1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I need some suggestion on VPS specification

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by a3d, Jul 11, 2011.

Hye Dp forumer,
    I have one website that reach 100k+ visitor per day.
    Im currently using Hostgator Shared Baby Plan.
    My problem is when awstats and webalizer running its backup, my website
    will use a lot of cpu usage and this make my site appear as internal server error about 5 minutes to half an hour [ depends when I realized it, I will stop the process immediately ] . Ive ask hostgator to turn off the awstats and webalizer but they refuse and suggest me to upgrade to VPS. I looked at their plan, its too expensive because my website using bandwith around 3000G/month.

Then, I tried to use VPS hosting from HostV, and I use the lowest plan, $39.99 per month with fully managed server. The problem is more serious when Im using HostV,
    the process running in VPS is more compared to when Im using Hostgator. I want to ask why process running in VPS is more than using shared hosting in Hostgator, Ive tried turn off every service except httpd and the process is still high. I looked at cpu usage is about 30-40 in average. I got the highest cpu usage on Hostgator shared for about 2 max only :S I need some explanation and suggestion to VPS specification for this. thanks.

a3d, Jul 11, 2011 IP
  2. aroel

aroel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    that's because your vps is not fully optimized! and i think you use openvz, am i rite?

aroel, Jul 11, 2011 IP
  3. a3d

a3d Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Im not familiar with VPS yet.
    What is OpenVZ? Is it same as Virtuozzo?
    I have been provided with Virtuozzo and Cpanel.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it because I really need the good VPS at this time.

a3d, Jul 11, 2011 IP
  4. aroel

aroel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it's virtualization type...you need to google it out. i myself prefer Xen-HVM.

aroel, Jul 11, 2011 IP
  5. Markwebuk

Markwebuk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, if you are facing issues even on VPS then i will advice you to consider Cloud Server which are based on high end networking technology where multiple dedicated servers are interconnected to form a server cluster which ensure you excellent hosting environment with 100% uptime guarantee.
    Cloud clusters are hosted in our TIER IV facility which eliminates any possibility of downtime due to power or network outage.
    One more important thing is that cloud servers are scalable with huge resources.
    You can PM me if you need any help or more information.

Markwebuk, Jul 12, 2011 IP
  6. saqib889

saqib889 Peon

Best Answers:
    Its is because hostgator servers are highly optimized with cloud linux technology.

it keep the balance of loads around the server, and if your vps is not optimized, also it is not possible to use cloud linux on openvz, you need xen or dedi for it !

saqib889, Jul 12, 2011 IP
  7. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You've made the classic mistake in thinking that a VPS is somehow an "upgrade" to shared hosting. With some companies it is - depending upon the hosting company and their servers - but most VPSs couldn't hold a candle to the performance potential of a shared hosting server.

Some hosts use pretty low-powered servers for their shared hosting - like single quad-core CPU's with 16GB of ram, and a single 2TB drive - but others use massive pieces of hardware with 24 logical CPU cores, lots of ram (48, 64, 72GB) and fast multi-disk RAID systems with hardware controllers. Although a shared hosting server will contain a lot more sites, your VPS could never - ever - compete with the potential of these high-spec servers. If these servers are well managed and not overloaded your VPS will be a dog in comparison, and if you go for a low-spec VPS then you're unlikely to get any additional performance or benefit from it.

RonBrown, Jul 12, 2011 IP
  8. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For 100k+ visitors per day, you really shouldn't be using shared hosting or a VPS. You should really have your own dedicated server, to be honest.

You say it happens when Webalizer and AWStats do their thing. Have you disabled those on your VPS?

WSWD, Jul 12, 2011 IP
  9. a3d

a3d Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I planned on using dedicated but now, I cant afford it until my funds raising back in my account.
    Im planning to get for 2 to 3 years so It can be cheaper. If I get sponsored, its better :D
    The only service that I run is httpd, all the services including logs, web stats were turned off.

a3d, Jul 12, 2011 IP
  10. stach14

stach14 Peon

Best Answers:
    You just need to get a managed VPS server and talk to the support techs to get it optimized for what you are running. Your budget of $40ish is more then enough to get this type of server. Then you just need to monitor your MRTG graphs and see what you are using for RAM/CPU, etc and stay on top of adding more resources to your VPS before it can't handle things. Again the host you choose should be able to help you and provide you everything you need for all of this. Then you can focus on continueing to grow your site and not worry about the server part of things.

stach14, Jul 14, 2011 IP
  11. webmaster12#

webmaster12# Peon

Best Answers:
    Go for a shared VPS hosting plan in dailyrazor. I have used it and it offers a hitch free service.

webmaster12#, Jul 16, 2011 IP
  12. Jamson

Jamson Active Member

Best Answers:
    If your VPS is managed, look into getting their staff to optimize MySQL, PHP, etc. Maybe look into getting nginxcp installed too.

Jamson, Jul 16, 2011 IP
  13. marketingbest

marketingbest Peon

Best Answers:
    VPS is still a shared environment your VPS performance can be greatly reduced by other users on the same server.You should also install lightspeed and get your VPS optimized by your VPS provider and Try to get a XEN VPS as it will have dedicated resources.

marketingbest, Jul 16, 2011 IP
  14. gellystrawberry

gellystrawberry Peon

Best Answers:
    would like to know to which website you are getting 100k visitors/ day !!!!!!!
    i am making $50 from my 6000 vu/day website. So you must be earning $650 per day !!!
    If I am in your position, i will go for a cloud server from softlayer.com

gellystrawberry, Jul 16, 2011 IP
  15. VinCme

VinCme Active Member

Best Answers:
    Your VPS might need either service optimization or further diagnostic, you will need to know which resources you need the most, is it RAM? Disk IO? CPU? Almost every provider using different spices for their server, so you are probably being throttled by one of their hardware limitation.

VinCme, Jul 18, 2011 IP
  16. a3d

a3d Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just using adsense and the niche is not good for making money, Im getting below $100 per day.

I dont have any problem on hostgator shared either cpu, ram or disk.
    but in vps, I noticed it used a lot of cpu usage.

a3d, Jul 18, 2011 IP
  17. VinCme

VinCme Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ahh, I'm not 100% sure, but I think your provider is limiting your CPU usage on OpenVZ based virtualization, like you can only use 2 CPU core with 500 MHz each, but when you are in Hostgator's shared environment, they do not apply a soft-limit on your account, so basically what you see in Hostgator is the load on 8 CPU core with 2,4 GHz each (not sure what their CPU are, but you know what I mean :) ). That's why you are seeing higher load on the OpenVZ VPS.

VinCme, Jul 18, 2011 IP