1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I guess domain age does mean something ...

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by TYPELiFE, May 7, 2011.

I just did some homework on a domain/site I've owned and operated for a very long time and noticed it's FINALLY on page 2 of the (extremely competitive) keyword I've been trying to rank for forever! I haven't done any link building or seo of this site in about the past year, but its position in SERPs compared to the other websites in the niche has jumped. Anyone else experience actually watching domain age affect your rankings?
    SEMrush

TYPELiFE, May 7, 2011 IP
    SEMrush
  2. Tarum

Tarum Active Member

Best Answers:
    Of course domain age is important. Kind of sucks when you are better than all those older websites, but eventually, after some time and hard work, it'll get better.

My friend made the same experiment, 8 year old site and 6 months, first almost no SEO work, second a lot and it didn't even come close.

Tarum, May 7, 2011 IP
  3. LinkGenie

LinkGenie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Domain age positively effects ranking. Search engine like Google trend to give high ranking for aged domain than new domains. But domain age is not the only factor Google consider. Google will couple domain history with domain age to give best results.

LinkGenie, May 7, 2011 IP
  4. piosyd

piosyd Member

Best Answers:
    I just recently been approached by client to develop new website for his real estate business. He mentioned that he had some ugly website many years ago and because it want functional he stop paying for domain and hosting. When I did my usual SEO research i was nicely surprised that his old domain was still available to register and it has plenty of strong back-links from big websites. My client was very pleased to find out that his website was doing very well and in couple of months we had it very good results.
    Aged domains are like a gold hard to find and can be very profitable.

piosyd, May 7, 2011 IP
  5. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And they call me crazy when i say age is an very important factor

w3bmaster, May 8, 2011 IP
  6. hurn1

hurn1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes domain age is important but you can beat them with other factors.

hurn1, May 8, 2011 IP
  7. SEOTranslator

SEOTranslator Member

Best Answers:
    The best acquisition I ever made was buying a 12-year old domain that had just been dropped for just 8 bucks... within a month I had it ranking it as #1, with hardly any SEO effort on my side.

Age is one of the factors Google considers. Not the only one, of course, it it certainly matters. It also happens in the real world: If you want advice from a shopkeeper, will you trust more the guy that has been around since you were a kid or the guy that opened his shop last week?

SEOTranslator, May 8, 2011 IP
  8. Danny0109

Danny0109 Peon

Best Answers:
    So how do we find domains that are old and have a real history?

Danny0109, May 9, 2011 IP
  9. haraa0

haraa0 Peon

Best Answers:
    Go to Go daddy auctions U will find good old domains for around 30-40$

haraa0, May 9, 2011 IP
  10. jack jastin

jack jastin Peon

Best Answers:
    Though there are so many factors that are needed to concentrate on while looking on Google rankings, You can not ignore the domain age that plays a very major role in search engine positioning.

jack jastin, May 9, 2011 IP
  11. C.Rebecca

C.Rebecca Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, it has a considerable impact. I have seen some underground publishers completely rely on domain age for their monetization.

C.Rebecca, May 9, 2011 IP