1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I have figured out what Google is doing!

Discussion in 'Google' started by NewComputer, Mar 4, 2005.

You are going to hate me for this....

The better results I see with MSN and Yahoo!, the worse they are getting with Google. Thus, Google is inverting MSN and Yahoo! database... j/k ;)

I don't know what is going on, but I continue to drop and I looked over their 'guidelines' and I cannot see one single thing. I am a small company not trying to fool anyone, just to be found for my local market (and sometimes globally) for the geo-targetted keywords that I should be found.

The results they are serving up for 3 geo-targetted keyword phrases are absurd at best. THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF MSN AND YAHOO!.

As of yesterday, MSN was now my #1 referrer. Sorry for the rant, but this is just pissing me off. I am not changing my site because I know it is designed properly (unless you have some suggestions ;)) and they SHOULD index accordingly. I am not trying to post #1 for the term Google or Microsoft or any huge keywords.

NewComputer, Mar 4, 2005 IP
  2. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm reversed. I do awesome on google, but my MSN refrences have tanked. If msn loves backlinks, it hates mine. Yahoo is doing better than the past though. Its interesting.

lorien1973, Mar 4, 2005 IP
  3. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is EXACTLY what I am saying....

4. Chrissicom

Chrissicom Guest

Best Answers:
    Well I am #4 on Yahoo and #3 on MSN and nowhere in sight on Google with one site and I am #7 on Yahoo #4 on MSN and nowhere in sight yet again with another site on Google

But I have stopped complaining because my ranks on Google have never been better than they were on Yahoo and MSN, I had better rankings than now but I am still #1 at google.de, google.at and google.co.uk for uk searches so it just seems Google isn't considering my sites international anymore lol

Chrissicom, Mar 4, 2005 IP
  5. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    For main keyword phrases:
    #1 google, #3 MSN, #5 Yahoo
    #7 google, #1 MSN, #1 Yahoo

I have noticed many competitors from the last 6 years are gone completely, but the names of some I can't remember so I don't know if they are out of business or just banned???

debunked, Mar 4, 2005 IP
  6. palespyder

palespyder Psycho Ninja

Best Answers:
    For main keyword phrase:
    #1 google, #1 MSN, #2 Yahoo

I have one competitor that I swear is sleeping with someone at google, they come up #1 for most of our target keywords. hating it...

palespyder, Mar 4, 2005 IP
  7. dejaone

dejaone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    after the update, Google tends to serve somewhat relevent, but not really relevant or useful results. MSN and Yahoo return both highly relevant and some irrelevant results.

dejaone, Mar 4, 2005 IP
  8. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm thinking google botched this update pretty bad. I think they got a bit over zealous in trying to block seo and now the results are much worse than msn or yahoo. I hope they pull their head out of their @$$.

mopacfan, Mar 4, 2005 IP
  9. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting theory, but there are too many examples of sites ranking high in all three SEs to accept the 'inverse' theory as fact.

By the way, I rarely hear anyone who ranks well with Google complain about relevancy.

I busted out of the sandbox on Feb 7 and I think Google results are greatly improved :)

/*tom*/

longcall911, Mar 4, 2005 IP
  10. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    Yea, it was meant more off the cuff than anything. But the more I look at IIS based servers etc... the more I start to scare myself....

11. Jim bob 9 pants

Jim bob 9 pants Peon

Best Answers:

What is an ISS server?

Jim bob 9 pants, Mar 4, 2005 IP
  12. Josh

Josh Peon

Best Answers:
    Im number one on yahoo and msn for two keywords, and nowhere to be found on Google.. its strange. I actually like a microsoft product for once ;)

Josh

Josh, Mar 4, 2005 IP
  13. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    It's IIS and it means Microsoft Internet Information Server. Basically, using Microsoft based software to run your server instead of Linux and the others...

14. da22in

da22in Peon

Best Answers:
    It's been a helluva day. I've had great success on MSN, like many, owning top ranks for most KW's and phrases. Yahoo has been mediocre at best but improving slowly.

Until today I've been relatively non-existent on Googe, all my major KW's are now #1 and #2 on G. I hope it sticks. This particular domain is less than six months old.

I take back all the mean things I said about Google....they're great. It's Yahoo! that really sucks....yeah! lol

da22in, Mar 4, 2005 IP
  15. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    I have very similar rankings across all 3 engines, I don't buy the inverse theory. I think they just have different weightings for BLs, Content freshness etc..

Design Agent, Mar 4, 2005 IP
  16. goplanit

goplanit Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure about everyone else but I'm #3 on Google. #3 on Yahoo and #4 on MSN for search term exotic plants so at the moment I can't see any problems.

goplanit, Mar 4, 2005 IP
  17. gchaney

gchaney Peon

Best Answers:
    Isn't that how it work? The one that ranks you is the bomb, the one's that don't, well....get out the raw weeners.

Cheers

gchaney, Mar 4, 2005 IP
  18. Arnie

Arnie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Arnie, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  19. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Buy ADWORDS guys :) :p :p :p

anthonycea, Mar 5, 2005 IP
  20. NewComputer

Best Answers:
    As much as I may agree with you Arnie, the consumer deserves to be served the most relevant sites for searches. The searches that I was #1 for were many that were geo targetted for a mid sized community with a very rare name.

I will remain loyal to Google, they still have the easiest ways to search the web. Their results however, have taken a turn for the worse and the consumer deserves better. We as webmasters etc... always trying to find that edge should be hard pressed from time to time, but the results should never waiver if they are the best for the consumver.

NewComputer, Mar 5, 2005 IP