1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I would like to be a copywriter - how do I start?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by lizaveta, Feb 11, 2008.

1. angilina

angilina Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Try to start your career at freelance sites. There you will learn + you will be able to make some money too

angilina, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  2. pointkids21

pointkids21 Banned

Best Answers:
    yes i want to be a copywriter how can be start help me.

pointkids21, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  3. lizaveta

lizaveta Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot for all of your suggestions, I'm taking them all on board.

Perry Rose, my apologies for not having enough money for a new router to connect to the internet when my old one went belly up. Truly, every person who for some reason finds themselves unable to check back to a web site has surely lost interest in the subject :rolleyes: . It's not like they may be disconnected, have assessments at college due, or are busy blogging from friends' houses to make a bit of cash to get themselves back online.

As for those who suggested a blog, I have been running one for several months and have a domain, mostly a personal blog with a focus on relationships and self-help, although the topics range from that to pets, human rights, politics, and more. Would it be viewed as unprofessional if I direct potential employees to my blog articles while I work on gaining experience to build a separate portfolio?

Thanks again :)

lizaveta, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  4. MRRB2

MRRB2 Peon

Best Answers:
    liza,

I wrote a long dissertation and then it timed out.

I will make it short. You start by simply writing.
    Always start with the basics and build from there.

MRRB

MRRB2, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  5. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    And here I thought I heard it all. That's a new one on me.

Ok.

Perry Rose, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  6. lizaveta

lizaveta Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, O Great One, because the lack of an internet connection and educational responsibilities are SUCH a rare thing to hinder people from visiting this mighty forum.

People these days.

lizaveta, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  7. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Um, yeah, glad to see that everything is up and running now.

Lazy procrastinators making excuses these days. :D

Perry Rose, Mar 12, 2008 IP
    lynder likes this.
  8. lizaveta

lizaveta Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, thankfully it is.

:p If you'd like to buy me a new router next time this happens so I don't 'procrastinate' by trying to make a bit of cash, let me know.

lizaveta, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  9. pointkids21

pointkids21 Banned

Best Answers:
    i like to be a copywriter, but i don't know if where i started

pointkids21, Mar 12, 2008 IP
  10. 1associate

1associate Peon

Best Answers:
    I've not done much copywriting but I thought I'd put my two-penny worth in anyway. I like threads that get me thinking, there are too few of them - but that's another matter.

I spoke to someone who was looking for a copywriter this week - she has to write 200 word press-releases. She hates doing it, "it take so long" and she would have liked to employ a freelance before now. What's stopped her doing so in the past is "they ask so many questions and take up so much of my time that I may as well do it myself". I'm not saying all clients are the same but I thought this was insightful. By the way, as this may lead to 6 or more jobs a year, taking into account what I think they can afford and her misgivings, I'm going to quote £150 for the first press release and £100 thereinafter. I think each would take 2 hours to write + research.

Also, reading the standard sources, as quoted above, might be helpful but there's a drawback in my opinion. Namely, if all copywriters read the same it might lead to standardisation of copy writing and stifle originality. This wouldn’t be a bad thing for the above (the PR is for doors) but for more cutting edge, dynamic copywriting needs it’d be a no no. Nevertheless, if I had to suggest two reads – they’d be Vance Packard and Michel Foucault – the latter on discourse analysis hurt my brain but in a good way and just dropping his name impresses some people – tee hee. I’d also suggest looking at the work of Trevor Beattie an original creative – you might as well aim high!

Why do you want to be a copywriter? Do you write anything else? If I were to make a portfolio for your purposes I'd include extracts from other work. Show my vocabulary, range, areas of expertise, make it entertaining - include pictures.

Lastly, I hope you don't ever need to go down the "belly to belly" (as described above) sales experience route, unless you want to write comedy or you're the best. In the latter case your earnings won't allow you to pursue copy or any other type of writing unless writing pays similar, you are diciplined with your time devoted to writing and are in a position to work the hours you choose. If you've got to sell do it on the phone. In my experience there's nothing as inspirational as conversation. In my opinion, all sales can teach you is "hook, develop rapport, upsell, close" you seem intelligent enough to apply this, if called for, without sales experience. Besides, not many copywriters could hack it!

1associate, Mar 13, 2008 IP
    lynder likes this.
  11. stevegibson

stevegibson Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd recommend those, too.

I also think you have to decide what sort of copywriter you want to be.

IMO, it's easier for a newbie to focus on one area and then diversify than trying to be everything to everyone.

That speciality might be a particular medium (e.g. Yellow Pages), or format (e.g. newspaper space ads, salesletters, websites) or market (e.g. finance).

That way, when you're building up a portfolio of hypothetical samples, everything will be reinforcing your speciality.

Finally, I think you've received a lot of good advice on this thread. Now it's mainly going to come down to your commitment to mastering the craft.

Best wishes,

Steve

stevegibson, Mar 14, 2008 IP
  12. mysticenigma

mysticenigma Peon

Best Answers:
    I've seen this thread few days back n was waiting for more responses. Even i thought of taking up copywriting for part time. I'm loving the way people respond when someone asks these questions even though they've been asked previously.

mysticenigma, Mar 15, 2008 IP
    lynder likes this.
  13. nycopywriter

nycopywriter Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I had a terrible time getting work on elance. Is guru.com any better?

Any other suggestions?

nycopywriter, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  14. TerryBrazil

TerryBrazil Peon

Best Answers:
    Not sure if this was said yet but here it goes anyway. If you really want to get a good grasp of copywriting I suggest that you go visit Michael Fortins www.copywritersboard.com That is the first IM type forum I have every joined and really kick myself in the arse for not hanging around it more. I have learned a lot from that place not to mention have been given multiple job offers.

TerryBrazil, Mar 20, 2008 IP
    lynder likes this.
  15. lizaveta

lizaveta Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, everyone, I've been checking out the links and books you suggested (although I haven't explored all of them yet) and they're definitely proving to be helpful!

I have also coincidentally met a person who is a copywriter for a living in person several days ago and he gave me some great advice as well.

lizaveta, Mar 24, 2008 IP
    lynder likes this.
  16. lynder

lynder Peon

Best Answers:
    Make sure that your site is updated (something I'm going to start doing myself)

lynder, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  17. theultimate1

theultimate1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yet another typical "Perry Rose" post...
    -------------------------------------
    Liza, I'm not the best... I'm probably not even prepared or skilled enough to be posting in this sub-forum, but since I write for cash (and passion, now), here's what probably works best...

Practice and Experience... :)

theultimate1, Mar 27, 2008 IP