1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I want to learn HTML. What is a good course or book?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by jaredgravatt, Jan 1, 2008.

1. bordello

bordello Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I Suggest You To Learn Yourself In Frontpage............Frontpage Is the Higher level Of Html..........i Suggest You To Play first With Frontpage

Thanks

bordello, Jan 2, 2008 IP
  2. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Both w3schools and FrontPage are crap. Seriously. The former is riddled with errors, doesn't actually explain HOW to use anything, especially in context with other elements, and hasn't been updated in years. The latter, well let's just say that if Microsoft doesn't even support it...

Dan Schulz, Jan 2, 2008 IP
  3. rootkit

rootkit Peon

Best Answers:
    try reading some ebooks by Sitepoint .. i learnt my HTML basics by reading them. They are pretty good and explaination is easily understood by beginners(like myself) :p

rootkit, Jan 2, 2008 IP
  4. azharcs

azharcs Peon

Best Answers:
    Learning backwords is awesome . Learn PHP first, by seeing sample codes of php and embedded HTML, you will understand HTML.

azharcs, Jan 2, 2008 IP
  5. Nikhil143

Nikhil143 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thankyou guys..........indeed i was looking for information on how to learn HTML and i got it all or atleast to start with........

Thanks a lot all of you.

Nikhil143, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  6. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a VERY bad idea. You need to know how HTML works before you even think about using PHP (or any other server-side programming language) to generate Web pages. If you don't now HTML, you're going to be up the creek without a paddle if you try to tackle PHP first.

Dan Schulz, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  7. TheVccMatey

TheVccMatey Peon

Best Answers:
    www.w3schoools.com is really good. But the best way would be to learn from available website scripts.

TheVccMatey, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  8. AdamSee

AdamSee Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Bulletproof web design. Although it isn't aimed at beginners, I recommend it if you're a quick learner. (http://www.amazon.com/Bulletproof-Web-Design-flexibility-protecting/dp/0321509021/) You'll go straight into the meat of real-life web development problems, without getting too technical, whilst learning some great CSS & HTML practices right from the start.

HTML mastery (preview here: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...ct=title&cad=one-book-with-thumbnail#PPA26,M1) is another great book that covers HTML in-depth.
    http://www.amazon.com/HTML-Mastery-Semantics-Standards-Styling/dp/1590597656

AdamSee, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  9. Tudi

Tudi Peon

Best Answers:
    The Dreamweaver tutorials were nice and you can also test hands-on what you're doing :) But you need to buy Adobe Dreamweaver, obviously.

Tudi, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  10. rmartish

rmartish Peon

Best Answers:
    Frontpage? I have never meet a serious web designer ever use this program. It has more html errors that you can imagine. Stick with notepad or buy Dreamweaver.

rmartish, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  11. Tudi

Tudi Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess for basic HTML, frontpage can be an alternative. But as far as WYSIWYG editors go, I'd stick with dreamweaver in the long run.

Tudi, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  12. jaredgravatt

jaredgravatt Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys for all your input. I have tried using w3schools and personally find it a little bit too 'simple' in its style of teaching.

I don't actually have dreamweaver at the moment, and don't fancy buying it for the odd site here and there And frontpage is crap.

I am about to browse some of the other suggested sites and books, so wish me luck.

jaredgravatt, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  13. Tudi

Tudi Peon

Best Answers:
    Jared, I'm pretty sure there's a free trial of Adobe Dreamweaver on www .adobe.com

I think HTML is something you would rather learn "hands-on", while actually experimenting it, rather than by reading a book.

Tudi, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  14. jaredgravatt

jaredgravatt Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks.

One more question. What is XHTML compared to HTML. Should I learn one over the other?

jaredgravatt, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  15. happymoney

happymoney Peon

Best Answers:
    I learned html by using some free WYSIWYG-editor and readng. I think that it was great compination. Easy way of making page and you can still learn and try different things.

happymoney, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  16. azharcs

azharcs Peon

Best Answers:
    I personally don't prefer this because, HTML is just tags, when people learn HTML first, they tend to go very deep and learn each and every tags, But in reality only some of the tags are useful and When you see any sample code of php which has embedded HTML, you can look up for what it does and hence this is a good method, which i use. This is faster.

azharcs, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  17. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Which also completely ignores the rules of HTML. Ever hear of a thing called semantics? HTML isn't just a simple stupid markup language. It's reach and influence goes far beyond structuring a Web page. Look at accessibility, usability, and even SEO. If you don't take the time to learn HTML properly, you're just shooting yourself in the foot, cutting off your nose to spite your face and so forth. You can only "learn" so much from experimenting. You really want to learn it? Sit down and read a book. I'm not kidding. (I'm saying this from personal experience, if that means anything to you.)

And Jared, you'll want to read this if you want to know the difference between HTML and XHTML:
    XHTML vs HTML FAQ [link: sitepoint.com]
    XHTML 1.0 vs XHTML 1.1 [link: sitepoint.com]
    Frequently Asked Questions about HTML [link: sitepoint.com]

Dan Schulz, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  18. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah, but this book isn't one you sit down on the couch and read (well, maybe the first chapter if you don't know what HTML is or how to open something like Notepad).

It's like, page whatever, type THIS and look at it in your browser. Now, this is what you just typed means. Now type THIS OTHER THING... and here's what it means. Anyone can skip the explanations if they just want to build the page, but the explanations are what make it gold. You ARE building a site, but you're learning the semantic usage of the tags and WHY which I think it the most important part. Otherwise, you're just doing w3schools which shows you a tag and what it does and then you get those garbage web sites with everything positioned absolutely and <br> tags everywhere. Yuck.

Jared, if you DO end up trying the book, you will learn XHTML-- but most of the time there's not a huge difference, esp when you're beginning. In the beginning, it's just making sure the "empty" tags are ended XHTML style and not HTML style, and that the doctype says "XHTML". The reason I say that is because if you want people wth IE to view your site no problem, you're going to say "XHTML" but call it "text/html" anyway (so, not a real XML document). The reason most of my pages begin with XHTML is simply (only) because it's what I started with. The important thing is the "Strict" part, not the X part. : )

Stomme poes, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  19. marshall_26

marshall_26 Peon

Best Answers:
    I also highly recommend w3schools, or hands on experience get a template, or script and manipulate it.

It's a great place to start :)

marshall_26, Jan 3, 2008 IP
  20. samartha_561

samartha_561 Peon

Best Answers:
    hi!
    try the site esnips.com, here u can find something u need on basic html.
    most important is that u see source of the sites u visit and understand the tags used.
    all the best......

samartha_561, Jan 4, 2008 IP