1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I got my site listed in DMOZ (took 1 week)

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by cooldmoz, Oct 13, 2005.

DictatorMOZ, not DMOZ anymore

:eek: I GOT MY SITE LISTED in DMOZ IN JUST A WEEK.

Want to know how?
    Just go to any SEO firm and get SEO services. They will make sure, your site gets listed in DMOZ. Every SEO firm got an editor on the pay roll.

Never ever try to post a question to Editors on forums like resource-zone
    It is waste of time.
    Don't even submit your site to DMOZ.
    Just go to any SEO firm and get your site listed.
    It is that simple.

DMOZ is not open to suggestions, they don't respond, they don't listen. They are unto themselves and live in their own world with their guidelines and principles.
    What a joke.

Fools are those who keep posting, asking questions
    "When will my site be listed?"
    "Why did they remove status checks"

And Editors respond with familiar answers copied ditto from their guidelines
    "Whenever someone reviews it, it may take anywhere from 1 day to 1 decade"
    "We did not promise to list your site"
    "Submit and forget, someone may finally find your site 10 years from now. If he finds your site in a wrong directory, he will re-submit it to correct directory. Then wait for another 10 years for your site to be reviewed"

There are some editors, who pick websites from classifieds daily instead of websites waiting for years in queue.
    There are Editors, who don't even review websites. Wow, and they call it volunteering.

Hey, this is my opinion.
    If you are an editor and can't spend atleast 10 minutes a day, then don't be an editor. Just resign. Don't just inflate the number of volunteers and make someone feel, that there are millions of volunteers working on dmoz. This is that simple.
    Editors spend most of their time on forums, repeating what is already there in guidelines. What a way to spend your quality time.
    Most of the Editors, list their sites and just vanish.
    Some of the editors are on SEO firms pay role.

cooldmoz, Oct 13, 2005 IP
  2. mystikmedia

mystikmedia Jedi Master

Best Answers:
    Sorry, but that is bad advice. It is not true. If someone were to take your word for it, and then go to any SEO expecting to get a DMOZ listing as you said, there is no guarantee that their site will be DMOZ listed. I can say with 100% certainty that not every SEO has a DMOZ editor in his/her pocket, so to speak.

mystikmedia, Oct 13, 2005 IP
  3. sridhar kondoji

sridhar kondoji Banned

Best Answers:
    Mystic,

I can see how burnt cooldmoz is.
    It looks like most of the SEOS there have an editor on their payrolls.
    It may not be as bad as cooldmoz says though.

sridhar kondoji, Oct 13, 2005 IP
  4. relixx

relixx Active Member

Best Answers:
    Mystic, guess what?

(look at the attachment)

geez, you got your submission listed in a week? This doesn't mean any SEO company has editors on the payroll, it just means that the editor for that category happens to be doing his/her job.

If you got an SEO company to optimise your site, guess what? All they did is like what hundreds, nay thousands of other webmasters do: they simply submit and forget.

Yes, DMOZ sucks. Yes, it's a dinosaur slowly being crushed by it's own weight. research all the other anti-dmoz threads and you see people have been saying the same stuff as you over and over and over again...

Attached Files:

relixx, Oct 14, 2005 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  5. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    If this would be true we (the DMOZ editors) will have to do some cleaning. Deleting these editors and all the sites they are related to, including all their clients.
    Luckely there are almost no editors that also work for a SEO firm. I only know of one and he is a very good editor who is capable of separating his SEO and DMOZ work. How, easely by not working on parts of DMOZ he as a SEO is involved in.

pagode, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  6. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:

I agree! ---

Some of the editors are good editors, some are not. IMO. I dont fault all of DMOZ. However, the more vocal of the editors seem to be more combative and less helpful, more interested in proving their right for ignoring sites and defending DMOZ then honestly taking well intentioned criticism and trying to improve.

The less vocal editors seem to be the ones doing the job, adding sites and keeping their catagories updated.

Just my .02. All editors arent bad - many are good. Its just, we seem to hear more from the ones who could use improvement.

joeychgo, Oct 15, 2005 IP
  7. yl88

yl88 Peon

Best Answers:
    it depends on ur luck actually, some take ages to be listed and some take only a few week. and it also depends on which categories u submit to.

yl88, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  8. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    And possibly on how well "u" spell in "ur" submission? :eek:

minstrel, Oct 18, 2005 IP
  9. seoindia

seoindia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I too would like to have a dmoz editor working as freelancer in my organization. Pls if u have any references ask them to mail their salary expections. It wonnt be a constraint for deserving candidates.

seoindia, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  10. pagode

pagode Guest

Best Answers:
    I might be willing to work for your organisation depending on what kind of work I have to do and howmuch you are willing to pay. :rolleyes:
    But you must know on forehand that I will in no way let this work interfere with my activities as a DMOZ editor. Nor the other way around. :eek:

pagode, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  11. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If the site is done well and the spelling is correct on the site itself what on earth does that have to do with anything besides proving that sites being accepted on the whim of some editor (and what kind of day he'she is having) is a bad idea?

GeorgeB., Oct 19, 2005 IP
  12. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Quote: Originally Posted by minstrel
    And possibly on how well "u" spell in "ur" submission?
    It's just humor, GeorgeB. :)

Submissions are never declined because of spelling errors. Editors simply fix spelling errors before listing a site. The presence of spelling errors on the site itself isn't a valid reason to reject a listing either, although it may reflect poorly on you in other, non-ODP ways. ;)

Your spelling does matter on an application to become an editor. That's it!

compostannie, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  13. bschneider5

bschneider5 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have heard stories of people getting tangled with these submission jokers and ending up getting blacklisted for being affiliated with them.

bschneider5, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  14. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    This is true. Corrupt editors are removed and sites that pay for listing or even try to pay for listing are banned forever. Best bet is to stay away from anyone who offers to get you listed for a fee, directly or indirectly.

compostannie, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  15. extreme90

extreme90 Banned

Best Answers:
    well personally listed in dmoz will increase ur PR Alot

extreme90, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  16. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Ohhhh-kayyy. Thanks for sharing. :rolleyes:

minstrel, Oct 19, 2005 IP
    joeychgo likes this.
  17. relixx

relixx Active Member

Best Answers:
    First research PR, then post comments about it. It'll take more than just a listing in Dmoz to increase PR

Attached Files:

relixx, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  18. joeychgo

joeychgo Notable Member

Best Answers:

It will? Wow --

You know - I have a site that was a PR 3 - I did a little link building, and got listed in dmoz - now - this update Im up to a pr 4

WOW what a big increase.

joeychgo, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  19. extreme90

extreme90 Banned

Best Answers:
    i already researched alot
    and according to research
    if your site has pr4 and the part of the directory where your site has been lifted and it have pr6 , so definitely in next update your pr will be 5

extreme90, Oct 20, 2005 IP
  20. relixx

relixx Active Member

Best Answers:
    What evidence is there of this? please cite your sources, as I find this rather bizarre, especially as several sites I've found in dmoz happen to have PR4 (and this was just after the last PR update too). Jumping from 0 to maybe 1 or 2 I can understand, but from 4 to 5? that's a big leap. As far as I know, it's takes more than one link (from any site) to jump to a 5.

Plus, if this was the case, there would be more pr5 sites out there :p

relixx, Oct 20, 2005 IP