1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

IE 8 is more powerful than firefox?

Discussion in 'Bing' started by tonis, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moneybagz

moneybagz Peon

Best Answers:
    I've used IE8 only a couple of times and it's horrible like the rest of the other IE's. It's slow, it takes forever to load, etc. Microsoft needs to put way more work into their browser.

I use the good browsers like Safari, Chrome, Firefox.

IE is never good on terms of safety.

moneybagz, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  2. Pudge1

Pudge1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    FireFox > IE
    Chrome > IE
    Safari > IE
    Opera > IE
    End of Story.
    Has anyone noticed that IE8 uses really ugly fonts. Like there is a difference in fonts when you look at a page in IE8 and FF/Rest of the browsers.

Pudge1, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  3. ct2k7

ct2k7 Peon

Best Answers:
    IE is way faster than firefox here :p

ct2k7, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  4. HighRankingSEO

HighRankingSEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    Metros, I have to disagree, in fact, it is proven to be faster. I have been using it since it came out and I have to say, I like it a lot. IE is just not my cup of tea, so maybe my opinion is bias, but I dont think that IE can touch FF with a 10 foot pole.

HighRankingSEO, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  5. nontemplates

nontemplates Peon

Best Answers:
    Normally I'd agree with you but not on Windows 7 RC which I am running. IE 8 runs pretty smoothly.

nontemplates, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  6. backlinkgurus

backlinkgurus Guest

Best Answers:
    I.E has definitely come a long way.

I would put them in this order : 1.Firefox 2.Safari 3.Chrome 4.I.E.

backlinkgurus, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  7. nontemplates

nontemplates Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually in terms of speed I would have to put chrome first in my experience.

nontemplates, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  8. Astroman

Astroman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know why people have discussions about 'power' when they're talking about something as dull as an internet browser. You may as well postulate on 'which is the most powerful, a duck or a chicken?' Who gives a shite, just use/eat the one you like the best and get over it.

P.S. The answer is duck, it has to be!

Astroman, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  9. Angadude

Angadude Peon

Best Answers:
    On my Windows7, IE8 seems to run very smoothly. But not as smooth as FireFox. It does hang up on FaceBook, and it also shows different visual results (IE ALWAYS does that) than standard browsers, but I see a definite improvement. The tabbed feature is finally non-buggy as in the previous version. Microsoft doing some serious upgrades :)

Angadude, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  10. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    The title of this thread is not the same as the OP. He tries to equate "power" with features but most of his features list is wrong. Then some try to say IE8 is more "powerful" because it runs "smooth, prettier, faster" in their eyes which, of course, has nothing to do with "power".

The real problem lies with giving the impression that IE8 has now become as good as the other browsers just because it might be "smoother, prettier, faster" while ignoring the fact that it's technically incompetent and gives us web developers major headaches trying to hack properly written code to work on the thing. THAT is why web devs wish IE would fold up and die, so the web can move forward and we can start using current standards and practices which aren't available in IE8, or work poorly. Many of these same things aren't even planned for IE9.

But what Microsoft won't do, the market apparently will as fewer and fewer people are using IE and, possibly, in about 2 years, IEs market share will make it a minority player and we can treat as an afterthought as it should be treated.

drhowarddrfine, Aug 17, 2009 IP
  11. Astroman

Astroman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    IE's market share would be zero if it didn't come indelibly installed on most people's computers.

Astroman, Aug 18, 2009 IP
  12. JDobbsy1987

JDobbsy1987 Member

Best Answers:
    I dont mind IE8 but i always use firefox

JDobbsy1987, Aug 18, 2009 IP
  13. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    And that will change in October when Windows7 will offer other browser installs PLUS Vista upgrades will also offer other browsers. I think this might be the "tipping point" that will finally get rid of that turd of a browser: IE.

drhowarddrfine, Aug 18, 2009 IP
  14. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Howard, your credibility on this topic is zero.

Corwin, Aug 18, 2009 IP
  15. neest321

neest321 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    FF plugins are unmatchable and no matter how fast, sleak other browsers can be made, FF will always stand out. Ofcourse for basic usage, IE8 is perfectly fine

neest321, Aug 18, 2009 IP
  16. MervinKoops

MervinKoops Member

Best Answers:
    Internet Explorer is a truly awful browser, which is behind other browsers in pretty much every way.

MervinKoops, Aug 18, 2009 IP
  17. SeBrantigan

SeBrantigan Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd go with Google Chrome - it's faster because it takes up much CPU than other browsers and it runs faster because it is for people based on the internet (much "lighter" than other browsers, much like their operating system Google Chrome OS which is released late next year).

SeBrantigan, Aug 18, 2009 IP
  18. Xion7

Xion7 Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely - I don't really care how powerful IE8 has become its usability and security is still an issue. Plus at this point firefox has gained so much steam that it would take an act of God to dethrone it from its "fan favorite" position.

Xion7, Aug 18, 2009 IP
  19. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    You see how this guy is. He's quick to say such things but never, ever backs anything up. Even though I give him links, he never reads them, or says he does but, from his response, you can tell he didn't understand it.

He's my own personal stalker. The type of kid on the playground who'd yell, "No, you are!" and then runs behind a teacher.

I have a feeling nontemplates might be the same guy. Neither of them visit the technical boards but do visit here to give technical commentary to my posts, which is very strange. You'd think a technical person would comment in the programming boards at least once, but not them.

drhowarddrfine, Aug 18, 2009 IP
  20. Angadude

Angadude Peon

Best Answers:
    That's what I really want. It's something IE, Firefox, or Opera cannot give. Fast, zippy, lightweight, is how a browser should be. Still in search of a perfect browser. Chrome? Too buggy.

Angadude, Aug 19, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.