1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I have 3 incoming IP's that are bandwidth hogs, is it normal?

Discussion in 'Security' started by hmansfield, May 28, 2007.

I have danced around this before, but never a concrete solution.
    I have 3 incoming IP's that are responsible for a major share of my bandwidth:

Right now they are responsible for 50451 pages, and an equal amount of hits, and 1.8GB of bandwidth.
    I backtracked them and they come up as Yahoo. Specifically a number of Yahoo related ISP services around the world for each address.
    My guy is telling me that this is not normal, it's too much bandwidth and keeps insisting that it has something to do with my page translator.
    Currently I have 4500 pages indexed, and traffic is 150 uniques a day, and 2500 page views a day. 5211 hits per day.
    Bandwidth is averaging 100MB a day.

I am saying that these are main addresses for the Yahoo IPS's that they are connected to, and that they are the main source of my traffic.

He wants to block them.

Anybody have any thoughts, or experiences on this, and why these 3 addresses suck up so much bandwidth?

I would appreciate any help.
    Thanks
    (Also this is a new blog, around 50 days old)

hmansfield, May 28, 2007 IP
  2. eXe

eXe Notable Member

Best Answers:
  3. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    OK, but do I really want to restrict a Yahoo address?
    Specifically if, as it seems, it is the main address of so many individual visitors?
    Isn't Yahoo good?

4. eXe

eXe Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ascertaining whether each IP is used by 1 individual person/bot/mining software or shared by many people is the definite way to answer that question.

Try looking in your server logs, if visits from the same IP are sometimes logged as being different OS, screen resolution, browser etc, then it's likely that the IP is shared by multiple users.

eXe, May 28, 2007 IP
  5. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    That is the way it seems, that they are shared by multiple users, based on the amount of individual ISP's on these addresses.
    If that is so...why would so many be funneled into one address?
    I have never seen this before so it seems suspect, and I don't want to be blinded by the fact that these are Yahoo addresses, if there is a problem.

Also, upon further investigation, Hot Jobs, which is Yahoo, keeps coming up, and it (my site) is not an employment site.