1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I submitted to directories but get no lovin back, they must be crap

Discussion in 'Directories' started by DownUnder, Jun 21, 2008.

1. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Jamie, I am not having a go at anyone, its just that you keep jumping out in front of me. The only remarks I have addressed to you in this thread was a polite explanation in answer to a specific question you posed. That you feel that my comments pointing out the deficiencies in many pay for directories is a go at you is something that you might have to look inwards for a resolution.

nebuchadrezzar, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  2. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't think so nebuchadrezzar and neither do the dozens of people who have p.m'd and e-mailed me on this. I'll repeat what I said in my last post to you. Nobody is going to change your bias outlook, neither do we want to. Your entitled to your views as much as anyone else, its how you project those views that is out of order.

You tar everyone with the same brush, resort to name calling, and don't even have a directory of your own which would qualify your answers. Show me something tangible of yours which would at least give me some faith in believing you actually have any experience in business or directories other than being a volunteer on a dying directory. Then I'll listen, until then, kindly refrain from preaching to me, this one ain't for converting. :rolleyes:

JamieG, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  3. jminscoe

jminscoe Peon

Best Answers:
    ah Heck Jamie I think he just likes following you around annoying you :D its what can almost be misconstrued as stalking:eek:

jminscoe, Jun 24, 2008 IP
    JamieG likes this.
  4. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    lol. I know, its getting kind of weird. :eek: :D

JamieG, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  5. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    Maybe what you really mean is he's accepted just so long as he agrees with everyone here. I like Neb, he talks without bullshit and is pretty much on the ball regarding directories and webmasters that run them. I don't think he feels he's the 'house speaker' - it's something you just labelled him with, doesn't mean he is at all. But you'd be angry if he red repped you for it wouldn't you, so why provoke him.

Most on here have some good basic knowledge, to extract submit fees, and if that's all they want out of life, then that's fine. But many think their experts, and if they were that good, they'd be famous, but they aren't.

I assure you nobody is here to take your little directories away from you, so no fears there - just don't attack the guy or anybody new just because he has knowledge or opinons you don't have or agree with.

Neb and I know so much, it's scary, and we could help you all a lot. I know things that the ordinary webmaster will not and have achieved much, and that's very valuable information to have. You can't buy this, you won't ever find this on any website, forum, blog - this is knowledge gained from dealing with agencies, newspapers and real clients over many years. There's no e-book here, I promise you.

So why do members here ruin that golden opportunity by annoying anybody via red reps or abusive comments in profiles. I wonder how Neb feels about that, probably the same I'd imagine.

Plus the fact we are clients of some of the directories on here and potential clients for others. I have a large database of clients willing to buy advertising with directories on here and some here red rep me - oh man! Fine, those have just lost a shed load of refferals, not to mention my money in submit fees.

What's that work out at per directory £20 a submit fee, £40? more? Now multiply £20 by 10'000 clients in my database alone and that's £200'000 worth of potential sales in the future. That's not including my 30'000 visitors passing by my site or the 50% that return each month.

I think I've made my point :)

Event_King, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  6. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    I think you're having the same maths problems again, similar to those ones you showed during the BB auditions;)

Spider-Man, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  7. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure on that one as one minute he accepts he's Liam the next he isn't. Then he's on a £200k a year salary which makes you wonder why he's even here. :confused:

I'm not going to stoop to comment on the so called customer base as quite honestly I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth anymore. I don't get joy saying that either, but £200k and posting on here, that in anyone's books is hard to swallow.

JamieG, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  8. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    As I told you the other day Jamie, you don't have to sell fake Rolex watches in the street to be an expert on Rolex watches.

I am here to discuss directories, unfortunately I have got side tracked into pissing matches with those who only welcome such discussions only if everyone is singing from the same song book. EK I might add has the balls to form his own opinions.

There are two points that I have been making consistently which are that most PFI general directories have so little content that the have no use for a searcher actually finding a site and that the value of their links are discounted in search engines such as google to such a level to make them almost worthless.

In general the response to these points has not been intelligent rebuttal but rather personal attacks, or justification using deceptive and circuitous means. This is taken to an even more bizarre level with this new trend of people suddenly jumping up an giving apparently unsolicited glowing reports of other members services.

Why is everyone so afraid to discuss these two points that are absolutley central to the function, use, and survival of directories?

9. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    Really, it's a shame I have to spread reputation around before I can give you a nice glowing red one again.

Spider-Man, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  10. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So your saying that if i submitt to 10K crappy free directories thats fine, but to pay to be included in a few good ones i will be penalized ?

I found it hard to hold a discussion with your one sided veiws and gave up.

DownUnder, Jun 24, 2008 IP
    Spider-Man likes this.
  11. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope, I am not saying that at all. What I am saying is that in the majority of cases the minuscule increment in link popularity you get from a pay for inclusion or free directory is the same.
    Rather than discuss the issues you would prefer to run around giving people red rep. Actually thats rather sad my little arachnid friend.

12. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    The 2 mentioned are facts, we know this to be true. But the owners of these bare websites are probably better off adding content and increasing their worth/service. But they don't, now why is that?

Fear maybe, fear of failure, who knows. It is strange that so many go on blogs, forums etc - and boast about adsense earnings (wow, you want to hear them :eek:), asking for the next gold secrets, when they don't get it that their wasting precious time, and are better off cutting their losses and trying something different. I guess many are scared of change - interesting one that.

Sometimes in business, one must admit that what once worked, just doesn't work anymore. It can be done, a bit of thought, effort and a decent idea can reap rewards.

What I do find is really funny, is that directories are being sold, they are pieces of crap (for lack of a better word), often got some penalty from Google, probably are part of a ring, and yet people buy them lol. And, and, there's a ton of info about this on the web omg lol.

:rolleyes: :confused: :eek:

Event_King, Jun 24, 2008 IP
  13. DownUnder

Best Answers:
    Please learn to have correct facts before opening your mouth, when and if i give a red lolly pop i always sign it, i have not given you a red rep, but while on the subject i have copped them from spinless people not signing them for this thread.

14. DownUnder

Best Answers:
    A good post, most of the time it is the comfort zone, to walk out on the wildside and risk failure is to great for most, but for those who do and get it right the effort is worth the reward.

15. nebuchadrezzar

nebuchadrezzar Peon

Best Answers:
    Indeed. My comments were posted immediately after a threat from spider-man to give me a "nice glowing red one", and my comments were directed at him

Yes I agree 100% that people who leave red rep unsigned are spineless. I have never sent a red rep to anyone, if I want to make a point I post.

By the way somehow this has turned into a pissing match again, and the topic of directories has fallen from the radar.

16. DownUnder

Best Answers:
    Sorry my fault, open appology did not pick up on that, post back on track.

17. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:

If you're referring to webmasters on forums - but they aren't getting it right.

The bog-standard general directory isn't powerful anymore, lets look at what we know about that:

The market is saturated
    They get too little traffic
    Traffic gained is just submitters and spammers
    Google devalues them
    Uniqueness once had, is gone forever
    Bad ROI
    Reputation is shot to hell by conflict on forums/blogs
    General directories are associated with Spam and Criminal activity
    Impossible to promote effectively on a tiny budget
    Many are being sold off
    Less than 1% make anything at all

No wonder there's little Lovin from directories :)

Event_King, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  18. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Banned

Best Answers:
    Again, get your facts right. I gave you red yesterday, and openly stated so on the forum. (Might want to read up on the entire purpose of the 'reputation' features of this forum). Unfortunately I still have to spread before I give you more for your consistent accusations, flaming and generally libellous coments.

One day a tongue like yours will end up in court, and I'd be only too happy to stand back and laugh.

Spider-Man, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  19. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I read throught the entire thread. I must admit, from observation of other directories, and the experience of owning a general directory myself those points that Liam made are pretty decent.

mikey1090, Jun 25, 2008 IP
  20. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:

Thanks Mikey, forgot to mention these two:

time-consuming
    Use unmemorable domain names
    Tough to impossible to stand-out
    Ultimately demotivation and site goes down

Event_King, Jun 25, 2008 IP