1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I want to start my forum within this week. However,...

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by canon888, Dec 6, 2010.

I heard a lot of people say vbulletin is the best choice. However, I've found many argument saying vbulletin do not worth the money and the version still very old and do not follow market trend. The thing is I dont mind paying for vbulletin license, BUT still if there is any free software out there that is better than vbulletin please do tell me. The choice is vbulletin,mybb,phpbb,smf and invision... I like digitalpoint forum(vbulletin) cause they can create many section and customize and I heard it seo friendly, but does any forum software offer and better??

and if does anyone know what kind of forum software www.dpreview.com is using?? thanks

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
    canon888, Dec 6, 2010 IP
  2. IsraeI

IsraeI Peon

Best Answers:
    Vbulletin is the best, but if you don't want to pay for that you can try phpbb or simple machines.

IsraeI, Dec 6, 2010 IP
  3. GeeOne

GeeOne Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest you to go for VB. I started with phpbb and with in one week switched to VB.

G!

GeeOne, Dec 15, 2010 IP
  4. gamblinglord

gamblinglord Peon

Best Answers:
    well that website forum is definitely customized. That is not normally offered in a standard forum.

gamblinglord, Dec 27, 2010 IP
  5. lokeshshri

lokeshshri Peon

Best Answers:
    You can start your account with in a week on forum.digitalpoint.com

lokeshshri, Dec 28, 2010 IP
  6. fokerss

fokerss Active Member

Best Answers:
    you can try mybb it was great .

fokerss, Dec 29, 2010 IP
  7. mnmani

mnmani Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    myBB is almost similar to vB and SMF is also a good option. phpBB doesn't suit beginners ...

mnmani, Dec 29, 2010 IP
  8. giorgioarmani

giorgioarmani Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    vbulletin is good... but you can also just test the water with something that's free... phpBB. MyBB... PunBB... etc.

giorgioarmani, Jan 9, 2011 IP
  9. Groovystar

Groovystar Peon

Best Answers:
    I hear MyBB is the most similar to Vbulletin but it is free. Xenforo is a new brand that I am hearing good things about. You should at least check them out. I know someone who's running a demo on it. Not sure if it's still open to have a look at though. My own forum runs on SMF, which is free, but it is heavily customised. Which if you really get into your forum, you're going to want to do regardless, I think.

Vbulletin used to be top of the line but since being bought out they seem to have lost their way and stumbled a bit.

Groovystar, Jan 12, 2011 IP
  10. -Aw-

-Aw- Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have a demo for xenForo myself (don't know if Groovystar refers to me, because I know her), if you want to try it. I don't really recommend using it in a live forum until at least the release candidates come out, but it has been very stable, definitely more stable than the track record of vBulletin under Internet Brands.

http://xen.crystalcoconut.com
    Username: admin
    Password: xenForo1

I myself though am a MyBB guy. When I think about, I can get most of the actual SEO-related stuff from the vBulletin+vBSEO offering on MyBB. I mean, my own forums have the header tags, the FURL, rel=canonical, descriptive titles, dynamic metas, etc. Really, I want to know what can a paid option do that a free option cannot?

-Aw-, Jan 13, 2011 IP
  11. calum

calum Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks heaps - I have been trying to decide whether to switch from SMF to MyBB or XenForo, but the lack of a xenforo admin demo and any information makes it hard to decide.

calum, Jan 17, 2011 IP
  12. Groovystar

Groovystar Peon

Best Answers:
    OMG that's you from forum promotion? :) Yup you're the one I thought of, because I had a brief look at it myself a week or so back. It's very generous of you to be running that demo. Otherwise it is very hard to really get a taste of whether a given paid software is what you want before you buy and they are quite pricey usually.

Groovystar, Jan 17, 2011 IP