1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

IBM the King of Search?

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by anthonycea, Jun 11, 2004.

1. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    IBM is the biggest threat to all others in the industry and they are just getting started.

It is funny that folks never thought IBM was involved in this business, they have been researching the industry sector for over 20 years.

If I were the competition I would be VERY worried about IBM. :eek:

anthonycea, Jun 12, 2004 IP
  2. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Would be an interesting company to work for to say the least. If they ever open up an office in San Diego, I'll try to get a part-time job there, and donate my paycheck to charity just for a hobby.

Quote by Shawn Above

Now Shawn have you not heard that Google uses part time under industry scale part time workers and sub-contactors to fill many jobs.

The only jobs where you can make money at Google are high executive positions.

So I don't think you would last long at Google. Not with the money you are capable of making on your own.

3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It wouldn't be for the money. As I said previously, the paycheck would be donated.

digitalpoint, Jun 12, 2004 IP
  4. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Below is a post from a man that was offered a job at Google, he posted this on a blog.

If you're a Stanford grad. google has a job waiting for you. Just don't expect industry standard compensation. But, you will be able to make pocket money from inserting search links for spammers and advertisers.

Haven't you noticed on certain searches you perform some Ebay links or some other non-related search term is displayed?

I was offered a position at google, however I turned it down after visiting their so call "Campus". Just bunch of greedy cliquish kids waiting for IPO. Several product managers told me they can't wait until they're vested and get the f* out of there so they won't have to baby-sit anymore.

STILL WANT THE JOB SHAWN?

If you need the URL, PM me and I will give it to you. I will not post this blog here at DP

5. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    IBM is making waves and the industry is watching, the next article is one of great interest to all in this business. On demand computing is a business model that all in the industry are engaged in.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5232770.html?tag=zdnn.alert

IBM looks to be a major player in search and back end services to new search engines. I think they will be the company to watch.

anthonycea, Jun 15, 2004 IP
  6. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are there any articles that say IBM is going to take over the search arena? What is their target date?

Help Desk, Jun 15, 2004 IP
  7. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Look at the page linked on post # 19 they will lead you to articles that will link you to more articles, I think Google is getting into other businesses for a reason.

anthonycea, Jun 15, 2004 IP
  8. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    Why can't you post active links?

Help Desk, Jun 16, 2004 IP
  9. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Think Bling you will have to ask the other members, like you they have hostility against me and voted me to the depths of no live link hell.

Another dead link on IBM is below, it mentions they invest 5 billion a year in R & D more than some in the industry have in sales.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5235525.html?tag=zdnn.alert

anthonycea, Jun 16, 2004 IP
  10. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure what that has to do with IBM becomming king of the search. IBM could buy there way into the search market, either by developing their own system or more than likely buying somebody else's.

I'm just looking for a line of though here.

11. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    If you want to start the "THINKBLINGSEARCHENGINE" what IBM will be is a ASP or a DATA PROVIDER or BACK END, for all of these small retailers of search who will add value to the data and create a product.

So you do not know what they will do, they have more resources than any company in the industry, so they can do what they want.

12. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    Although IBM is huge, it is not the largest. Also IBM's range of markets is gigantic. Google got huge because it did one thing and did it well. We'll see if they keep doing well as they expand.

13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I really doubt IBM is going to drop all their resources for their hundreds of different markets, and devote everything towards building a new search engine.

Boeing has huge resources and R&D budgets as well. I bet they aren't going to make a search engine.

digitalpoint, Jun 16, 2004 IP
  14. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    IBM had 86 billion in sales last year, M$ about 28 billion, Google 1 Billion

Think Bling, can you tell me of anyone larger than IBM in the industry?

IBM is a large software company 14 Billion in sales in the software area.

15. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    IBM is more a hardware company than software. So if you are talking about the software industry, then Microsoft is bigger. If you are talking about the hardware industry, IBM is bigger.

digitalpoint, Jun 16, 2004 IP
  16. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    IBM is more of a data services company, computing on demand is all the rage, everyone including M$, HP, SUN and everyone else in the business is following IBM's business model.

Computing on demand is a ASP Model, I do not need hardware or software using this model as a business operator.

I simply rent on demand computing from IBM, that is the future, data centers that provide turn key resources, this is where IBM is leading the entire industry and they are being followed by all of the other major players to this model.

Businesses like it because they are always on the cutting edge of computing and database management without the investment of hardware or software.

Just buy the computing you need to run your business.

17. Help Desk

Best Answers:
    IBM is actually more "services" than "data services". A major constituent of this is IBM consultants.

18. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    If we want to do a final study on what the true percentages of software sales verses services verses hardware, it is simple.

IBM and M$ are both public companies, someone simply needs to sit down and look at CBSmarketwatch or NYtimes or WSJ or S&P and look at the figures.

Or we can continue this discussion here with fuzzy figures and make a long thread to make Shawn richer.

You guy's decide on what direction you wish to take it, one thing I read a while back that was a shock, was that IBM was the largest software company in the world.

Now the only way we can find out the truth is by looking at how much of M$ sales are from software verses other services such as MSN, MSNBC and all of the other things they do verses software sales.

I know that I read the other day that IBM had 14 Billion in software sales.

19. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    This article is about the IBM Search Engine

http://www.webmarketingnow.com/news/03-09-18-ibm-search-engine.html

Also see post # 19 for a link leading to other articles if you have interest

anthonycea, Jun 18, 2004 IP
  20. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    IBM is making waves in a giant market, corporate search is said to be an 8 Billion dollar market.

They are making big moves to capture this market.

See this article, save it since the links are only good with some of these sites for 7 days.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/technology/9024330.htm?1c

anthonycea, Jun 28, 2004 IP