1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I Need Good Hosting, Not Cheap Crappy Hosting!

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by FHI, Jul 29, 2008.

I currently have hosting for a couple of pligg (digg type of sites) with Dreamhost, my usage is very small however if multiple people are on my site at once it exceeds my RAM limit (?)

Total Bandwidth Provided: 5480 GB
    Total Used So Far: 0.244 GB

disk usage:268.57 MB

Since everyone advertises only disk space and bandwidth I thought I picked a company/hosting plan that my sites could grow with. Dreamhost now does not seem to have an interest in making their hosting work for my sites even though they offered them as one click installs and knew exactly what I was hosting before I paid them. None the less I am not here to bad mouth them, I am just looking for a new host that can offer me:

A plan that will:

1. Be large enough for my two pligg sites and about 10 wordpress blogs

2. Have 3 different class c ip's, (shared is OK unless my neighbors are shady)

3. c-panels are a must, one for each site with a control panel like hostgator to control them all.

4. I MUST HAVE ENOUGH RAM SO MY SITES DON"T GO DOWN! Please provide up front pricing on your RAM in case I need to increase it.

5. Offer to move my sites over, I have no idea how to move sites with data bases. (Not asking for this service for free)

6. CUSTOMER SERVICE- I sleep from 11pm-8 am, outside of those hours I require a company that has someone with skill to answer my questions in a timely manner. Honestly I might contact customer service once a month with my current hosting companies, I don't pester but I get a little bent when I have to wait hours with a site that is down.

7. PAYMENT- paypal or AMEX Please provide a monthly rate and an annual rate, I generally like to pay for the year up front.

8. Please have a proven track record here on DP (post count + i-traders). I can't risk my sites in the hands of someone that is new or has limited experience in this industry.

I'll have to check my hosting at hostgator, if I signed up for 6 months then I might want to move some accounts from there over, mostly low usage blogs and websites that I bought and forgot about. It would be sweet to have all of my stuff at one location! My hostgator sites use a total of under 3Gigs of bandwidth and 300mp of disk space.

I'm not sure if a reseller plan with some pumped up RAM is my solution, or if I need to step up to some sort of a VPS?

EDIT; I almost forget I need fantastico that is updated as they release updates (not a dusty version).

FHI, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  2. tastyweat

tastyweat Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    It'll cost a bit more, but for that kind of service, I would recommend a reasonable VPS... that way you can keep the disk space low as you don't need much and have dedicated ram/cpu, which is easily upgradeable whenever you may need it.

Although... any idea on how much ram you actually had which was failing / or how much you need?

I can offer you a VPS which will cover all the needs you listed. I have had a few dealings through PM on this site, I'll be creating a thread in a few days to finally get some iTrader ratings!

tastyweat, Jul 29, 2008 IP
    FHI likes this.
  3. hostingspeak

hostingspeak Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I can recommend Totalchoicehosting. My mother has a community and has used them for 3 years now I think. She's never had any trouble. I know another user was talking about their alexa rank, and their alexa is low, but I honestly don't see where alexa means anything. In fact, if the alexa rank is low, it means that their website isn't having a lot of traffic, and if it's low, it means people aren't having to visit it much. Just my .02 :)

hostingspeak, Jul 29, 2008 IP
    FHI likes this.
  4. samcroft11

samcroft11 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    So you need something which can pump out 6000GB of data transfer per month, from the stats you have provided?

You will need to move onto a dedicated server for that sort of true transfer, no way you can get that from a shared provider.

What is your budget?

samcroft11, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  5. hostingspeak

hostingspeak Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    No, he doesn't need to pump that out, if I read correctly. I think the OP was stating that he had that limit through Dreamhost, but he was only using .25 of a GB of data transfer.

6. FHI

FHI Guest

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Not 6000, that is what Dreamhost is offering now, under the 6000 is my actual usage, same as with my hostgator plan, I hardly use any bandwidth or disk space. For some reason the pligg sites like to use RAM and I think my limit at dreamhost was 100 (even though they don't provide a way to monitor it or tell you that it is limited).

Tastsyweat- I have no idea how much RAM I will need, up until last night I never knew that it was even a factor.

FHI, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  7. b7r

b7r Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    i can suggest you use Hostgator... resonable and reliable... 24 x 7 online support too....

b7r, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  8. hostingspeak

hostingspeak Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Honestly, with the specs that you've mentioned and with the resources that you are actually using, I think you are just on an overcrowded server. My mom's community uses a bunch more diskspace and bandwidth than you do, and I know for a fact she uses more CPU and RAM than you do, and she has no problems.

9. hostingspeak

hostingspeak Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Nice affiliate promotion. Do you even host with HostGator?

10. FHI

FHI Guest

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    You might be right. Something is going on there, when I asked them to correct it or how to close my account they were very prompt in telling me how to close my account. I just found out that Hostgator offers plans with more than one IP.

FHI, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  11. tastyweat

tastyweat Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Ok... I was going to offer you a solid but cheap package, but i think even this may be above your needs! It's actually the lowest price VPS I offer at the minute, but I'm sure I could work out something else.

1.2-1.33GHz CPU
    512MB RAM
    10GB HDD
    10mbit guaranteed 24/7, 100mbit burstable, unlimited transfer, but you could expect 3TB (not that you would need it!)

Now... with only 1 Class-C IP, that's $30/month... I'm just finding out now how much a couple of extra IPs will set you back.

There's one more I can do, but IMO it's worth the extra $5 for the higher specs.

500MHz CPU
    256MB RAM
    5GB HDD
    5Mbit burstable to 100
    for $25/month

databases can be moved over, but I'm afraid it would cost $90/hour for techs to perform a service like that :(

12. hostingspeak

hostingspeak Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Yeah, I mean, I could be wrong too though. Without knowing exactly what you are running, there's no telling, but by just guestimating, you shouldn't be having an issue.

The only thing I'll mention about HostGator is, you could run into crowding there too. Other than that, my friend has used them, and they've worked just fine for him. If you don't want to be crowded, find a non-overselling host.

13. tastyweat

tastyweat Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    More than likely! But it does depend on user base.

Unfortunately, through all the hosts I know, the only real way to guarantee CPU/RMA allocation is with a VPS

14. hostingspeak

hostingspeak Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    True, I agree, VPS is more guaranteed than shared hosting, but it can be oversold too. This happens when hosts offer burstable memory and when your VPS starts using that burstable all the time. See what happens is, if you always use burstable, and then somebody needs that memory for their non-burstable use, the server node will stop the processes on your VPS to make you go back to your guaranteed memory. I'm not sure if I'm making sense, but it happens.

15. FHI

FHI Guest

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Alan L.: User may not: a) Use 25% or more of system resources for longer then 90 seconds. <---this is from hostgator. There chat is deadly s l o w !

FHI, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  16. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    FHI, check out our plans at Hosting Lizard here: http://hostinglizard.com/webhosting.php

We've been in business over 11 years now. We are not a reseller and host all our servers on our own multi-homed redundant network. We offer additional IP's as well. All plans have cPanel/WHM. I think you will find that there is adequate space/transfer for your needs.

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to let me know. Thank you.

Mia, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  17. hostingspeak

hostingspeak Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Honestly, I'd go back to what I said earlier. Try TotalChoiceHosting.com. I think you would be really pleased with their service. I don't work for them or anything, but I'm a fan, because they've done a great job, and I've never had any issues with them. Neither has my mother. They don't oversell, and they have pretty good upgrade options so that you can grow with them.

18. FHI

FHI Guest

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I understand. There's really no way that I would know up front if a VPS or other hosting plan would provide me with what I need all the time. My sites have even gone down at Hostgator in the past.

I think my most active (if you want to call it that) blog only gets 2000-3000UV a month, the pliggs sites are less than that, on the off chance someone visits one of my sites they need to be up and running.

FHI, Jul 29, 2008 IP
  19. tastyweat

tastyweat Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Yeah - I know what you mean, burstable speed = great, burstable cpu/ram = terrible. I thought most VPS hosts had stopped that now?

Ah well... my VPS servers don't allow burstable cpu/ram [/shameless plug]

20. tastyweat

tastyweat Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Those are really low specs in the grand scheme of things... imo, your previous/current host have severely oversold their services!

I think a standard reseller package would easily do the trick for you... but obviously with that there's no way to 100% guarantee a shared user isn't using the hardware/bandwidth when you need it :(