1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Idea vs Execution [Debate]

Discussion in 'General Business' started by NetStar, Apr 27, 2015.

I figured this is a great topic to discuss here on Digital Point.

I recently was watching an episode of Big Bang Theory (my favorite show) and the topic of Idea vs Execution came up. Immediately I was reminded of the various topics and business proposals on this web site. On the near daily basis I read topic after topic from users with business proposals trying to implement their IDEA for a share of equity. Normally I laugh hysterically and rip these users to pieces... In my opinion, an idea without implementation is like a bird without wings...useless. And everyone seems to be walking around with the next million dollar idea these days. It's hard to put a dollar amount or equity stake on someone who simply has an idea without the ability to execute and put it in to motion.

So DP'ers... I invite you all to participate. Idea vs Execution. Which is more important? Should the idea be worth something? Should the person with the idea receive equity in the business, a finders fee, or simply a high five? If equity is deserved should it be nominal, split, or majority? And....how would you feel about sharing equity with someone who had the idea and nothing else?

Discuss.

NetStar, Apr 27, 2015 IP
  2. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You cannot execute an idea you do not have. Yes, an idea should be worth something. Ideas can be patented if they are novel (I believe). In fact, if you steal somebody's idea, you could even get sued for it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/lawsuit-claims-stolen-ideas-used-564084

The value of an idea is going to depend on how novel it is, how easy it is to execute, how much money it can generate, and how much competition there is to execute the idea. If I have an original idea for a website (or invention or anything else) and there are a bunch of people who can make it a reality, the idea will be worth more as those who can make it a reality will compete amongst themselves to do it. On the other hand, if an idea is difficult to put into motion and there are very few people who can make that idea a reality, their value will be greater and the idea will be worth relatively less.

When someone has an idea and no money to make the idea a reality and seeks investors, the investor often takes an ownership stake of half or so.

billzo, Apr 28, 2015 IP