1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I need experienced webmaster to review basic, get-started plan...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by neckbone, Jan 10, 2009.

...and yes, I realize "experienced" is subjective. :)

Here's the dealio: i'm a procrastinator. I've been planning to jump into the internet money pool since last summer, but for whatever reason my psychologist hasn't put her finger on yet, i've neglected to do so. I would like to begin making whatever amount of money I can ASAP, and hopefully that number will get larger as I go about my way, focus, learn and blossom. I have two scenarios:

1) I have an idea I would like to create a website around. Let's suppose it's cookies (mmmmmm....cookies). I would like to set a goal of creating a website that not only makes a decent amount of $$$, but is well respected in the chocolate chip cookie community. I'd like to see continued growth over it's lifetime, whether that be six months, six years or six decades (i'd rather the latter). Despite this hack~job of a post, my writing skills are strong, as are my research skills. I assume my first step is to begin writing content....history of the cookie, where to find the best cookies, how to make your own great cookie, what cookie fits you best, interviews with famous cookie bakers, etc. Complete with images of all different sorts of cookies. Maybe even get to the point where I can add a cookie forum. Also, I suppose I need to secure a domain name, such as ihazcookie.com. I would like to have a sleek, professional looking website, but one that loads easily. I have absolute ZERO knowledge of website building....but I figured I could have a website built thru rent~a~coder or some such place. At that point, do I have to maintain that website, or can I rent~a~techie as well? I feel like I have all the puzzle pieces in front of me, and have identified the corner pieces, but filling it in is the problem at this point. Once I have an acceptable amount of content, I launch the site and begin to place affiliate ads, tastefully of course, on portions of my site. Then I watch the money roll in!!! I figure I should be making tens of dollars within six months, no? Or should I...

2) Split my time building the cookie website, and set up strictly an affiliate site, selling dating books, weight loss elixir, fool-proof methods of studying for the ACT/SAT, etc? I don't know much about dating (i've been married for years), weigh loss elixer (i'm a big, fat fattie) or studying for the ACT/SAT (I barely scored well enough to gain admission to state college)....so the text would be mostly high-gloss filler. To be honest, i'm not entirely comfortable with that....is there an ethics issue with selling stuff like this that may, or may not (probably not) work?

I'd like to be making SOME money within a couple of months...but if the first scenario is more likely to pay off in six months, i'd rather skip scenario two. Anyway, this is probably confusing to read, as it's been somewhat confusing to type (while drinking beer and eating smoked clams).

Obviously i'm a noobie fetus, so any answers to my questions, or general direction from an experience webmaster would be appreciated.

Despite how this thread reads, i'm very serious about my planning.

neckbone, Jan 10, 2009 IP