1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I wonder how long until us regular people cannot make money online

Discussion in 'General Business' started by David26, Apr 20, 2009.

1. dragons5

dragons5 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    this won't happen if webmasters stop devaluing their unique traffic. I am sorry but $1 for a thousand people is cheap! You think Pepsi only pays $540 to advertise at a baseball game with 54,000 fans? you would be insane to think this is real value.

i've blogged about it before. we need to make at least $5-$7 CPM's to make profit as media outlets.

dragons5, Apr 21, 2009 IP
  2. David26

David26 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am not too concerned with MS since most people avoid them just for their name alone.

David26, Apr 22, 2009 IP
  3. Savrice

Savrice Peon

Best Answers:
    All those top websites started at the same spot everyone else is. You just need to keep with it and someday you will be able to get as big as they are.

Savrice, Apr 22, 2009 IP
  4. dragons5

Best Answers:
    untrue. most top sites started with top investment firms. They were not big until big money saw their value. Even those that have no profit structure but have a unique offering have gotten popular mostly by the power of investment firms.

dragons5, Apr 22, 2009 IP
  5. Kwaku

Kwaku Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just what you say; 'they were not big until big money saw their value'; up to that time they were little. So they *started* in the same sport most of us are. Not untrue.

Kwaku, Apr 23, 2009 IP
  6. dragons5

Best Answers:
    exactly. do you know how much a media blog or news site in the 10k-1k Alexa range gets for a CPM?

do you know how much the same site in the 350k-90k range gets?

to assume that if you just 'stick with it' you will get rich is a pipedream. Sure there are a handful of upstarts that made it without sophisticated financial development, but the vast majority fail or sell off quickly. Only about 5% of usa based websites can expect to drive themselves through the murk and into the range of traffic where they are making profit.

my suggestion is take out a small business loan and start advertising your site, do that for 2 or 3 months and begin sending a business place to venture capital investors.

check out this video for example:
    http://gmy.news.yahoo.com/v/13112973

YouTube is LOSING $30 million a month .. a MONTH! and they probably charge far more than your average video hosting website.

dragons5, Apr 23, 2009 IP
  7. David26

David26 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am not surprised. I had the YouTube idea to provide users to share vids years before that site was born. However the cost and the huge amount of bandwidth and storage required for each user would have been too expensive. Most of the people on YouTube are kids without jobs who want to watch everything for free. They use their FireFox browsers that block all ads, so I understand the loss.

David26, May 1, 2009 IP
  8. the writer

the writer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Odd thing about it is, if YouTube had started out charging even pennies to post a video, like eBay does, they'd be raking in the dollars.

the writer, May 9, 2009 IP