1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I made an open-source toolkit for developing with HTML, CSS, and JS.

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by grayshift, Nov 5, 2019.

[​IMG]

Hi guys,

I made an open-source toolkit for developing with HTML, CSS, and JS that I would like to share with you.

Components

GitHub repository

grayshift, Nov 5, 2019 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Shame you're too new on these forums to post links... But once I tracked down grayshift.io...

First impressions are everything, and the illegible colour contrasts far below accessibility minimums is NOT an auspicious start for a tool that's supposed to help people build websites. Nor is the massive amount of whitespace and utter lack of unique content of value on the landing page. There is little to nothing for search to hook onto, or to tell users why they should even give a flying purple fish about your product.

Looking at the taskwell "freebie" it's the typical train wreck of ignorance, incompetence, and ineptitude I've come to expect from site/template builders. Endless pointless DIV for nothing, presentational use of classes, button + JS doing input + CSS' job, SPAN for nothing, gibberish use of numbered headings (How can you have a H6 before you even have H1...H5 even present), lack of media targets on the stylesheet LINK,etc, etc.

I mean seriously, if you don't know what's wrong with using needlessly crypic and presentational classes like:

<div class="d-flex flex-wrap mb-5">
                    <div class="d-flex align-items-center mr-auto mb-5 mb-md-0">

Code (markup):
    You probably shouldn't be making tools like this or telling others how to build websites. Hence why that free sample page blows 64k of markup on delivering 873 bytes of markup -- likely not even 8k of HTML's flipping job. (and that's me being ridiculously generous). That it also requires 139k of CSS in two files (again with no MEDIA targeting) much less 380k of JavaScript in 5 files on a page that I don't see doing anything to warrant the PRESENCE of Scripting. Hence the overall 687k+ of code in 7 files doing the job of around 32k of code in two files. Code that is painfully convoluted, hard to work with, hard to maintain... But sure tell me how the frameworks made things easier or how this tool makes things better for anyone.

You'd almost think there was some form of bootstrap hidden in the loading somewhere, as that level of derp in the markup is plainly present... oh wait, I see the bundle script being loaded, so bootcrap derpitude confirmed. The ONLY thing you can learn from bootcrap is how NOT to build a website, and its stereotypical developer ineptitude is here in spades. You might want to go find a stick to scrape that off with before you go tracking it all over the Internet's carpets.

I have never seen one of these types of tools that was worth a damn, amounting to little more than at best a monument to not knowing enough HTML to build such a system, and at worst an outright scam meant to dupe those who just don't know any better. There is little to nothing it appears to spit out I would let any client deploy, and I'd suggest deep-sixing the entire project before you go suckering more nubes into thinking this is how sites are built.

deathshadow, Nov 5, 2019 IP
  3. grayshift

grayshift Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't mean to sound rude, but if you believe this nonsense, maybe you shouldn't be working this. I'm not even gonna bother explaining to you how wrong you are on everything.

4. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Apologies if you took that as harsh, but every bit of it is the truth.

1) you don't have enough posts on these forums to post links. FACT.

2) Are you even familiar with the WCAG? Your colour contrasts don't even come CLOSE to meeting legibility miminums. FACT. #ACA9B2 over #F0F0F0 has a CCR of 2.01 :1, that fails even WCAG 2.0 AA for LARGE text! /FAIL/ at basic web design on the very first page of your site!

3) Your first heading in the document is a H6, that's complete gibberish since an H6 means "the start of a subsection of the H5 preceding it". Numbered headings do not mean "fonts in different weights and sizes" any more than HR means "draw a line across the screen". If you knew even the first thing about HTML, you'd know that. FACT.

4) Presentational classes such as those used by frameworks undo all the progress 4 Strict was trying to implement in driving us away from the bad practices of browser-wars era presentational markup. They are the antithesis of competent development and is why if you're going to use classes like "flex" or "align-items-center" you might as well go back to HTML 3.2 and use tables for layout with the CENTER tag! FACT!

Which is why you've got hundreds of K of code doing tens of K's job in that free sample... which does not speak well of the system as a whole. ENTIRELY what I've come to expect when derpy "frameworks" get involved making life harder for everyone. No matter how many "experts" not qualified to flap their yap on the topic sing the praises of derpitude like bootcrap.

That's the truth, and if you can't "bother explaining" why you think I'm wrong, it's probably because you don't know enough HTML or CSS to do so... That or your only intent is to scam people. One of the two.

I could probably clone that template in 48k to 64k of code, and likely need little to no JavaScript to do so -- even including the tabs. If scripting were present it would be backfills for IE8/earlier if the client cared about that... which being the design uses flex, it's already broken in that regard. Ever heard of :target and :checked in CSS?

5. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Is that because you can't? @deathshadow has probably forgotten more than you've ever known!
    From what I can see all you've done is styled some bootcrap elements, any clown can do that.

malky66, Nov 5, 2019 IP
  6. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Not just any clown, but a gray shifty clown who appears knows even less than I do about "everything".

Spoiltdiva, Nov 5, 2019 IP
  7. grayshift

grayshift Peon

Best Answers:
    If https://deathshadow.com stands for good accessibility and best coding practices, I'd rather be a clown. I'm out.

8. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    "Ask and ye shall receive". It is truly gratifying when wishes come true, no?

Spoiltdiva, Nov 5, 2019 IP
    kk5st likes this.
  9. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Love how he dives for the crappy little personal page where the template is meant as a joke, rather than either of the ones in my signature. Probably didn't get the joke -- of trying on purpose to look like 80's CGA/EGA text -- either.

Even if the forum template is going in the trash as soon as I have time since it's just a paintover of SMF's stock... but yeah, blow right past the sites about ACTUAL web development.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019