1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I was offered $150 for a domain, now what?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Freebies, Apr 26, 2005.

I was just offered $150 for a poker domain that I just parked at sedo three days ago.

This is my first time selling a parked domain and I would appreciate any suggestions on how I should handle negotiations from here?

Freebies, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  2. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    Bid it up. Tell them you have not evaluated all of your options yet. :)

But I guess there would be a greed threshold, so be careful.

noppid, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  3. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    A number of factors come into play. Factors such as:

Do you need the money?
    How close to your asking price is the offer?
    Is the offer within a reasonable range of what you consider the worth?

If you do not need the money (in terms of paying this month's bills, etc), and the offer is considerably under your asking price, I would counter that you just listed the domain and their offer is too low for consideration. Because Poker domains hold value well, you would be more inclined to take it off the market if the price were $xxx (closer to your asking price, say 80-90%).

If the domain is close to your asking price, I would accept it. But that's just me. I'm fairly easy to work with myself and don't quibble over a price if it's reasonably close to my asking price.

Good luck with your sale!

GTech, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  4. ian_ok

ian_ok Peon

Best Answers:
    I read on here where a guy bought a domain something like realestateforum.com for close to $1000 it was a name he wanted and was prepared to pay the price, the thing is they either want to use it themself (worth more to you) or to sell it on (they want it cheaper from you!)

I'd start high and see where they want to meet you, just like selling a house.

Ian

ian_ok, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  5. akeeldin

akeeldin Guest

Best Answers:
    What is the domain name?

akeeldin, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  6. ian_ok

ian_ok Peon

Best Answers:
    Good question....as someone on here might say....oh yes that's a good name I'll offer you xxxx or it's worth at least xxxx

You could always sell it on ebay if it is a real good name and inform the perpective buyer they have to bid!

Ian

ian_ok, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  7. AfterHim.com

AfterHim.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree that we need to know the domain. Also, how much did you pay for it. Is this all profit?

Do you have plans to develop it?

Brandon

AfterHim.com, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  8. mhdoc

mhdoc Tauren

Best Answers:
    It may or may not apply, but I found with real estate deals the first offer(s) were often the best. They came from people who were actively looking, knew the market, and were ready to deal. I turned some down because I thought I could do better, and later wished I had accepted.

mhdoc, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  9. noppid

Best Answers:

No you don't, it's really none of our business to be honest.

The basic question can be answered without that.

noppid, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  10. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Just make sure should you choose to sell it, that the buyer picks up any and all fees for the transfer of the domain and you have that in writing. For example, to transfer ownership of a .co.uk domain name with the registering authority (Nominet), there is a £100 (approx. $200) transfer fee.

mcfox, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  11. Freebies

Freebies Peon

Best Answers:

Can it hurt me if I do post the domain name and how might in hinder my sale?

12. noppid

Best Answers:
    That's up to you. As I said before, there is negotiation and greed. A customers perception will rule that.

If you post it and drive up the price, you could make the sale regardless though.

My point was that it's private till you make it public. I assumed since your first post did not include that info the actual information was private and you wanted general advice.

Go for it if ya want to see the results here though.

noppid, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  13. OpenForSale.com

OpenForSale.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, do you WANT to sell it?

I think Sedo takes $100 as sales commission. So there isn't much left in the end.

Consider if the domain could fetch much more. Good poker domains have been sold in the region of high $XXX and even $X,XXX. So don't sell yourself short or be in a hurry especially if your domain is a good one.

If you're not sure, I can evaluate it for you if you like.

Maybe, you could make a counter offer as Ian suggested, and see how the buyer responds. I would suggest 2X the price you would be comfortable selling the name for. That would leave room for negotiations, if necessary.

Good luck.

P.S. If you'd like me to appraise the domain for you, email it to me. (And no, I am not asking for a cut from the sale :) )

My site: http://www.OpenForSale.com
    email: ofs-at-openforsale.com

OpenForSale.com, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  14. Freebies

Freebies Peon

Best Answers:
    I do need the money.
    It is not close to my asking price.
    I think it's worth $500.00

I do understand why this would be helpful and I may post it later if my counter offer is not accepted but for now I would rather not say, as this might be considered a greedy attempt at boosting this price.

I will however post it if and when I finalize the sale.

I agree that we need to know the domain. Also, how much did you pay for it. Is this all profit?

I registered it last month, so it's almost all profit.

I have been developing it but I own several more domain names that I had also been considering using instead.

It's a dot com and is registered at godaddy so I don't believe there will be an issue with it.

I'm a gambler by nature, so I truly would like to post it here but I think I'll take the high road, especially with this being my first transaction.

Any more thoughts on this subject?

15. noppid

Best Answers:
    I'm no smarter then you, I just love giving my opinion. Carry on. Looks like you got whatcha needed. :)

noppid, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  16. Freebies

Freebies Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's how my Negotiations are going. Perhaps a lesson can be learned from this type of situation for future reference. Although that’s one of the great and confusing things about the digital millennium, it’s not something that has rules built for longevity, because, a standard may be set one month and become no longer relevant the next.

My first reply: I sent the prospective buyer a counter offer of $475 a price that I believe is reasonable but possibly too high, leaving us some room, if the prospect is still interested. My belief is that if the buyer still has interest, they will most likely be willing to settle this for above the $400 level and that’s about what I had truly believed this domain was worth in the first place.

I understand that this may seem that I might be going to a lot of trouble for what may, at best turn out to be a $292 difference after sedo commissions and while that is a great deal of money to many, it’s not going to alter my life in any way.

You must understand that for me this is an important experience because I have been interested in domain prospecting for several years now but have only gotten serious about it in the past five months.

Hopefully I will learn something encouraging from this experience even if I don’t get to negotiate any further.

Freebies, Apr 27, 2005 IP
  17. OpenForSale.com

OpenForSale.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    $400 is a good return on a $10 investment in any industry :)

The question is how much your buyer wants the name. Their response to your counter offer will tell.

Here are a few other interesting actual 'poker' domain sales: Maybe it might give you an idea where your name might sit.

VivaPoker.com $5,000
    SupremePoker.com $1,750
    PokerKitty.com $1,000
    PokerAlert.com $750
    OnlinePokerBetting.com $500
    PokerStars.info $500
    PokerGamble.com $295
    ParadisePoker.us $250
    GrandSlamofPoker.com $175

Good luck.

OpenForSale.com, Apr 27, 2005 IP
  18. City2

City2 Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL tgkrishna... Your domain isn't worth reg price, I hate when people think other would over pay for useless domains

City2, May 5, 2005 IP
  19. paymentapprovaltooslow

paymentapprovaltooslow Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes, some domains are just bad...

paymentapprovaltooslow, May 5, 2005 IP