1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

i stockphoto.com

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by darrens, Mar 21, 2007.

1. kashem

kashem Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes I have used images for the site.

kashem, Mar 26, 2007 IP
  2. NikkiBlue

NikkiBlue Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

I dont think you can use all of the images in free templates/skins and then sell the templates.
    If you modify the images (add brushes, effects) it should be okay.

I'm not 100% sure--they added some new licenses-- you should definitely read them all

NikkiBlue, Mar 26, 2007 IP
  3. edr

edr Guest

Best Answers:
    I use and have used iStockPhoto regularly so I know that every image I display I have the right to do so. At a dollar a pop it's not bad, plus I crop and resize and otherwise change them a bit as well.

Anyone considering the resource - big thumbs up from here.

edr, Mar 26, 2007 IP
  4. mich_alex

mich_alex Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thanks nikkiblue for the infos...i also been asking around about the site regulation on photo used there and still haven't got a 100% sure if the rights to distrubuted is allowed.

let's say i bought a standard licensed stock image and tweak it around or edit the photos to be inserted into my wp theme design and distributed the themes at any theme portal..is that ok?

or let's say i also tweak and edit the photos to be inserted into my requester and client web design or wp theme..is that ok but i have no idea if they going to used it personally or going to released it public....

and i read some section at stockphoto about the licensed faq.....can i used the stock images i bought at dollar perimage as many times as i want?..what i meant was i put the image with different crop or size and style that is to different web and wp design......

yes i know the question kind of odd but better asked an long time stock users than ask the support there..:)

thanks...

mich_alex, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  5. FanAddict

FanAddict Notable Member

Best Answers:
    FanAddict, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  6. stickycarrots

stickycarrots Peon

Best Answers:
    I've heard a lot about it and it seems recommended by most people, however, I have never personally used it. I might have to check it out next time something like that comes up :)

stickycarrots, Mar 29, 2007 IP
  7. NightVisioN

NightVisioN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    istock is just amazing..allways use it

NightVisioN, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  8. hip_

hip_ Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeap, istock is quite good... very much helpful ideas etc. comes from there. I'm also use sxch

hip_, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  9. darzuaga

darzuaga Guest

Best Answers:
    well what it means is that you can use the photo for your own personal use and use it in your site but you cant make money or redistribute it as you wish. you cant sell the photo in a template unless you have full resell rights which you dont. so yeah that is what it means.

darzuaga, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  10. mich_alex

Best Answers:
    well i guess that answer all my question...man..just have to used it in my personal site only then...

does anyone know where can i download a free-used stock image?..no restriction that is...not sure if there's one..will read more faq in istock later on..maybe there's some catch there..:)

:)

mich_alex, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  11. pixel_dust

pixel_dust Peon

Best Answers:
    I love istock and they're canadian to boot... out of calgary I believe.

vanessa.

pixel_dust, Mar 30, 2007 IP
  12. BCRed

BCRed Active Member

Best Answers:

they sure are Canadian. there's even an Ivy Business case about how the company first converted from being entirely community based to having a profit model. made me do a project on them in business school

BCRed, Mar 31, 2007 IP
  13. ECoverFX

ECoverFX Peon

Best Answers:
    I use both sites, with the difference being one thing. The rights on the images. Istock does NOT want you creating templates from their images. In other words - if you're creating header/website templates - istock is basically out. As long as you're creating images fro your own sites, or one time customers - istock is super.

Bigstock on the other hand DOES allow you to create website templates with their images, but you must buy the photo again if your create two templates. For instance, say you buy an image of a dog, use that on a header template that you then add to a collection and sell - that image is done. If you want to use the same dog image on another template - ya gotta go buy it again.

Image rights are funny things, I've been studying up quite a bit. ;)

Thanks,
    Michelle

ECoverFX, Mar 31, 2007 IP
  14. mich_alex

Best Answers:
    hey thanks for the update infos ecoverfx.....i'll check out the bigstockphotos right away.....as long as i can used the images and sell it...i dont' mind purchasing one more time in another templates....for 1 dollar a pop that is..
    well better read the faq there...:)

mich_alex, Mar 31, 2007 IP
  15. ECoverFX

ECoverFX Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a document that I'm writing up right now, should be done before too much longer that explains image rights - and what sites can be used for what purpose. I've been working very hard on figuring it all out, as some lines are sketchy. I've had www.bigstockphoto.com on the phone, and confirmed that I can use the regular images on templates. You can view their TOS here:

http://www.bigstockphoto.com/usage.html

Istock, however - doesn't allow what bigstock does. (No templates unfortunately - and sometimes I find much better images there.) Also www.dreamstime.com is wonderful - but also no templates.

Here's how I work on websites for clients:

I'll ask right up front before I begin the design, "hey - will you be selling resell rights, Private Label Rights, or adding these graphics to a membership site that distributes the images to others?" If the answer is yes - then I head on over to bigstock. If the answer is no, then I can use dreamstime, istock and other sites like www.sxc.hu

There is also another stock site, that you can use for templates called www.morguefile.com

One of the mods there said website templates are OK, and you can find their TOS here:

http://www.morguefile.com/archive/terms.php?
    sid=10c95661f608b8f888a16dc77c5948da&MORGUEFILE=
    ad2efcne2hoba5hbco2qfgegm6

Best to be safe however, and just ask your customer if they plan to sell the design to more than one person. It will save much future grief. The most notorious sites for tracking image use and these people WILL come after you are Getty, Corbis, Jupiter and the like.

Just try your best to understand the terms, and if you have questions ask. Sometimes you'll find an email address or a phone number that you can call to be sure you are within the sites terms. They also have special licensing you can purchase at much higher rates.

Oh, one more site that allows images to be used for templates is www.phototricity.com

It's a new site that has just been created, but should get better over time. (I know the owner, and he's got many more photo shoots set up.) :)

Hope this helps!

Thanks!
    Michelle

ECoverFX, Mar 31, 2007 IP
  16. craptalks

craptalks Peon

Best Answers:
    Their images are nice and i use them quite often. They also have weekly freebie which is cool

craptalks, Apr 1, 2007 IP
  17. NikkiBlue

NikkiBlue Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you plan on publishing this document can you please post the link or PM ME ?
    This would be a good resource to have on file.

NikkiBlue, Apr 1, 2007 IP
  18. ECoverFX

ECoverFX Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I will do that. I haven't decided if I'll give it out for free yet or not, but I just might. It's getting rather long at about 15 pages so far, and I still have quite a way to go... but I do think it will be very handy for all designers to have. Even folks that only want to build their own sites will be able to know where to find great images for free for just personal sites and projects.

Thanks!
    Michelle

ECoverFX, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  19. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    as a freelancer, it is the greatest site you can ever have at your side. I also use it at work. You can't beat the price, and many of the images are just as good as gettyone or Photodisc (except you don't have to pay their idiotic $800/image costs) :)

Pixelrage, Apr 2, 2007 IP
  20. MDStidham

MDStidham Peon

Best Answers:
    I use www.sxc.hu they have a good amount of free images. you have to register though.

MDStidham, Apr 4, 2007 IP