).

If your daily login is a LUA, the operating system is mostly secure because there is no access to the operating system.

Hell, I've got a laptop I only use for testing. It has no antivirus and uses Windows Firewall and Spybot and logs in as a LUA. It uses IE7 to browse the dark side of the web. I ignore maintaining it except to update Spybot. It has never been infected with anything.

Keep in mind that most of these "computer security companies" write compelling copy (see the Copywriting section of DigitalPoint). They target people with an anti-Microsoft bias. You'll notice that these reports that tell you about IE vulnerabilities almost never tell you the configuration of their test system - which is usually an Admin login with no firewall, antivirus, etc. They toy with people like Howard for kicks.

People like to repeat what other people say about IE's supposed "vulnerabilities". But they run like terrified rabbits when you ask them for details or technical experience.

If someone wants to show me some details, instead of shamefully repeating what other people have said, I welcome the discussion.

Corwin, May 28, 2009 IP
  17. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You supplied me with absolutely no data. All you have supplied me with is the sorry bluster of empty rhetoric that is completely without any technical content. I see no absolutely no technical understanding from you whatsoever of proper computer maintenance - a topic that you have chosen to ignore.

I've given you technical explanations and details of proper computer maintenance. Your poor response was - to give me a homework assignment???

I understand that I have painted you into a corner, and I'm really not trying to embarrass you. But your position is sadly indefensible.

Corwin, May 28, 2009 IP
  18. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    What I see from you is an inability to read, follow instructions or understand what is given to you. Multiple links to authoritative sources were given to you but you deny I have. You give nothing but 'rhetoric' in return and want others to do your work for you and cannot or will not respond with anything else. I've already done my research and don't need to do yours for you. It's obvious you have done no reading on the subject since your comments are the total opposite of everything else on the 'net, from companies large and small. I can only assume your total source for your information is Microsoft and you can't see beyond that.

drhowarddrfine, May 28, 2009 IP
  19. C_WiRnaldo7

C_WiRnaldo7 Peon

Best Answers:
    well, i think i must try IE8
    actualy i dont really like IE

C_WiRnaldo7, May 28, 2009 IP
  20. extremelyfastcash

extremelyfastcash Peon

Best Answers:
    firefox is the way to go it's always fast

extremelyfastcash, May 28, 2009 IP