1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I Need a Better Host -- Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Foxxy, Apr 5, 2014.

I've been using hostgator for what seems like an eternity, and I've pretty much had it with their craptacular servers and their uneducated support staff. It's time for me to move on.

At least once a month my server will go down completely for a matter of hours. I think that once it was a scheduled outage, but usually it is just some mystery that they never seem to explain. On top of that regularly occurring outage, I frequently have problems accessing MySQL, which inevitably results in my site generating 500 errors. On a $90/month VPS package, I expect more.

I've complained until I'm blue in the face, but conversations with support usually result in me doing all of the work to check things out while they just post still checking messages to me every 5 minutes and then say they are opening a ticket with a higher level of support. That higher level of support typically comes back to me the next day with an explanation that in no way relates to my problem, making it obvious that they do not know what they are talking about.

So, I've had it. I need a new home for my sites. Here's the deal...

- Please do not recommending any shared hosting. I'm not at a dedicated level yet, but I go VPS all the way and do not normally use the cheapest VPS option.

- I don't mind paying as long as I get what I'm paying for. That's where hostgator is failing me, so please do not send me messages that are $1 to get started. I want good service, not a bargain basement price.

- I need a company that can transfer my sites for me, as I do not have time to. But more importantly, to do it correctly. I believe I had to redo hostgators transfer once because they did not copy my entire database. Mickey Mouse stuff.

I have had enough with BS. I just need a clean running environment, that's all. Who should I take a serious look at?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    Foxxy, Apr 5, 2014 IP
  2. Shagoon

Shagoon Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You should try knownhost.com, they have very good VPSs at decent prices.

Shagoon, Apr 5, 2014 IP
  3. yogayog

yogayog Peon

Best Answers:
    You should check our MilesWeb's VPS Hosting plans at http://www.milesweb.com/vps-hosting.php I am using their hosting service from over 2 years. I have found their support staff extremely helpful and knowledgeable. They offer managed services and should help you with data transfer.

yogayog, Apr 6, 2014 IP
  4. Afsary Junaid

Afsary Junaid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Check Gogetspace.com vps plans. Cheapest with quality.

Afsary Junaid, Apr 6, 2014 IP
  5. kohashi

kohashi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Other than a generic VPS, you haven't stated any other requirements. There are a lot of managed VPS providers out there with good reputations. Of the ones I am tracking A Small Orange, SiteGround, LiquidWeb, KnownHost, WiredTree are all pretty well liked and people seem to think the support is pretty good.

kohashi, Apr 7, 2014 IP
  6. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    I am using eleven2 their support replies are fast. But it is kinda headache when once in a while your customized settings reverted back to default as they said someone modified the names of some ini for instance. Which I told them I as a shared hosting customer certainly do not have such access. I don't like to be pushed around. Overall other than this, their services are generally ok. You get what you pay for

wisdomtool, Apr 7, 2014 IP
  7. obosor

obosor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do you need cPanel, Management service?

obosor, Apr 12, 2014 IP
  8. Mr Lee

Mr Lee Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    DigitalOcean is a new player. $5 a month for a VPS server. You can't beat that.

Mr Lee, Apr 14, 2014 IP
  9. JPC-Sabrina

JPC-Sabrina Member

Best Answers:
    If you are unsatisfied with HostGator an EIG company then make sure you look into the other providers they have acquired as well. You don't want to sign up with the same company that is essentially using a different name. Overall, look for a hosting company that has a significant number of years in the industry, over ten is a good sign. Also consider the number of contact options you have for support like live chat, phones, e-mail and ticketing systems. Finally, when you are considering pricing, look into the overall value of the extra features that are included in the plans. A $5 VPS plan can do an about face on pricing once you have everything you really want in place.

JPC-Sabrina, Apr 14, 2014 IP
  10. jackdolphin89

jackdolphin89 Peon

Best Answers:
    try dreamhost they have good reputation for providing reliable hosting services along with 24/7 customer support. also use coupon code(60DIS1Y) will save you $60 instantly.

jackdolphin89, Apr 16, 2014 IP
  11. Sammi Rose

Sammi Rose Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There are so many web hosting company which have something unique in their packages, Best services or Best 24*7 customer service facility with quick response time and accurate results or their servers are best equipped with latest software or they kept themselves updated to avoid any outrages. It all depends on the Web Hosting company when you select for subscription.

Sammi Rose, Apr 16, 2014 IP
  12. phptechie

phptechie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm.. I understand your bitter experience with Hostgator.

Probably you can checkout Godaddy / Bluehost / Rackspace as they have different packages with pricing from cheaper to expensive that you can choose to fit your bill.

I have personally used Godaddy & Hostgator for my own projects & have got very good support from both of them.
    Bluehost / Rackspace , I have used for my client's projects & they too provide a professional level of support.

So choose wisely before ending up with frustration again.

phptechie, Apr 17, 2014 IP
  13. SlimCharles47

SlimCharles47 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm sure you've chosen by now, but anyone else who is looking for solid managed VPS, I would recommend checking out either Future Hosting, BlueHost, or WiredTree. They all have top notch support staffs and great service and are far more reliable than HostGator.

SlimCharles47, Apr 22, 2014 IP
  14. suraj4u

suraj4u Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    +1 for SlimCharles

But not limited to try my VPS service

suraj4u, Apr 22, 2014 IP
  15. JonesJim

JonesJim Peon

Best Answers:
    Wiredtree will serve your mamaged VPS needs Foxxy. I have been with them for a couple years and from my experiences, their managed servers, both vps and dedicated, are second to none. I've been through alot of the providers mentioned above and wiredtree level of service has been by far the best. Not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for and still within your $90 current budget depending on your resource requirements.

JonesJim, Apr 29, 2014 IP
  16. dbuilderman

dbuilderman Greenhorn

Best Answers:

We've signed up with Euro-space.net VPS hosting and so far server is working really good. Speed is high, no downtimes or outages experienced during last 1.5 month since we're with them. So, highly recommending you to view their services, as according to your request they should help you:
    - With VPS plans
    - They are not a huge corporation, but guys definitely know what they are doing, prices are not very cheap, but service is really good
    - They helped us to transfer our websites to the VPS from the WHM reseller account, free of charge.

So, I'm pretty sure you can get decent service for the budget you mentioned earlier.

dbuilderman, Apr 29, 2014 IP
  17. Gadstrup Motion

Gadstrup Motion Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure where you're from but ind Denmark I'm using Gigahost.dk. They are very relyable and I host about 25 sites on their servers. Their webhotel gives you the opportunity to host endless numbers of website on one webhotel. You have aproximately 34GB space and it costs DKK 29,- (about 3£ or 5$). They host numerous domainnames so you can probably find your domain. Wanna hear more?

Gadstrup Motion, Apr 29, 2014 IP
  18. Collard

Collard Banned

Best Answers:
    Have you already made choice OP? I can name vpspath.com vps services. Prices are low and performance is good.

Collard, May 22, 2014 IP
  19. Karuna17

Karuna17 Member

Best Answers:
    Give a try to Dailyrazor and Bluehost -- I've had good experiences with them and their support teams.

A friend of mine has bought a plan from demonvps.com. Two months, - no complains yet

Karuna17, May 28, 2014 IP
  20. Punk Media VP

Punk Media VP Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry for advertising, but we're looking to help out businesses and ventures with hosting. Check out https://www.punkmedia.net
    If you like us, great. We're just trying to reach out to those who have over-payed with other hosting providers. Hope we can help you. And yes, I am a real person. Let me know if you have questions. ~Mike.

Punk Media VP, Jun 4, 2014 IP