1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I keep posting public domain content on YouTube, yet YouTube marks it as third party

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by bigfoot12, Feb 2, 2015.

I have been trying and trying to upload public domain music recordings and films for commercial use on YouTube that I found by simply searching on google.

Every attempt I have made gives me a "matched third party content" and disallows me to monetize it.

Some sites I have visited - archive.org, freepd.com, musopen, digital history - ALL sites that claim they have free public domain resources anybody can use.

People write or say that the music is public domain, but when I uploaded it back onto YouTube, I always get a copyright notice.

Where can I get free music to use in my videos for monetization that IS NOT COPYRIGHTED and won't get my videos taken down by the youtube CONTENT ID system???

bigfoot12, Feb 2, 2015 IP
  2. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    ...for non-commercial purposes (probably)

Agent000, Feb 2, 2015 IP
  3. VictorDNP

VictorDNP Peon

Best Answers:

Right, you cannot use something which is in public domain to earn money monetizing it

VictorDNP, Mar 4, 2015 IP
  4. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    That is simply untrue.

browntwn, Mar 4, 2015 IP
  5. VictorDNP

VictorDNP Peon

Best Answers:
    I might be wrong. Can you draw some sustainable content project which monetize content which is in public domain?

VictorDNP, Mar 5, 2015 IP
  6. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I think your mistake is in using the term "public domain". By definition, works in the public domain are free to use. See wiki for a simple definition:

Works in the public domain are those whose intellectual property rights have expired,[1] have been forfeited,[2] or are inapplicable. Examples include the works of Shakespeare and Beethoven, most of the early silent films, the formulae of Newtonian physics, and powered flight.[1]The term is not normally applied to situations where the creator of a work retains residual rights, in which case use of the work is referred to as "under license" or "with permission". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain

People are calling works "in the public domain" when obviously some aspect of it is not in the public domain. So, while works of Beethoven are in the public domain, you cannot simply take a recording of some orchestra playing Beethoven and use that in a youtube video because the orchestra will own the rights to their performance of the work. What you could do is perform Beethoven yourself on the piano or something and record and use that all you want - and monetize it anyway you want.

browntwn, Mar 8, 2015 IP
  7. VictorDNP

VictorDNP Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I was speaking of some other stuff. In this case totally agree with you

VictorDNP, Mar 10, 2015 IP
  8. djlnr

djlnr Peon

Best Answers:
    So it takes Wikipedia to make you submit to the fact that one simply cannot use someone else's work to make money? Besides, what sort of humans now live on the planet where creation means nothing as they continue to use and remix what we grew up to aka the originals.. I knew the creative/inventive humans were dying out when MySpace wasn't seen as the first ever YouTube, I used to upload my own produced music whilst 99% of other users uploaded well known released tracks totally not of their own which in turn earned lots of recording companies lots of money seen as how Web stream is classed as public performance's in the digital musicology of things.. Last but not least it seem's the 'You' in YouTube means nothing just like the 'My' in MySpace did, everyone is back to USING aka Monetising other works to better their life, oh dear. .. shameful. .

djlnr, Jul 25, 2017 IP
  9. pmf123

pmf123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Who does it say it is copyright to, it will list the rights holder.

Youtube have a library of copyright free music anyone can use.

pmf123, Jul 26, 2017 IP