1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I signed my ex-girlfriends phone contract, but now we're broken up

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by KinzoD, Mar 13, 2012.

I signed my girlfriends phone contract a year ago (she was 17 so she couldn't), and we just recently broke up. Now, because of anger, she is threating to no longer pay for it and instead she's going to buy a new phone and sign her own contract because she's 18 now. Basically, she wants to ruin my credit rating and make the money rack up for me. I told her I no longer want it signed under my name, and I want to shift it over to her since she's of age now, but she refuses. Is this legal? Can I take her to court since she is only doing this to get revenge? Surely anybody that would do this to get revenge is not mentally stable.

KinzoD, Mar 13, 2012 IP
  2. peeplitics

peeplitics Peon

Best Answers:
    Pay the early termination fee ASAP.

There's really no way around this.. it's under your name, and you're responsible for it. The most you can do is try to get the phone back from her.

peeplitics, Mar 13, 2012 IP
  3. anonymous479

anonymous479 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Your're stuck paying for the phone. You're entitled to the phone back. I would ask for it back... If she refuses, sue her for embezzlement. She'll get a nice jolt of a reality and probably have a mild panic attack when she gets served those papers. Then you'll get your phone back, and make her pay court costs.

anonymous479, Mar 13, 2012 IP
  4. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    You're an idiot for signing someone else's contract. If she wants that pretty phone she really likes, let her pay for it, or let her parents sign the contract.

dcristo, Mar 13, 2012 IP
  5. Erica Carter

Erica Carter Peon

Best Answers:
    Before doing smth you should think a little bit.
    I think you should pay all the money now but it would be a lesson for you in the future

Erica Carter, Mar 30, 2012 IP
  6. Grit.

Grit. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Count yourself lucky that she's not building up a debt via the phone. At best, you can just write this off as experience. You can terminate the contract early, since it is in your name, but you will have to pay for it. Just phone the phone operator who you have the contract out with, and organise this asap.

Grit., Mar 30, 2012 IP
  7. kcareconnections

kcareconnections Member

Best Answers:
    I think that if possible you should pay the early termination fee and have the phone shut off. This will make sure that she is not able to build up any high phone bills under your name. Otherwise, i do not think there is much you can do since you signed for her at the tim that the phone contract was started.

kcareconnections, Apr 2, 2012 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    While that seems a good route (and I don't know the law in Canada) she would be exempt because she was legally a minor when she entered into the contract with you.

I'd go to the phone company and let them know the contract is no longer valid because you can no longer act as guarantor and what is the appropriate way to terminate the account. You won't be the first one in this position.

sarahk, Apr 2, 2012 IP
  9. joeyreyes

joeyreyes Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with sarahk. What he suggested was the best line of action you can consider right now.

joeyreyes, Apr 2, 2012 IP
  10. Cucumba123

Cucumba123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Did you bother reading the username of the person you agree with? :p

Cucumba123, Apr 6, 2012 IP
  11. Xch4ng3

Xch4ng3 Member

Best Answers:
    When you signed up for the contract, it was you who agreed to pay the full amount. The ownership cannot be moved.
    You can only ride it out and take this as a lesson.

Xch4ng3, Apr 7, 2012 IP