1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I want to Setup Public APACHE Server

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Beginner OP, Sep 15, 2015.

I want to Setup Public APACHE Server on my IP so each and everyone in the world can access my server and also access my files that i share on my APACHE SERVER

Beginner OP, Sep 15, 2015 IP
  2. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can do that by setting the directory you store your public files in to show a list of files. I think that is the way Apache is by default. If not, then set:

Options +Indexes

in you htaccess or server config file. That will display a list of files in the folder if no default file can be found (index.htm or index.html).

billzo, Sep 15, 2015 IP
  3. HTML7

HTML7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, here's a great tutorial on how to setup an Apache server:
    http://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/an-introduction-to-apache--net-25786

I don't mean to discourage you, but this is actually a pretty hard thing to do though, especially if you want your server to be secure (you always have to keep it updated etc). Unless you absolutely need to manage your own server, a much easier approach to serving your own files would be to go with a website hosting company that will take care of all that hassle for you. Personally, I'd recommend Amazon S3 since it's fast and quite cheap.

Hope this helps!

HTML7, Sep 15, 2015 IP
  4. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I must have misunderstood. Setting up an apache server is easy. Just download it and install it.

billzo, Sep 15, 2015 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  5. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Unless you have a computer with a direct public IP, you'll have to do some network setup as well as setting up the Apache-server - normally NAT'ing (or assign the computer with the Apache server to a DMZ). Either way you need to let people from the outside (Internet) access the inside (your PC with Apache on it).
    If you have a public IP-address, then you can skip that bit alltogether, but you'll be facing a lot more security problems.

PoPSiCLe, Sep 15, 2015 IP
  6. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly. Due to different WAMP/LAMP/MAMP packages available now any idiot can do it.

So just do it? Have you heard of a search engine? Type the words in, read and then do.

ryan_uk, Oct 4, 2015 IP