1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I want to operate an ISP business how?

Discussion in 'Optigold ISP' started by toby, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Where is the best place then?

toby, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  2. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Mia, Nov 3, 2008 IP
    toby likes this.
  3. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, Mia! good luck with your presidential campaign :)

toby, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  4. live-cms_com

live-cms_com Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Web hosting and ISPs are very different industries. Starting an ISP requires a large investment, starting a web host doesn't.

live-cms_com, Nov 3, 2008 IP
    toby likes this.
  5. sfer

sfer Peon

Best Answers:
    From what I can see, the OP is looking at starting an ISP ISP, not a web hosting service. An ISP is a very serious, dedicated investment which doesn't have the greatest of returns.

sfer, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  6. sfer

sfer Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for explaining that, my point exactly.

sfer, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  7. sfer

sfer Peon

Best Answers:
    Definitely not a forum. No matter how many "experts" are here, if you go to a forum looking to start an ISP - obviously you're not the kind of person that would be able to handle an ISP, you're not serious about it.

sfer, Nov 3, 2008 IP
  8. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I may "not" look serious but by asking in the forums, I hope to open up some ideas. That's the whole point.

It takes question to get an answer. I find that forum is a good staring point to gather more information before delving into the details of business plans etc.

and Live-cms, thank you. and I agree with your point of hosting service.

btw, sfer, you "still" have not answer my question>> where else can i seek more info besides this forum?

toby, Nov 4, 2008 IP
  9. live-cms_com

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Contact prominent business people on your area, or contact employees of web hosting companies. Barely anybody here will have experience running an ISP, and to get useful information will require you speak to people with actual experience.

live-cms_com, Nov 4, 2008 IP
  10. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    that's exactly I'm doing here: since I thought DP has some experts in this area.

However, like u said, probably those experts have yet to become an active member of DP.

Thanks, Brisbaner :)

toby, Nov 4, 2008 IP
  11. live-cms_com

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I see you are from Australia.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/ is probably the most relevant forum to your venture.

As you can see, whirlpool has 12 ISPs listed, I imagine the smallest of the 12 would have cost at least $x,xxx,xxx to get to where it is. So by starting an ISP you will likely make it big or lose big. ;) To make it big you'll need to spend a lot on marketing to grab market share from 12 existing competitors.

live-cms_com, Nov 4, 2008 IP
  12. rohan_shenoy

rohan_shenoy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sure, it sounds like a good idea.

I will explain you what the situatuin in Indian suburbs is:
    Broadband is comparatively new here. There are many companies that provide bandwidth, but hardly anyone has a wired network that covers a huge geographical area. But there is another wired network, of the 'Cable TV' that has a great reach into homes. Hence, many local networks here are managed by Cable TV operators.

So, the situation is like every area has its own LAN. The ISP's pipe does not come to your home, instead it comes only till your cable operators, further of which, it carried by the LAN. As a result, we have many ISP that supply bandwidth on the same end-mile LAN infrastructure. When we want to change ISPs, the cable operator just has to plug the ethernet wire into some another box!

Points to think for you:
    1. Does your area of business have networks? If yes, do you own them, or is there any way you can share them?
    2. If there is no network, can investment to create one?
    3. Or do you want to think about wireless internet?

About expenses on marketing, If you are planning to enter an area that already has providers, I suggest you look for another area. Reasons:
    1. If there isn't enough market, the market will be so fragmented that none of you will have sustainble business.
    2. Even if you say that 'I am better in so and so aspect', it is easy for the other providers to improve and compete with you.

I will come back to this thread when I can think of more!

rohan_shenoy, Nov 4, 2008 IP
    toby likes this.
  13. eSlacK

eSlacK Peon

Best Answers:
    you need a lot of money, you need a datanceter, infrastructure, personal, a lot of marketing, and you must know what you are doing!

eSlacK, Nov 6, 2008 IP
  14. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    rohan and live-cms, that's something I appreciate in response. That's some insightful towards operating this type of business.

of course money is a big thing and I'm prepare for that (in the long run). What i lack is some overall knowledge of what is needed to get it started (NOT money issue here)

toby, Nov 7, 2008 IP
  15. sclek

sclek Banned

Best Answers:
    sclek, Nov 8, 2008 IP
    toby likes this.
  16. remember123

remember123 Peon

Best Answers:
    omg...i think its a big deal :D
    well u could first start as a franchise from a good isp and then gain some experience and then try :D

remember123, Nov 8, 2008 IP
    toby likes this.
  17. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    sclek and remember123, SEE! u guys do have some ideas. Now, i have just got another input from both of u i.e. reseller and franchise.

thanks mates! and keep them coming.

toby, Nov 8, 2008 IP
  18. mikey626

mikey626 Peon

Best Answers:
    Money is what you need the most, but if you could find a group of people that are willing to use the ISP, it could work out.

mikey626, Nov 9, 2008 IP
  19. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Your best bet in todays market is to buy an already existing ISP business. Starting one from the ground up now-a-days requires way too much capital investment and expense. You really do not need to know the technical aspect of the business however, which was key in the past.

We started back in 1997 after about 2 years of research and planing. It was tough, took about $25k in 1997 in initial capital, and made a profit in its first year of operation. Back then you needed a lot more no how, and in many cases you were making things work by designing and building the software/hardware yourself.

Today you don't even need the hardware, you can do almost anything via a VPOP (virtual pop) service.

When we started there were only a handful of ISP's out there. Today there are a lot less than the peak of some 10,000 ISP's but it is still more competitive than it was when we started. I've still got a bunch of PM3's that I paid over $12k a piece for to do dialup, that are not worth shit. Sold the PM2's long ago before them at a huge loss as well.

Things are cheaper cost wise, bandwidth, every form of transit, etc. But the market is much different too. You get a lot less out of the consumer. We used to get $150/mo. for a dedicated dialup line back in the day. At one point we got $200/yr for domain names, and at one point we were making over $500/mo. for wireless subscribers that barely pay $49/mo. for all you can eat today.

The dynamics of the game have changed a lot over the years. Starting one from scratch would be complete suicide IMO.

Mia, Nov 10, 2008 IP
  20. UncleBun

UncleBun Banned

Best Answers:
    This is not easy seriously.

UncleBun, Nov 10, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.