1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I lost my hosting.... LACEHOST revoked my hosting and will not refund me

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Acecool, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VTTE

VTTE Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I'm on Josh's side here.

It's a bit disappointing that the argument had to extend this long.

I have purchased web hosting and would be sorely disappointed if my databases were destroyed and then my account banned and losing my money.

Good luck to both of you in resolving this.

It would have been wiser to just give him some sort of refund.

VTTE, Sep 21, 2008 IP
  2. ishan

ishan Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have not said that posting a review is not allowed. We welcome both positive & negative reviews. The problem is with contents of tickets, which is not allowed, & that is why your account has been terminated.

Again, a negative review is NOT the problem here. Posting internal details, like contents of tickets, is NOT allowed, & Josh has accepted these while signing up.

The database has not been lost by us. We have provided Josh with the IP of the person who removed the database. You can take anyone's side, the truth will not change by how many people side with Josh & how many side with me.

Ishan

ishan, Sep 21, 2008 IP
  3. riotz

riotz Peon

Best Answers:
    So say, what if your tech support was clueless and unable to solve a problem he had, and he posted his problem and your tech's response, on DP, in order to try and get a solution. That would give you grounds to terminate him as well, which is completely ridiculous.

You totally come off as doing it out of spite, not because your policy gives you an out.

riotz, Sep 21, 2008 IP
  4. ishan

ishan Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If my techie had not been able to resolve a certain problem, they would have forwarded it to higher technicians or outsourced it to an expert.

We use a combination of PlatinumServerManagement & LiquidWeb's Heroic Support, so this would not be a problem for us.

We are following pre-written policies here, & when someone agrees to it, he/she is expected to follow it.

Even after terminating an account, we still have backups of that account, (though the backup does not contain the database, as we have already checked that).

Put yourself in our place & think what you will do if a client treats you in this way, not just on DP but in other forums , blogs & more.

ishan, Sep 21, 2008 IP
  5. Acecool

Acecool Peon

Best Answers:
    You said on webhosting talk that I REMOVED the database, you said I owned up to it which is bogus!!!!

I never removed it.. Also on webhosting talk you AGREED with me that you gave me the IP OF LAST LOGIN!!! which would have been MY ip and not the person that deleted my database!!!

Acecool, Sep 21, 2008 IP
  6. Tox

Tox Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow man Josh I feel your pain man I am with you all the way, can you please provide the name of that company hope this does not happen to any DP member never, to many cases like this lately.

Tox, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  7. tinimini

tinimini Peon

Best Answers:
    I think, in this whole matter or scene, lacehost will be in much more lose than you.
    because youll be loosing few $100, but lacehost will loose their reputation.
    and no one will even dare to go with them.
    they shouldnt have done it. Sad!!

tinimini, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  8. Subliminal

Subliminal Active Member

Best Answers:
    yeah i agree. a proper reaction could be a refund or proper restoration of the database as soon as the problem was risen. To restore a database that doesnt work means either the backup was unsuccesfull or the transition to the new datacenter failed in some part.

Good luck to both

Subliminal, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  9. lalitnagrath

lalitnagrath Banned

Best Answers:
    i also had bad experience with Lacehost , they had deleted my website and all it s contents for being a warez!
    but earlier Ishan has mentioned that Linking to Warez is allowed
    with no database backup i was completely f*ked up , as i had putted 6 Months of hard labour into the Site.
    i was left with no income option ( i was making 300 $ per month from my website)
    getting it again has been difficult task with which i am struggling till now .
    but that was five months back and i had forget about it

but when this thread came up ,i cannot stay silent.Ishan should refund josh as it is error on Hosting part!

lalitnagrath, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  10. deakster

deakster Peon

Best Answers:
    Did he not post the screenshot after his account was terminated?

deakster, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  11. jamuna

jamuna Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good policy:D:D:D
    But you should allow him to take back up the remaining data.
    Anyway the lesson is "beware of cheap hosts"

jamuna, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  12. ishan

ishan Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So, are you telling me that I deleted your database ? Do we not have anything better to do ?

Name of the company is LaceHost.com , & against 1 false bad review we have 28 pages of positive reviews. Check my signature.

Done what ?
    Any company would terminate you if you breached its policies. Josh had agreed to the policies while signing up, & he is expected to follow them.
    Our reputation is very good, actually & will stay the same, check my signature.

Please read the thread carefully. We did restore an earlier backup for him, but it does NOT contain the database. He would have been eligible for refund, had he not breached our policies.

Lalit,
    I had said warez linking is allowed until we do not receive any complaints (DMCA). If we did, our datacentre would remove the account, without even informing us. You had agreed at that time.

Also, I offered you a full backup which you could use to move elsewhere, you agreed & later you said that you have already moved elsewhere.

I have your PMs to prove this.

Please do not add fire to this dispute by claiming false incidents.

He posted the ticket details before he was terminated. You can check date/time of post (in our sales thread) & the date/time of termination.

We protect both, ourselves & our clients by our policies. Josh had agreed to the policy while signing up & is expected to follow it.

He can contact us for the remaining data, but he would have to clear up his false claims first. Even when we terminate accounts, we do have a backup of the account our backup drives.

It is not Cheap hosts, it is low-cost hosting, & 1 bad customer with a false review among over 250 satisfied DigitalPoint clients is not bad :cool:

Ishan

ishan, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  13. lalitnagrath

lalitnagrath Banned

Best Answers:
    dude you didnt offered me any backup or whatsoever .

you got so pissed off by some complaint , that you bring my website down without informing me .
    that just displays , how much you think about your Clients !

14. ishan

ishan Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Lalit, when I say I have proof, I do have proof.

I allowed 5 days for taking a backup & moving.

As the US legal authorities had suspended the account & had control over it, I had to wait till the discussions got over before providing the backup, as I told you.

You said you got a new host & are starting from scratch, I had not forced you to do so.

Please do not accuse me of false doings, you are falling in the ditch yourself.

Ishan

ishan, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  15. lalitnagrath

lalitnagrath Banned

Best Answers:
    yeah i had said i will move out after taking backup but there was no backup as you have suspended my account and i could not log in .

hey dude , i have nothing against you , but the fact that hurted me was that you pissed me off , when i was expecting support from you . and i cannot trust a guy like that

16. jamesterror

jamesterror Guest

Best Answers:
    Read there TOS THOROUGHLY. If your files are still on their system, you need to ask them for recovery, if they have been deleted you'd then be entitled to a refund. You should check there terms, save them and see what it says about termination of contract. I can help you out with legal issues from a UK law perspective.

jamesterror, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  17. ishan

ishan Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Lalit,
    I am getting pissed off at you, now, as you cannot read or understand I guess.

I said I will have the backup ready, which means I would mail you the backup or provide you a link to download it. It is obvious that you would not be able to backup an account once it has been suspended.

Even after I said this , you chose to go with a new host & start from scratch. It was your own decision & we did not force you to do it, so you cannot claim us responsible for it.

I would ask you to edit your posts (or ask a mod to do it) & apologize for spreading wrong concerns about our hosting.

Thank you,
    Ishan

ishan, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  18. xous

xous Active Member

Best Answers:
    To give a little background information I am a Systems Administrator that often deals with TOS/AUP policy compliance. I also do a fair bit of hosting transfers for clients and have dealt with similar issues in the past.

This is draconian and probably would not be upheld in court. Furthermore a clause like this makes me urge all LaceHost customers to either switch hosting providers and/or demand that the privacy policy be changed because it is simply unacceptable.

I admit I would have preferred that he at least blurred out the technicians last names but cannot fault him for publishing the content of the replies. Every place I have worked considers tickets to be potentially public information and so every response is required to professional. If you are worried about your responses to an issue impacting you company in a negative way I suggest you hire better support staff.

Now the original issue that caused the is problem seems to be that LaceHost had the customer hosted on a 3rd parties server and that server was terminated/suspended without a proper backup. Is this correct?

If so the fault lays entirely on LaceHost because 1) they discontinued the server without proper backup 2) they did not already have a recent backup. While working with the client to see if you can find an older backup is better than doing nothing at all it does not excuse the your negligence in losing the data in the first place.

You just violated your own privacy policy as I see nothing in there that allows you to post this "private" information on a public forum.

Ishan:

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm ganging up on you as I'm sure you are a nice guy and do your best to serve you clients as you think best.

Acecool:

I'm sorry for your lost of data but I must stress how important it is to maintain your own backups as hosting companies are not infallible.

At this point if you cannot come to an agreement with Ishan I would recommend contacting paypal to see if they will do a charge back for you. If paypal will not do a charge back you might want to think about taking the issue to small claims court if you feel this resulted in a significant loss of income.

xous, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  19. ishan

ishan Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Wrong.
    It was obviously not a 3rd party server, we would not have our client's data on someone else's servers. The server was suspended & terminated due to a problem with the bandwidth measurement (due to which the server provider & LaceHost had a dispute) , & the server provider has accepted their mistake, but terminated the server before that.

We do daily backups & store weekly backups. None of the backups had Josh (Acecool's) database. The weekly backup & daily backup had both been moved to our servers before the earlier server was terminated.

2 backups of 1 account should be more than enough, & if some host keeps more backups, then hats off to them.

Yep, I thought about it when I posted. It was not a ticket , nor a support email (a covered by our policy) , it was a PM. Also, the client was posting wrong information/misguiding information about us, so we used the PM as proof against it.

I have mentioned this a number of times. He is not eligible for refunds. The problem is not with the money, its just $10 or something similar. It is the attitude which is the problem here. Bashing up a host for something which is not the host's mistake is not something a good guy would do.

ishan, Sep 22, 2008 IP
  20. Mystik

Mystik Peon

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with this reply..

You terminate the guy just cause he posted tickets and did a bad review. Sounds like to me you did it cause your mad that he said bad things about your hosting. Im happy with the host i use and haven't had a problem yet. I read this whole thread and i know what host i will never use.

Sorry to hear about this ACE.. once you loose so much its hard kinda almost starting over. I hope you at least get your money back which i personally think you deserve.

Mystik, Sep 22, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.