1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I suffer from writers block

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by webgirl, Mar 22, 2007.

1. stilloutthere

stilloutthere Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know if it's really writer's block, but when I get stuck, the first thing I try is to work on something else. I wrote technical stuff for years, and when I just couldn't do it, I wrote an e-mail, or switched to editing, or some task related to writing that I could do. This made the problem work seem like a continuation of something I was doing successfully.

stilloutthere, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  2. shuttle

shuttle Active Member

Best Answers:
    could you please gives us more details on how you write "technical stuff"

10x in advance

shuttle, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  3. stilloutthere

stilloutthere Peon

Best Answers:
    You get a job with a big company that has a big IBM mainframe and about 400 programmers. You work with the ones that run the equipment, maintain the operating system, and make changes. You talk to them when 'things' happen, then your write technical 'stuff' for the application programmers and users so they know about the 'things' and know what to do to prepare, and how it will work afterwords.

The 'things' could be new storage media, new software, an upgrade to the system, removal of software, etc. The 'stuff' can be manual updates, e-mails, newletters, diagrams, procedures, memos, how-to's, cheat sheets, schedules, reminders, etc.

That help? And did you really want me to put that in the post? I think 'stuff' was pretty accurate.

stilloutthere, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  4. DeniseJ

DeniseJ Live, Laugh, Love

Best Answers:
    You could have just said you wrote technical manuals.

DeniseJ, Mar 28, 2007 IP
  5. shuttle

shuttle Active Member

Best Answers:
    That would've said it all.

shuttle, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  6. NathanielJ

NathanielJ Active Member

Best Answers:
    Changing the focus works for me too.;)

NathanielJ, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  7. shuttle

shuttle Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think it works for all of us. Once you distract yourself from what you're doing then you can easily spot the difference when you start witting again. This also helps the writer find some conceptual mistakes he/she has made.

shuttle, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  8. DeniseJ

Best Answers:
    Exactly. When you've been writing for long periods of time, it's actually beneficial to take a break from the piece for awhile. That way, you can return to it with fresh eyes - you're more likely to catch mistakes that you might have missed before.

DeniseJ, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  9. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    One of the questions was how to write about something that doesn't interest you. Well, research the subject (good way to spend time while you don't know what to write yet), write down keywords, and find stuff in that subject that do interest you - or your intended audience. Personally I don't write until I have inspiration, but then again, I don't write professionally.

kh7, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  10. Josiah

Josiah Banned

Best Answers:
    There is one thing that starts writers block and the main thing that starts it is 'loss of movement'...

Basically if you want to end copywriters block forever all you have to do is keep writing one word...

For example the the the the the the the thats all you do and I swear it works... After doing this ideas pop into your head and you just keep writing...

Another thing I'd like to ad is that I never have writers block, I dont know why this is but I don't I think half the reason is that I am creative and I alwayd have Ideas flowing through my head but the other is that I plan what I'm going to write...

And by the way if you're a good copywriter writers block will never be a problem because basically it just 'comes to you'

Hope this helps...

Josiah

Josiah, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  11. DeniseJ

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure I completely agree with you there Josiah. If you are a good writer, writers block can't happen to you? That's implying that writers block only happens to bad writers.

That simply isn't the case.

DeniseJ, Mar 31, 2007 IP
  12. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not to repeat Denise but I can't agree completely with you Josiah either.:rolleyes:

Yes, writing "comes" to copywriters but still, I think the perspective in this discussion is different.

If you are really a writer of creative, unique pieces, sometimes your constant striving for quality makes you feel blocked, lacking ideas, inspiration, enthusiasm. Nobody and nothing can convince me poor writers experience such writing block periods.Cheap writing simply has no ups and downs.

turbulence, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  13. mizmoon

mizmoon Guest

Best Answers:
    I find doing some Tai Chi helps get my brain to a calm center to be able to write when I'm having difficulty getting something on the page. The tea idea works too. And, I keep a pad and pencil beside my bed to write down something that might come to me in my sleep as well.

mizmoon, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  14. stilloutthere

stilloutthere Peon

Best Answers:
    The above are not manuals. Saying that writing a reference 'cheat sheet' is the same as writing a manual is pretty much the same as saying writing a content article is the same as 'copywriting'. And what pissed you all out about the word 'stuff' anyway?

stilloutthere, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  15. etali

etali Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When I get stuck, I read something I've already written that's vaguely related to the subject - it helps me remember my 'voice' and that makes it easier for me to start writing again. I try to at least get a few lines down after that, and if that's not working, I'll take a short break.

The worst thing to do is give up totally. If you get nothing done one day, it means you have even more to do the next day, and in my experience the fear of being so far behind makes you freeze up even more.

etali, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  16. porsche2006

porsche2006 Banned

Best Answers:
    Ya great tips here.

porsche2006, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  17. Pat Gael

Pat Gael Banned

Best Answers:
    Nice to see this thread coming up to surface.

I'm facing my third "mind-in-blank" day... and my deadline is approaching :rolleyes:

Pat Gael, Apr 3, 2007 IP
  18. askbryanmiller

askbryanmiller Active Member

Best Answers:
    I like this technique. Do you keep a journal? Reading and keeping a journal help me a lot.

askbryanmiller, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  19. R0b

R0b Peon

Best Answers:
    In my experience, writer's block often results from trying to look at the whole thing at once. It seems overwhelming. Pick one small part to write about, descriptively if you must, just to get going. I wrote about it once at
    http://www.businesspundit.com/50226711/how_to_find_topics_to_blog.php, with a long quote from the book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" that serves as an excellent example.

R0b, Jun 15, 2007 IP
  20. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, writer's block is just a way of saying that a person isn't tooled (mentally) enough.

A good "thinker" who is well trained (or perhaps just gifted) in the mind won't encounter this problem as much. How well you write doesn't matter if your brain isn't leading you in the right direction.

The good news is that your mind is like a muscle. You can exercise it and train it.

This is why I tell every writer that READING is vital. I try to read at least 2-3 books a month and hundreds of articles, ads, headlines and so forth. I've done this for over a decade. And I know it helps.

When you go to create, you're really not pulling something out of thin air. Your brain is RECALLING something and you're using it (or multiple items) to develop something new. The more you have to work with, the easier it is to begin.

marketjunction, Jun 15, 2007 IP