1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I made semifortune with Adsense...without a single penny investment

Discussion in 'Reporting & Stats' started by jamx03, Sep 1, 2006.

folks,

I started as a noob here and over a period of time did learn lots of good things. Thanks to Shawn for that. Now it is time to give back something to all of you who are trying to make that extra buck. I do not have many posts here but this one post will help you a lot if you figure out how to use it.

I will keep it very simple.

1. Study the market carefully
    2. Keyword selection...(this is the best part and time consuming and requires brain storming)

I usually go for keyword which is high paying and not heavily searched. You can figure out this from overture. Now when I say not heavily searched that means it is for specific market so people are intersted if they are connected to that particular market but general people are not interested. eg. keyword "sex" - everybody is interested and look at how many times it was searched.

keyword "travel" - everybody is interested, but keyword "adventure travel" and now you have narrowed it down to group of people who are interested only in adventure travel.

These are just examples for you to understand...as of now even "adventure travel" is generating tons of sites when searched in google.

Truth of the matter I am creating a site in area where not many people have ventured before and at the same time I make sure that keywords are high paying. I am getting 5 clicks but that generates 10 bucks because each one is close to $ 2.00.

I don't even own a domain name. I am just using blogger.com and create multiple blogs. For first few days I keep on posting and once I realized that I am in top 10 of google I slow down.

Repeat this process * 20 and voila you are getting amazing good returns.

3. Content Creation: Google does not like duplicate content so I write fresh and that at times may be difficult but hey if you are smart you can find help on the web for peanuts.

This is my strategy and it worked best for me because I don't have domain name, no hosting service nothing.

I sitdown on my computer for about an hour a day....log into blogger.com and update my blogs.

Try it you will not be disappointed. I think the toughest part here is finding a right niche/market which has keyword click value of more than 1 dollar.

My two cents to this forum

and thanks to Shawn for his wonderful efforts.

keep it up fellas.

Jamx

jamx03, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  2. JC007

JC007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your sharings.. the story is very motivating :)

JC007, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  3. WinterWind

WinterWind Peon

Best Answers:
    Motivating and useful for start running Adsense for the first time, as I'm about to

WinterWind, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  4. jamx03

jamx03 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Winterwind,

I seriously started using adsense in March 2006 and this forum is the best for noobs as I was starting completely blank and didn't want to spend much money in experimenting so I went on blogger path and it worked. Just keep trying and don't loose heart. Persistence is the key.

Good luck.

Jamx

jamx03, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  5. BlueDevilMedia

BlueDevilMedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nice post! Just wondering what you consider a semifortune?

This is definitely a great way to start learning about adsense!

BlueDevilMedia, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  6. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Another high value keyword, low competition route to mega wealth. If only it was that easy.

qwestcommunications, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  7. jamx03

jamx03 Active Member

Best Answers:
    The reason I used the word "semifortune" because I know many people here make lots more money than I do by using adsense. Shawn and Shoemoney are few of them. I still have to reach to that level but I have to sharpen my skills. I am learning everyday.

Jamx

jamx03, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  8. jamx03

jamx03 Active Member

Best Answers:

I never said it is easy but if you are research oriented and constantly on the look out you will find it. Just look around you carefully while thinking adsense in the back of your mind and probably you will find the nice niche and definately will be less competitive. I am finding new niches lot easier now a days because now I know where to look for it but it was difficult for me in the beginning.

Jamx

jamx03, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  9. sd2001

sd2001 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I'm wondering what you call a "semi-fortune." I've been here since June and before that I didn't even know what "FTP" was. In the last 3 months, I have done quite well (my standards, of course) in that I have proved to myself that it is worth my time to pursue this field instead of leaving it alone. I haven't made a million, of course, but I have made 5 figures. So, that leaves me wondering what others that started in my general time frame have made. Just a little curiosity among my peers, if you will.

BTW, if I could offer one piece of advice to you is to start more sites with your own hosted domains. Maybe I like to be "better safe than sorry" but I like to keep variables that concern my money down as far as I can get them. In one fell swoop, Blogger can delete all your blogs. I've heard of it happening to many, many legitimate blogs. If you're making a "semi-fortune" then you should be able to afford hosting or even a dedicated server.

At any rate, good luck to you.

sd2001, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  10. jamx03

jamx03 Active Member

Best Answers:
    The answer to your post are in red color.
    thanks,

Jamx

jamx03, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  11. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    $50,000 is a semi fortune for sure.

qwestcommunications, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  12. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Good thread, nice motivation for the noobs. But I wonder how long before you grow bored with these blogging-for-dollars blogs of yours. Making a living on the Internet is great; making a living on the Internet on something you enjoy is better; making a living on the Internet for the sake of making a living is work.

jackburton2006, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  13. sd2001

sd2001 Peon

Best Answers:
    Good stuff, man. Good to hear you're backing it up. I considered using a few Blogger blogs (and may still do it) but I have a ton of different projects going right now. I guess I'm at that stage where I have more ideas than technical skills...haha.

And no, I don't just use Adsense. There are PLENTY of other revenue streams out there. In fact, Adsense has only comprised about 10% of what I have earned so far. I don't like to have all my eggs in one basket, so to speak.

Look at it this way: You spend you time and energy making a site that you hope people will come to just to click away from on an Adsense ad. If people are return visitors, then they are going to ignore the Adsense ads even more because they are there for the content that you are providing. Essentially, you have to keep building more and more and more traffic, just to get those "first time visitors" to click on your Adsense ads because the return visitors most likely won't. That also means that you are gearing your site more towards new and one-time visitors instead of your loyal, target audience. It doesn't make sense to me.

So I figured I would use other means as well. I got into this business to be my own boss, not be a slave to Google. I mean, I have nothing against Google but there are too many other revenue streams out there than to spend my life looking for the almighty perfect Adsense ad placement.

So look up some good affiliates that jive with your content. Talk about them if they are relevant (and they should be). If people want it, then let them get it. Never ask or suggest. I just use lines like, "So I put up this new advert for this widget to see what demand would be for it. I have one like it so I wanted to see what my readers thing...blah blah blah" My personal ethics only allow me to do that with stuff I really do have or have experience with so I'm not lying. Actually, I'm doing nothing more than giving a review, as it were.I ask for lots of feedback too. Feedback gives you two things: it lets you know who your readers are and what they want and also makes them take "mental ownership" of their site. Think about how you feel about DP. Most of the regular posters here think of it kind of like "their hangout." Let your audience do the same for your site. Return visitors already trust your site, so they are going to be much more likely to trust your words and your reviews of products/services too.

And then have the Adsense sprinkled in to monetize anyone else.

Hell, I had a few sites that had just Adsense on them and they did crappy. I'd rather give them (or sell them) to someone else that can make more with them than for me to fret over them. Some people are Adsense Gods. I'm not. I don't like to analyze tons of CTRs and eCPMs and placement, etc. I just like to talk to my readers, because that's what I feel I am good at (hense the loooong post). In that respect, Adsense just ain't my gig, per se. Affiliates just work better for me.

Of course, I'm not trying to steer anyone away from Adsense or anything. Hell, it's my personal goal to make 100K with Adsense alone in the next 12 months. Will I reach it? Probably not, but I'm damn sure going to try. And I'm not about to lose my hair over it, either. ;)

Shoemoney and many of the other ethical big boys around here have said it a million times - diversify, diversify, diversify. I see posts on this forum every day from people that have gotten banned from Adsense and it sounds like they are about to take a nose dive off a tall building. If I got banned, I'd be mad (mostly because I play by the rules) but I wouldn't just hang up my PC and go flip burgers. I'd just look for another revenue stream to fill the hole.

Personally, the main reason I don't focus on Adsense is that the more web surfers get savvy, the more they consciously avoid anything that says, "Ads by Goooooooooogle." However, people like to shop - they don't like to be sold to. So if you let them shop on your site you have a winner.

Just my thoughts.

Whew :)

*Edited for grammar and to add a few more things*

sd2001, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  14. lightlamp

lightlamp Peon

Best Answers:
    Excellent post, jamx03. Could you tell us a bit about how you find niches? For example:

1. what number of keyword searches do you consider worthy of building a blog? 3,000? 10,000? 50,000? more?

2. how do you evaluate competition? i.e. do you evaluate how many sites are looking to compete on that one keyword? do you have some kind of ratio you look at?

Thanks!

lightlamp, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  15. Mido

Mido Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great thread for me but this is what i need u to clarify
    second Q
    is this strategy make 50.000 for you ?

Mido, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  16. sd2001

sd2001 Peon

Best Answers:
    Look up and look at what Jack Burton said.

"Making a living on the Internet is great; making a living on the Internet on something you enjoy is better; making a living on the Internet for the sake of making a living is work."

If you get caught up in the numbers off the bat, then this isn't going to work out for you. It's going to suck. A lot. I hate going to work but I like sitting down at my computer and messing with stuff I like. So I make sites about stuff I like. Then I monetize them. But that's in the final steps.

Of course, there are other things that you can figure out later, but if you're just starting out, I would get a good, solid foundation of a few sites you are really going to want to work on before worrying how much you'll make.

Of course, noone is ever going to listen to this advice that was given out here years before I got here and will be for years after this post, but I wanted to say it just once.

sd2001, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  17. bEvolution

bEvolution Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice motivating post, i am also intereted in the "finding niches" part of the post, :)
    But thanks anyways for the great posts.

bEvolution, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  18. itsall3

itsall3 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I never know when to go for a niche -- say you find a keyword with 19,000 searches a month, and there are 4,000,000 pages about that keyword.

What is the search to site ratio you should go for? Searchs vs Sites about the keyword.

Nice post jamx03, and well done.

itsall3, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  19. Telmari

Telmari Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi guys, this was an interesting/helpful thread so I figured I'd jump in with a few comments/questions/whatever...

How many blogs do you have that you update every day? I would think that finding unique, interesting, niche-related content for 5+ blogs with diverse topics every day would be time-consuming, to say the least, even if you really really like all the blog topics.

Also, as some of the above posters mentioned, how do you determine:

A) The traffic worthy of making a site vs the competition (I know things like SEObook's keyword tool and nichebot.com can help with the analysis, but what stands out to you particularly as a 'profitable niche' that you believe you can get good SERPs with by using this method?)

B) The keyword value/price for your niche on adsense? The Overture tool is a helpful kind of tool in general, but what happens when there's a discrepancy between what their rates are, and what your total ends up being, on Adsense, after Google takes their cut?

Additionally, what happens when other sites figure out those keywords are profitable and begin to compete with you, possibly using real sites/domains which may rank/perform better?

True in life in general. So many people think they're 'down and out' just because one bad thing happens when there are a hundred better out there, for those who want them. I'm still figuring this part of the game out, but at least am trying to keep it in mind in my strategies :)

Going from not knowing about FTP to 10k+ in 3 months is pretty darn good by my book. Have any secrets to divulge other than all that the people've already digressed on here in general?

Very interesting, all in all. I didn't know you could do anything that respectable in niche-blog sites, though, though it seems feasible if you can keep putting up good content.

Telmari, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  20. jamx03

jamx03 Active Member

Best Answers:
    In this post I will try to answer each one of the above posters...

For Jackburton:

I spent only about an hour or so updating my blogs, rest of the time I enjoy browsing here on dp and some other forum and learning few new technical skills and ideas. I am very well employed so even if I make 100k it still would not surpass my existing income but yes if it goes to 200k I would seriously consider quitting my current job. So essentially right now I am having fun on net and not working on the net for living.

For sd2001

Well, you sort of mentored me today. I realized that what you are telling has some serious weight and I did plan to diversify, it is just that I am bit lazy and things are going pretty well right now with adsense but your point is well taken and well taken seriously.

For Lightlamp and bEvoultion

You are essentially asking to give up my secrets which at this stage I can not divulge. There are no hard and fast rules but I go by number of pages available to number of searches and at the same time cost of keyword clicks. Amazingly in my experience most of the time google's pay out closely match to the data available from overture bidtool. What I personally think that if there is a high paying keyword then even if I do not have tremendous traffic still I will be ok for obvious reasons. Also try to keep high paying ads to your site by appropriately changing content, because for the same keyword you will find ads which pay 20 cents to 2 dollars and you want 2 dollars ads on your page not the 20 cents ads. You guys know how to figure out which is high paying ads.

For itsall3

The case scenario you have provided is the one I would never try. So far my best pay out is from a site where keyword was searched only for 600 times and there were hardly relevant 40 sites but it was highly specialized market and I could write a good blog on it.

I think you guys can figure out rest yourself. Read more and more posts from shoemoney, sd2001 and other good dp regulars. Even if they do not want to share they share good stuff and that helps.

keep it up guys.

don't loose your heart, if I can do it you all can do it.

Jamx

jamx03, Sep 1, 2006 IP