1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I want to make my own Adf.ly URL Shortening site

Discussion in 'Programming' started by KinglerWebDesign.com, Nov 8, 2014.

Hello,
    I want to start making my own Adf.ly URL Shortening service, but I don't know where to start. I have the domain and hosting covered. I'm fluent in HTML & Python but not really competent to work with PHP yet.

Here is basically the structure that I want my site to consist of:

1.) The user creates an account on our site wanting to shorten a long link they have (i.e: https://forums.digitalpoint.com/forums/programming.17) after they've shortened it using our URL shortener it should turn out like this, http://firef.ly/FsgSe.

2.) Now, when they click on the newly shortened link it takes them to some page on my site where there are a bunch of ADs, they stay on that page for 5 seconds, after the 5 seconds it redirects them to the actual site they want to go to.

3.) But what does the person shortening the link get out of it? I want them to get paid every time someone clicks on their link ($0.0020 or something per-click) so it encourages them to get more clicks, and I get more AD revenue money.

So that's basically what I want my site to have, if someone could perhaps guide me in the right direction that would be helpful.

I'm currently using YOURLS URL Shortening script, the problem is I can't make it redirect to my "AD Page" and them to their actually desired page after a given amount of time :/

King Regards,
    - Mateo

KinglerWebDesign.com, Nov 8, 2014 IP
  2. Anveto

Anveto Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have used this script in the past http://codecanyon.net/item/premium-url-shortener/3688135 ($22) which has most of the features you need, not sure about revenue sharing.

As for customizing your script you will need to catch the redirect halfway. Most likely you will find "header('Location:" somewhere in that script which will be the code that redirects. You will need to most likely remove that and make the script show your ad page and then use window.location with javascript to redirect the user automatically or present a button after 5 sec to let them continue.

Anveto, Nov 8, 2014 IP
  3. KinglerWebDesign.com

KinglerWebDesign.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll look into the script thanks :)

4. KinglerWebDesign.com

Best Answers:
    By the way, do you have any idea if there's a way to pay link publishers every month based on how many clicks they've gotten on there links? ex: 1000 clicks = $8 or something.

5. Anveto

Anveto Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sure, do you have a more specific question in regards to that? You could calculate the clicks on each link and then just make an equation to get the amount clicks X 0.008 = payout amount and then send the money via paypal or something.

Anveto, Nov 8, 2014 IP
  6. KinglerWebDesign.com

Best Answers:
    I was wondering if there was a script that does it automatically for them, I want them to be able to withdraw their funds once they reach the $5 withdrawal minimum. Just to make it easier on me, and not having to send the money manually.

7. Anveto

Anveto Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Usually you would want to be able to approve the withdrawal so that you don't get scammed. But no I don't know of a script that will do that but if you look in the Buy/Sell section there may be someone who could code it for you.

Anveto, Nov 8, 2014 IP
  8. KinglerWebDesign.com

Best Answers:
    Alright, thanks so much for this :D

9. swaggerer

swaggerer Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dude honestly, don't bother. It's just a waste of money, imo, (domain costs, hosting fees) and there's a bunch of url shortening services out there. Just my two cents.

swaggerer, Nov 9, 2014 IP
  10. Mattingley

Mattingley Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Stupid idea it would be way too easy to exploit the script to send out payments without generating any clicks, or to fake the clicks and get automatic payments.
    Honestly reconsider your approach before you loose all of your startup capital.

Mattingley, Nov 10, 2014 IP
  11. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't want to call it a stupid idea like others have.......but I agree it's not worth your time.

#1. You know Python. There's no need to know PHP. Since you are fluent in Python you possess all of the skills to create such a service/web site.

#2.
    By encouraging ad clicks you will get fraudulent clicks and with no doubt lose your affiliate membership. ALSO you are serving as the middle man or 3rd party for such an ad revenue service. You will see a very little return.

But more importantly... $0.0020 per click? You mean to tell me if I send my link to twenty thousand people and one thousand people click you will write me a generous check for a whopping two bucks? Get out....

Get out.....

Seriously get out of here.....

NetStar, Nov 10, 2014 IP