1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I just removed 1000+ one way links to my site from un-related websites, good idea?

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by verbs, Aug 22, 2006.

I've read in a few places that having a bunch of one way inbound links from places un-related to your website makes it harder for the search engines and spiders to determine your website's theme.

What I did in the past was put a link to my website in my signature that I used on a few un-related message boards.

I cannot get any of the search engines to register my key words, so I just deleted these unrelated links. Did I do the right thing by deleting these links?

These links did have my keywords in the anchor text however.

verbs, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  2. Gatorade

Gatorade Peon

Best Answers:
    I would think that the more inbound links you have the marrier. I would never delete incoming links.

Gatorade, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  3. verbs

verbs Peon

Best Answers:
    But if you have more incoming links from unrelated than related sites, would that inhibit the search engine's abilities to figure out what your site is all about? :confused: I've been reading as of late that it's quality over quantity.

verbs, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  4. Gatorade

Gatorade Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think that inbound links can hurt you in any way, as long as you aren't linking back to them. The more chances of someone coming across your link the better. Do you use relevant anchor text for your site in your links from these sites? If so, I would leave them. The search engines will get your keywords from the content on your site and some from the anchor text that is linking to your site.

Gatorade, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  5. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    In my experience. That's rubbish! The more links there are the more traffic you will receive. It can't be any plainer than that. I have thousands of inbound links from all different types of sites, directories, search engines with all different anchor texts. You wouldn't believe the queries that are used to find my site. But hey! It's all good!

By the way. Keep using alternative anchor texts. It widens out the target market.

Col

Cheap SEO Services, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  6. verbs

verbs Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmmm....I do use relevent anchor text and do not link back to them at all. I recently switched all my keywords around about 2 months ago, but some of them I've had for 6 months still have yet to be indexed by any of the major search engines.

verbs, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  7. felix77

felix77 Peon

Best Answers:
    Lets separate SEO from ways of generating traffic.. the more inbound links you have ...be they on non-related sites.. but if they cater to the same demographics as you then dont think it should make a difference cuz it will generate traffic..

felix77, Aug 22, 2006 IP
  8. Ganceann

Ganceann Peon

Best Answers:
    What you should do is look at getting quality inbound links.

Forum links etc are not classified as quality so may only bring small benefits to your site. If you focus on gainin some quality inbound links (article marketing by using relevant keywords in the article content), you can then increase the relevance and quality of inbound links.

Ganceann, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  9. verbs

verbs Peon

Best Answers:

I do focus on good inbounds, but I figured I'd use my thousands of posts on other messageboards to my advantage :)

verbs, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  10. tyggemannen

tyggemannen Guest

Best Answers:
    Keep the links.

tyggemannen, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  11. BFTUK

BFTUK Banned

Best Answers:
    You should have kept the links.

BFTUK, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  12. verbs

verbs Peon

Best Answers:
    They're back up

They were only down for about an hour or so :D

verbs, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  13. GULLIVER

GULLIVER Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess you own kinda link farm or so. Am I right?

GULLIVER, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  14. BlueDevilMedia

BlueDevilMedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Incoming links can't hurt a site no matter where they are and what the anchor text is. If it did, I would point thousands of garbage links at my competitors sites ;)

BlueDevilMedia, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  15. verbs

verbs Peon

Best Answers:
    Um, no. I have an obesity help website, and these links came from the signatures under my posts on message boards. I'm not quite sure what you mean. :confused:

verbs, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  16. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Umm, it can be if the keywords are not competitive or keywords that people don't search.

No one has mentioned this but I would be careful about adding 1,000 links at the sametime. This could trigger a Google filter, I'd be tempted to add the links over a period of time, and yes, use different anchor text and don't fire them all to one page - spread them out a little.

DarrenC, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  17. bobby9101

bobby9101 Peon

Best Answers:
    should have kept them

bobby9101, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  18. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Doh! Just re-read the title - you removed them?! If they were forum signatures, then they would have carried a very small amount of weight.

DarrenC, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  19. verbs

verbs Peon

Best Answers:
    That's what I figured was if they carried little weight, but made it more difficult for the search engines to indentify the purpose of my website, then they might be more of a hinderance then help.

verbs, Aug 23, 2006 IP
  20. verbs

verbs Peon

Best Answers:

The anchor text in them are keywords people search for. Something I've noticed from doing link exchanges with industry related blogs was that I could gain as much as 100 to 800 links overnight depending on the size of the blog site if I get added to their sidebar. This has happened a few times to me already. The amount of links I have on the internet pointing to my website has more than tripled in the last month, from say 900 to over 3000.

verbs, Aug 23, 2006 IP