1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I made a big mistake - Please help urgently

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by selecttouch, Jun 29, 2017.

I am really disappointed with myself as I made a big mistake and got the URL totally removed from Google. Here is the story and I request the pros to please suggest me someway to recover from this blunder.

My site was doing pretty well in Google search result until I read this article where it said, shorter is the permalink, higher is the change of better Google ranking. I was fool to believe that article without much research.

The article explained how the traffic of a particular site increased drastically when this owner changed the permalink of a POST (not talking permalink structure in wordpress). He said this post was on second page for a good keyword but when he changed permalink of this POST, the article jumped to #5th !

I decided to try that and changed the permalink of this post of my blog which was on 2nd page for a good keyword. In this article it wasn't told that when we change permalink of a post, we need to setup re-direction to new permalink as well.

I thought I made good changes and soon I will see the results and decided to waited for like one week. After one week, suddenly my post disappeared (probably because of 404 errors) from Google search results and this newly created permalink got indexed separately.

I checked in Google with query "site:mysite.com" so that all the indexed pages show up in results. All the pages showed up (Google indexed the newly created permalink separately and old one was removed) but the old permalink didn't.

I did bit of research and found, we have to set redirection as well whenever we change permalink of a POST and immediately installed redirection plugin (this is a wordpress blog). Here the problem was, I didn't have old permalink so I took help from way back machine tool and found old permalink and finally re-directed the old permalink to new one.

Now my problem is, the old permalink is not indexed anymore and new one doesn't show up for this keyword, How can I recover the ranking? What should I do from below options?:

1. Should I change the permalink back to old one? (but I think it will again index it separately).
    2. Since I set redirection, I will get the ranking back after few days?
    3. All the links I created for old permalink will get re-directed to new one since I set redirection and I'll get the ranking back?
    4. Should I try to submit the old permalink in Google? (may be through Google Web Master Tool -fetch as Google? or any other option)

If none of the above option is appropriate, what the best I can do?

selecttouch, Jun 29, 2017 IP
  2. hiuufji

hiuufji Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. Should I change the permalink back to old one? (but I think it will again index it separately).

No submit your sitemap to google webmaster tool and redirect all old permalinks to new one with 301 moved permanently

2. Since I set redirection, I will get the ranking back after few days?

yes but you need to make backlink for new url.

3. All the links I created for old permalink will get re-directed to new one since I set redirection and I'll get the ranking back?

Use 301 moved permanently

4. Should I try to submit the old permalink in Google? (may be through Google Web Master Tool -fetch as Google? or any other option)

yes submit sitemap to google and fetch as google is good option

hiuufji, Jun 29, 2017 IP
  3. selecttouch

selecttouch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thankyou very much for the reply.
    But when I will get the ranking back for the keywords the old permalink was showing up? It was ranked for highly search volume keyword but now the URL (old permalink) has been removed from search results. The traffic has dropped too much. Please help.

selecttouch, Jun 30, 2017 IP
  4. selecttouch

selecttouch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can you get new URL ranked for the keyword?

selecttouch, Jun 30, 2017 IP
  5. manish dhanda

manish dhanda Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    why should you have to change the url. No, don't change it. Make your content updated daily. Update your content daily for 10 days and you will get rank easily on the first page.

manish dhanda, Jul 2, 2017 IP