1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I have a new blog, any advice would be grateful.

Discussion in 'Websites' started by Wardy547, Nov 11, 2015.

hey im brand new to this site, and also brand new to blogging. i have started a blog which is based round my career change. im leaving my stable full time job as a kitchen manager, to go back to college and university to become a coder. whether it be hardware or software im not sure yet. but this is the point, this will be my journey to share with the world. please visit and give me any advice you may have thanks.

www.from-cook-to-coder.co.uk

thanks Ryan Ward

Wardy547, Nov 11, 2015 IP
  2. Patricia Ann Lee

Patricia Ann Lee Active Member

Best Answers:
    So, this is more like a personal blog? When you planned to establish a blog of your own, what made you think of having one?
    I mean, what is goal or purpose?

Patricia Ann Lee, Nov 11, 2015 IP
  3. Wardy547

Wardy547 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    yeah you could say personal blog, but i am going to be writing about everything i'm learning and writing things that i would have liked to have read, when i was trying to learn it. whilst also blogging about my personal projects and maybe even things i have to reasearch for college and university. i like doing step by steps for people to help them learn stuff but i also like to just share what ive been up to. as long as its based on my journey im going to put it in there. in the long run i want to blog about my experiences in learning all these new languages and how im doing it so that anyone can start at my first post and learn with me.

Wardy547, Nov 12, 2015 IP
  4. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well if you are going to be a coder you will need a thick skin because no matter what you produce there will always be somebody who does not like it. As far as this effort it is refreshing to see an early effort that is not wall-to-wall graphics. Stay with that kind of clean design.

Among the things you need to learn to use early on are validators. For HTML markup use: https://validator.w3.org/

If you had used the validator you would be aware of several errors, plus some warning about semantics. No page should ever have more than one h1 tag; it defines the content of the pages, and lower level h tags are then used to describe the content of sections and sub-sections.

I didn't validate the CSS using the valdator at http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ However it did not you are using the Meyer reset, which I am not a fan of because it is bloated and starts you on the road to bloated pages which is one of the big mistakes that kill novice developed sites.

Overall it is not a bad early effort, and we will be here to help you on your journey, however be prepared for harsh criticism when you mess up, because some of us are pretty aggressive when it comes to standards, best practices, and technical quality.

COBOLdinosaur, Nov 17, 2015 IP
  5. ViolentAJ

ViolentAJ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Which CMS are you using? It seems rather bland, although the content and topic could be very interesting.

As another commenter stated, you need to keep your goal in mind at all times.

ViolentAJ, Nov 17, 2015 IP
  6. kimanierick

kimanierick Member

Best Answers:
    it is very good that you already understand what you want to do and you have a goal. That will be very important in your journey and just be patient and dont give up regardless of the challenges. That is all I can say. All the best

kimanierick, Nov 17, 2015 IP