1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I would like to be a copywriter - how do I start?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by lizaveta, Feb 11, 2008.

I am interested in being a copywriter, but honestly have no clue as to how I should start. What is the appropriate format for a portfolio? What am I to put in my portfolio if I have not done any paid jobs as of yet? What should I charge and what are some general customs and unspoken rules between copywriter and employer?

I apologize if these questions seem redundant and thank you in advance.

- Liza S.

lizaveta, Feb 11, 2008 IP
  2. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    By copywriter, what exactly do you mean? Are you going into advertising copywriting, DM copywriting, etc?

If you don't know, just say what you want to create and that will help.

Also, when you say portfolio, are you talking about an online or offline one? If online, there's no "appropriate format" per se, but it should be easy to view. Put in there what you want. Here's a link to Bly's portfolio. It's bland, but he's done so much you'll get an idea of what to do:

http://www.bly.com/newsite/Pages/portfolio.php

As to the portfolio and no paid jobs yet, a real easy way is to do fictitious projects. Let's say that you're looking to be an advertising copywriter, you might pick your favorite product and do a TV, radio, billboard or print ad for it. Once complete, put it in your portfolio. Make sure your visitors know that you didn't actually do it for the company. What you're doing is showing ability.

Check out a copy of The Writer's Guide. It lists general professional rates for all types of work. I'd just look at it in the library or your local bookstore. Bring a pad and pen to write the info down.

There's also a list of who's charging what in the copywriting business, but it costs $149. While it's a great resource, it would be overkill at this point.

marketjunction, Feb 11, 2008 IP
  3. chowser

chowser Peon

Best Answers:
    If I was starting out as a copywriter, I would get my own website.
    It's not too hard to make your own or find someone to do a simple one.
    Look at websites made by other successful copywriters.

I would also suggest you check out elance. There are copywriters there and portfolio examples. You could create an account there.

Just starting out you can charge less than other people to build up your portfolio. You can put unpaid jobs in your porfolio as well as paid jobs.

Not-for-profits and charities could do with help on their copywriting in return for a positive reference and letting you use their name in your porfolio.
    I have my own not-for-profit website so get in touch if you are interested.

chowser, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  4. NextDay-Copy

NextDay-Copy Peon

Best Answers:
    go out and get some toe-to-toe belly-to-belly real life sales experience.

copywriting is about sales, less about writing.

NextDay-Copy, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  5. snarke

snarke Peon

Best Answers:
    "toe-to-toe belly-to-belly" Good lord, I just had a flashback to my days in retail and all of the close talkers with halitosis and dirty hamster cage cologne! :)

snarke, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  6. sums123

sums123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello,

If you want to do something in writing,simple and easiest thing is to write a blog.

First you need to decide what kind of writing you enjoy do you like writing about travelling or photography or any other topic.Then write your blog on it,you will really get experienced while writing.

Regards

sums123, Feb 15, 2008 IP
  7. aja-promoters

aja-promoters Peon

Best Answers:
    I have done a part course with AWAI, I assure it is just fantastic and and few genuine things going on internet. They also help you to get the project, I think that would be the best. I could not complete it due to finance crunch. I have learned some of the finner things from them in copywriting. It is correct copy writing is not about writing but selling.

aja-promoters, Feb 15, 2008 IP
  8. webgal

webgal Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, it depends on what type of copywriting. There is the Portfolio Center in Atlanta, there is a center of advertising at VCU (Virginia Commonwealth University) and UNC has built their advertising journalism department. That's if you want to go to the school/educational approach. And that's more for advertising copywriting which usually comprises the macro of branding.

It might be overkill for something as specific as direct response. However, there are classes being taught regarding direct response or teleseminars.

I have to respectfully disagree with Next-Day copy on one point. I agree that copywriting is about salesman ship. But great copywriters don't always make great face-to-face sales people and good sales people can't always translate it into good copy. I've met enough hotshot sales people to realize that. I've met many that can give me vital selling information that are key to making the difference but they often just miss on how to commit them to paper much less choreograph the message in just the right way. Knowledge of a flair for saying it the right way is important. But basically, I agree with the fact that a good copywriter has to realize good salesmanship.

I mentioned the education approaches because they give you someone to ask questions and confidence in yourself. It also offers you a direction because otherwise you will flop randomly about before you find the right road to follow. It's a really tough business and not for the faint of nerve.

webgal, Feb 15, 2008 IP
  9. LoudMac

LoudMac Peon

Best Answers:
    Liza,

Please do yourself a favor and spend some time here and here:

The Gary Halbert Letter dot com

and Frank Kern's Mass Control Sales Letter Deconstructed Video

MassControlSite dot come slash blog slash ?p=10

If you don't come out the other end a better copywriter, I'll eat my hat.

Best,

Brian McLeod
    Miami, Florida

LoudMac, Feb 17, 2008 IP
  10. Patricksia2007

Patricksia2007 Peon

Best Answers:
    You might want to register in Elance.com and you could start to bid for a job as a copywriter.

Cheers!

Patricksia2007, Feb 17, 2008 IP
  11. LoudMac

LoudMac Peon

Best Answers:
    Freudian Slip or overeager finger, only you can decide...
    ;)

LoudMac, Feb 17, 2008 IP
  12. MikeCe

MikeCe Peon

Best Answers:
    Go to Amazon.com and get the classics used

Caples (4th edition or earlier)
    Sugarman
    Schwab
    Ogilvy
    Collier

plus Dan Kennedy's Ultimate Sales Letter

Read all of them.

Read thegaryhalbertletter.com (the entire site).

All of the above will cost less than $100 and you'll get a copywriting education worth more than $100,000.

MikeCe, Feb 18, 2008 IP
  13. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't go that far. :)

I'd add that it's vital to get into a group or make connections with pros. And I don't mean just anyone. If you're going to do advertising copywriting, seek out those pros. If you're going to become a sales letter wiz for the nutrition business, seek out pros in that area.

Feedback from qualified professionals is an absolute must. Without it, you will hit a low glass ceiling (even though you might not realize it).

Think of it this way. Books, classes and courses create the path. Qualified feedback and instruction light the way.

marketjunction, Feb 18, 2008 IP
  14. Power_Writer

Power_Writer Peon

Best Answers:
    Or request them to be ordered at your local library!

Power_Writer, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  15. timj1

timj1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Go to Michel Fortins successdoctor.com... go to the 'let us write your copy' link... scroll down to the 12 examples of his work... read and learn!

timj1, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  16. woob

woob Banned

Best Answers:
    You start by answering three questions:

What?
    Why?
    How?

You see, in everything that you attempt to write, these are the three fundamental questions that must be answered to make sense of your topic, and thus make what you have written meaningful to your reader.

What am I writing about?

Why is it important?

How will it affect your reader's life?

Incidentally, these three questions will help you to write articles with ease. And they will also help you to avoid writer's block.

woob, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  17. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Yet another poster gung ho about wanting to do something but doesn't bother to get back with their own thread.

Yeah, they sure are serious alright.

Perry Rose, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  18. kelhalla

kelhalla Active Member

Best Answers:
    These are all insightful tips. Too bad the OP doesn't seem interested in learning about the steps to start

kelhalla, Feb 25, 2008 IP
  19. ronintrader.com

ronintrader.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, great topic - lots of excellent pointers - no takers. I for one am noting them!

ronintrader.com, Feb 25, 2008 IP
  20. ladyk5

ladyk5 Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi Liza

Try this course www.killercopywritecourse.com its one of the cheapest on the web right now and offers valueable insight

ladyk5, Mar 1, 2008 IP