1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I need help building this sign in webpage

Discussion in 'C#' started by dvdljns, Apr 27, 2011.

Ok. I am using asp classic because it works in iis without installing anything extra. but the scripting language is not important. If js has a solution that would be fine. Php or perl is not an option. I have these folders

1. Fighter
    2. Warrior
    3. Berserker
    4. Paladin
    5. Hunter
    6. Archer
    7. Acolyte
    8. Priest
    9. Cleric
    10. Sage
    11. Spellcaster
    12. Mage
    13. Wizard
    14. Necromancer
    I can build a form with check boxes and even write a asp script that will write it to log file but what I need it to do is write it to the folder selected in the text box and use the name used in the name box as a filename. This is for a guild in grand fantasia and I need a list of guild members their class and their lvl for forming parties. Does anyone know the best way to do this?

dvdljns, Apr 27, 2011 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Should be no problem to get ASP to list the directories that exist in the file system however the moment you add images etc at the same level you will start to have problems. Most people would use a database to get the list of categories and then save the relevant files into the folders (and check they exist). Databases make things much easier.

What info are you saving?

sarahk, Apr 27, 2011 IP
  3. dvdljns

dvdljns Peon

Best Answers:
    A text list of names. nobody will veiw it but me. They will come in put there charector name and check a class and add their lvl. I need it saved in the folder they check in the checkbox. Later I will use the names to build teams. Then the teams will be trained to fight as a unit. But the list, should not be veiwed onlline at all. Or there should not be anything but name,class,level. It will be proccessed offline. but you are right a access db would be better but I do not have the tools o build a db, and really since it is only three things a text file should do.

dvdljns, Apr 27, 2011 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm astounded your hosting doesn't come with a database. Securing those text files will take extra work.
    I've moved your thread to the ASP section so hopefully someone will be able to help you on the text file manipulation etc.

sarahk, Apr 27, 2011 IP
  5. dvdljns

dvdljns Peon

Best Answers:
    It is on my home comp. This is a private system. It will never be listed by search engines. maybe 100 members top. Back before asp.net hotscripts alone had about ten scripts built for this. I never thought I would have this problem and in fact this exact script does exist for wow guilds but in php. I do not believe securing them will be a problem. I will use a redirect script in the folders and remove read permission on the text files.

Thanks.

dvdljns, Apr 27, 2011 IP