1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I have created my first website and I am asking for your feedbacks

Discussion in 'Websites' started by richardm55, Jun 1, 2012.

In previous years I have read many books about HTML, DHTML, CSS and Javascript but I still had no idea how to start building my websites. I had real problem how to do design it but this January I have attended 7 weeks course (just 2 hrs in a week only) and I have had to create my own website so I have built it. It was really good motivation to start. I built the first version in the beginning of February and then I have gradually developed it by adding new pages and altering the menu and some elements of my website. Because we used weebly in designing so it was much easier to start. Here is address of my first website http://black2colour.weebly.com. This website is about restoring and colouring all sort of photographs. Please give me any feedbacks about my website. I realize it does not look professionally yet and it still needs a lot of improvement. After some time I have noticed a lot of limitation in improving pages so I have been thinking to start to build new website using only html and css codes by Dreamweaver for example but I can do it using another html editor. Now I am looking for better html editor with good html and css code validator. I have still problems with matching colours for my websites and maybe I will steal some ideas from free templates or even I use them. I have been also thinking of trying Joomla. Some people here have encouraged me to try WordPress and even I have downloaded it but I was not convinced to it at all. Maybe it is right software for designing blogging websites. So that's why I will try Joomla which is rather suitable for all sort of websites including business ones. I think CMS will help me to build professional website with less effort than doing everything from scratch and also I hope to have more control over html, css and javascript codes.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    richardm55, Jun 1, 2012 IP
  2. papiskMUSE

papiskMUSE Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i like the design, clean and simple yet fitting the whole color of your business. The only 2 things i would criticize would be the logo, it looks like done in paint ugly ugly ugly! the other ding is your headings background needs to be changed something to suit the colours of the whole website, the color atm is ugly!

papiskMUSE, Jun 1, 2012 IP
  3. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much papiskMUSE for your sincere comment about my website. This is really what I need. Maybe you are right about headings background colour. I still have problems with matching right colours and I will change it into more suitable then.
    I would like to say something about my logo photos. I have done them double on purpose because they symbolize nature of business and they refer to my website's name black2colour. The left photo is very old and was taken 40 years ago so maybe it looks like a paint. Of course, I could chose other photos for my logo but I have some sentiment to them.

richardm55, Jun 2, 2012 IP
  4. OnlineAwareness

OnlineAwareness Peon

Best Answers:
    Not the most exciting design, but clean and effective. Loads and works quick too.

Logo definitely needs work. And maybe instead of purples in text boxes etc just use different shades of grey to get a web 2.0 look.

OnlineAwareness, Jun 2, 2012 IP
  5. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much for your comment. Which purples do you mean? In logo text is in orange and blue colour. Maybe you meant background colour of text boxes in headlines?

6. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    thats really nice, seriously well done.

i would recommend removing your email address from the home page, put on a contact form somewhere and replace the email address with a link to "contact us" or put a nice graphical button linking to the contact us page.

just my thoughts

matt_62, Jun 2, 2012 IP
  7. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you matt for your comment. You think if I put graphical icon of email linking to contact up page on bottom of front page just below the facebook like iit and twitter button it would be better place?

8. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you Michael for a nice comment and I hope it is not just compliment. I am not sure about the coding because I have no full control over it due to doing this website with weebly editor which does not give me full access to edit it.

9. tasha_h

tasha_h Peon

Best Answers:
    I would recommend making your logo look a bit more "up-to-date" and when a user clicks on it make sure it returns them to your homepage :) Also add in title attributes to all your images - this will help with seo! Some good content you have

tasha_h, Jun 20, 2012 IP
  10. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your commend and some piece of advice. There is problem that I have created my website on weebly which graphical interface web editor and unfortunately I have not full control over html code and I can not add title attributes to those images, only alt attributes and I have added them to the most of them.
    What do you mean more up-to-date logo? You mean newer images in it? I have especially created logo from 2 the same images with symbolic meaning showing that it is about converting black-white photos into colour ones. I have chosen this old black photo that means something for me.

richardm55, Jun 20, 2012 IP
  11. freelanceinphp

freelanceinphp Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Richard,

I have noticed that you haven't give a link on your website name icon. Also, highlight your social share icons at top right side of the page.

I like your services :)

Regards,

freelanceinphp, Jun 20, 2012 IP
  12. xtrapunch

xtrapunch Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi Richard,
    First, I would like to appreciate the idea of having a website for the business. It is very important. You need to consider a few points.

1. Avoid using a free website service such as Weebly. Get a domain ($10 per year) and hosting ($50-80 per year). It will make your website look more professional.
    2. Use WordPress.org to create your site. Use any good WordPress theme (Wordpress.org/extend/themes; smartwebworker.com/wordpress-themes).
    3. Use Photoshop/GIMP to create a decent header.

All the best.

xtrapunch, Jun 21, 2012 IP
  13. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your piece of advice and I really appreciate. I will put facebook and tweeter icons at top-right corner as you advised. You mean website name icon as logo in header on the page top? Best regards

richardm55, Jun 21, 2012 IP
  14. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much for your nice advice. Yes, I have been working on new website which will be on my domain. I am going to register one with my name of website as soon as I finish my new website. I will create the new website completely from scratch writing html, css and Javascript codes. I use it Dreamweaver for that. Why do you recommend to use WordPress/org for building my website? I use Photoshop all the time and all work have been done for my website with Photoshop. But header of my website has been made on weebly.

15. Patcoola

Patcoola Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow I really like the photo with all the cracks and you remove them, wow I don't even know how to do that, I assume the missing image it drawn in.

Well the Website it a ok, which is a good thing. But here are somethings that could be better.

header image - awkward, maybe take the two images and mask them overtop of each other showing one half b/w and one half color, maybe make the header thin and simple; just some ideas.

Body - ok, you don't have to change anything.

coding - there's a needless table, you need to replace the table with divs, because of many technical reasons divs a million times better.

- some open script css on the bottom of the page, needs to be an external css file loading from the top.

otherwise it's not too bad.

Patcoola, Jun 21, 2012 IP
  16. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your opinion. I appreciate it very much. I will think about header photos and maybe I will change them.
    Unfortunately, I can not change too much in coding because it is done in weebly editor and I have not too much control over coding there. But I said in main thread I am working new website which will be done from scratch by writing html and css code and this new website will be properly built with everything good for SEO.

17. harsath24330

harsath24330 Peon

Best Answers:
    neat and clean,but design is not attractive - except this super concept

harsath24330, Jun 22, 2012 IP
  18. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your opinion. What would you do to attract my website? Best regards

richardm55, Jun 22, 2012 IP
  19. cmpan

cmpan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Very, very nice. I have only one thing that I noticed. It's absolutely irrelevant to your site design, but I can't help myself, or I should say my detective self.

The second photo down on the home page demonstrating the black and white conversion to color, which is really nice, the black and white looks like an old
    World War II photo, or sometime older. The soldier looks like he's wearing an older military uniform. No? Yes? If yes, one question: did the girls wear mini-skirts back then?
    And the gal on the left, she's wearing a sort of up to date pair of jeans.

It's just a useless observation... but... I love the site! Congrats!

Cliff

cmpan, Jun 22, 2012 IP
  20. ann1976

ann1976 Peon

Best Answers:
    I cannot stress the importance of your logo for branding. Its so important that you have a professionally designed logo, or at least one that appears to be professionally designed.
    Also you might like to add a defined sidebar. The information doesn't seem to be presented in an organized fashion on the page.

ann1976, Jun 22, 2012 IP