1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I guess Anthony IS right...

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by fryman, Feb 24, 2005.

fryman, Feb 24, 2005 IP
  2. seank1

seank1 Peon

Best Answers:
    they're not forcing people to start using adwords. they're just tweaking their model.

seank1, Feb 27, 2005 IP
  3. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    You can not blame Google for wanting to make as much money from their pages as possible. They need the money to fight Microsoft and 95% of their cash flow was generated from advertising in the past.

They always have had a higher percentage of space dedicated to advertisements versus other SE's, upward of 50% of their page space was the last figure I seen and it may increase in some keywords down the road.

My contention was that they were mixing up the results with a broader cross section of results to force webmasters to buy ADWORDS (so-called Florida update) and I still see this happening in addition to favoring ADSENSE publishing partners in the SERP's. Google will never admit to any of this insisting that their results are completely organic, but those in the trade including other SE's know better.

What might happen if the SE's (other SE's like MSN & Yahoo) start punishing ADSENSE publishers down the road by lowering them in their search results :confused:

Yahoo has already banned many spam ADSENSE networks and this may become part of the competitions algo's down the road if they are not all already doing it now.

anthonycea, Feb 27, 2005 IP
  4. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Geez... why do people post dumb stuff like this? Did you even read the damn article?

fryman, Feb 27, 2005 IP
  5. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    seen it coming ... seen it coming ...

Blogmaster, Feb 27, 2005 IP
  6. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Fryman, look at it this way, all Google competition including Google themselves are media businesses selling advertising.

MSNBC is a TV network and also now a major search engine (MSN) both are supported by advertising cash flows. Microsoft also has a PC-Less set top OS that will enable TV viewers to get online without a PC, they are advertising it right NOW (ITV).

Yahoo is a media business that has invested in music and in Hollywood, AOL is a division of Time Warner a long time giant player in music and movies, television and publishing (magazines & newspapers).

In the advertising business they give away editorial content to major advertisers in the form of features on the news programs, newspaper or magazine articles (from press releases most of the time) that are a throw in for companies that spend major bucks on advertising programs as part of a package.

Search engines are not different, they sell advertising and will favor major advertisers just like all other media businesses.

With television and the internet converging and search engines getting into the television search area (video search) more search listings in the future will naturally favor major advertisers.

Big bucks will own the top spots down the road and there is no stopping this trend.

7. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    It's like when the Wild West was conquered .. property was free. Look at Los Angeles now...

8. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Where this will lead is the same place every other industry goes, companies (websites) start consolidating to get larger so they can play in a much more expensive and more competitive environment that requires much more technology investment to survive.

So only the strong can survive in any business, this means that your financing will have to be strong to make it down the road just like in any other BUSINESS :eek:

9. ROAR

ROAR Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Spoken like a true robber-baron :D

ROAR, Feb 27, 2005 IP
  10. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    ...the way of the world

11. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    "Wah, wah, wahhhh! Why isn't advertising free?"

Crazy_Rob, Feb 27, 2005 IP
  12. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    Exactly CR, I want #1 SERP's in ALL of my keywords in every search engine for FREE :mad: :confused: :mad:

13. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Anthony, guess what...

I stuck AdSense on a stale product page. We kept getting a fair bit of traffic to this page but no sales so I thought "Why Not?!". The main KW was always 40-50. Within 24 hours of putting AdSense there (and I know the words pay decent rates) the main KW bumps up to #15. Nothing else changed that I know of.

Reminded me of the AdSense publishers getting ranking boost discussion. I'm not going to jump any conclusions but will stick AdSense on another few stale pages to test.

T0PS3O, Mar 1, 2005 IP
  14. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    fryman...

They aren't forcing anyone to do anything. They are doing this to bring in more advertisers from the entertainment industry. By adding a movie show time search "movie:" they are hoping for more direct traffic which will lead to more advertisers WANTING to join.

It isnt a push to *make* people pay.

schlottke, Mar 1, 2005 IP
  15. dirtdog1960theone

dirtdog1960theone Active Member

Best Answers:
    Didn't this type of effort lead to AltvaVista's downfall?

dirtdog1960theone, Mar 10, 2005 IP