1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I guess MSN also has a fresh boost

Discussion in 'Bing' started by fryman, Jul 1, 2005.

We all know that Google seems to have a fresh site boost... you open your site, and after a few days you are ranked top 10 and can't believe it, only to see your site drop like a rock after a couple of weeks.

This seems to be happening with ALL my sites at MSN. It takes way longer than Google for the sites to start dropping, some take a few months, but oh boy, do they drop...

I opened a new site about a week ago. After a few days, I was ranked #8 at MSN. Today, I am #1. I guess I'll just have to enjoy it while it lasts... because all my other sites are showing red numbers every single day in the ranking tool.

For 3 weeks now I have seen my sites drop at Yahoo and MSN... this sucks, I just have no idea of what kind of algo those engines are using now.

Maybe I'll just have to continue building sites, let them rank well, and once they start dropping, forget about them and move on to building a new one to replace them

fryman, Jul 1, 2005 IP
  2. Canadianbacon

Canadianbacon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    i haven't noticed this.

For some reason. I seem to rank top three for all my main target sites.... Of course i'm not totally successful, i am working on a few that are Very competitive and much harder to rank.

Canadianbacon, Jul 1, 2005 IP
  3. ashiezai

ashiezai Peon

Best Answers:
    my new site is dropping from #3 to no where in msn now =.=
    even my old site that ranks #1 for a long time is sliding to #3 now ... my backlink is gaining everytime and i do have more bl that the top2 spot in 3 major SE...

My estimation is that msn is now trying a new algo .. keywords in domain is playing a very important role in msn ranking now .. basically my site is the only domain without keyword in the page 1 of SERP .. so i think it will gradually falls ..

ashiezai, Jul 3, 2005 IP
  4. Roze

Roze Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm sure it does...I just put up a personal site for someone and that same day added it to the keyword tracker for his name...he debuted at #1 and has been there for a week. Yahoo and Google are more like 4-5 and 23...for his own name, (it's not a very common one).

Roze, Jul 3, 2005 IP
  5. andy_boyd

andy_boyd Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have a site in MSN that was top 10 for a couple of months, then just dropped to 50th overnight. I didn't change anything at all - it just dropped like a stone. :(

Strangely I am now 12th for my target phrase on msn.co.uk ...

andy_boyd, Jul 10, 2005 IP
  6. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Be patient. If your anchor text is solid, and you have quality backlinks it seems like MSN will reward you for it. I have about sixty different keyword phrases that rank extremely well. I've had weeks where they've dropped off, but they always seem to return to the top 10.

So hang in there. If you ranked well before and didn't change anything, odds are pretty good you'll bounce back. But as I said, one thing I've learned is that anchor text links for your keyphrases are critical and will have a significant impact on your rankings. As was also mentioned, using keywords in your domain name or directories & filenames seems to weigh more heavily now as well, so keep that in mind also.

Ian

Ian, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  7. andy_boyd

andy_boyd Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm now trying to get backlinks to internal pages more ... the idea is to build them up rather than relying on one big phrase for 50% of my traffic.

andy_boyd, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  8. City2

City2 Peon

Best Answers:
    With Stable static links it seems MSN wont drop my sites. On the other hand some sites with co op links drop after a while

City2, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  9. Cyclops

Cyclops sensei

Best Answers:
    That's crap.....just a blatant plug for link vault.

Before you hassle me, I have a site with only coop links on it and it rates in the top 5 for three competitive terms and has done so for a few weeks now.

Cyclops, Jul 12, 2005 IP
  10. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it may be something to do with fresh content rather than a fresh site. I continue to have my site rank well in MSN by adding to it all the time. I would suggest adding fresh content as often as possible and see if your site can rank well in MSN.

Web Gazelle, Jul 13, 2005 IP
  11. sparkimarki

sparkimarki Peon

Best Answers:
    I started a new site about two months ago and have found MSN to be the first search engine to provide anything other than the odd hit. MSN is providing about 60 hits per day and at the moment only about 1% of my site has been indexed by them. Hopefully I will get a lot more when other pages are indexed but who knows!

sparkimarki, Jul 16, 2005 IP
  12. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Take what you can get. MSN rules!

Web Gazelle, Jul 18, 2005 IP
  13. Kierslee

Kierslee Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that only time will tell between the two. I tried to get Link-Vault set up on one of my sites and all I could get were the test links. The admin's were slow to respond to my inquiries in the forum but nothing they suggested worked for me. I ended up dropping them. I may try them on another site later, after the bad taste in my mouth goes away.

Kierslee, Jul 18, 2005 IP
  14. Uban

Uban Peon

Best Answers:
    I am going to agree with Gazelle or at least take his advice.

I had 3 sites, 2 in #1 and 1 in #3, all there using competitive keywords and now they are gone. After further checking, my sites have actually been removed from the index except for 1 and it's now #2. It happens to be my link directory which get's updated with new info from time to time. It's the only page that has survived out of all my other domains.

And as far as new sites, I am having a HELL of a time getting any even listed on the index and they are heavily SEO'd, niche keyword domain name, AND dedicated class C IP address servers. So, now I think I will be working heavily on fresh content added as much as possible and simply wait.

MSN is getting smarter folks. It's no longer a field of overnight opportunities.

Uban, Jul 18, 2005 IP